TRG-S 338 LM bottom metal Question

badaboom

So If I were to replace the factory standard Sako TRG-S Stock.

The bottom metal is molded into the factory TRG-S stock so when purchasing a new or a replacement stock say a McMillan A5 - I would be required to get - NEW BOTTOM METAL ?

Bottom metal meaning ?
Not the box and magazine correct?

Can someone clear this up for me.

Also If I were to order a Mcmillan A5 for this replacement
What would be the perferred options for this stock when ordering?
Pillars installed etc??

Working with a Heavy Match - Lothar-Walther #7 contour barrel.

McMillan told me with this barrel the only stock that would work for me is the A5.

I can have the stock built to use the stock TRG-S Box and MAG well correct?

Thanks in adavance

I'm under the impression that Serengeti made the original bottom metal, that both McMillan and Manners use for the bottom metal inlets on their stocks for the Sako M995 action.

The bottom metal was a one time product, and as such, is becoming quite rare and hard to come by.

Mr. Tom Manners took on a M995 T3 stock build for me. Recommend you contact Manners as well as McMillan to see what your options are for restocking your M995. Both either had the bottom metal, or had access to it, and needed to add 150 bucks to your stock build because of it.

By the way, Mr. Richard Near makes a nice base for that action, and Jard makes a trigger for it.

I believe your max mag working COAL for a repeater will be around 3.750 with the M995 magazines.

Good luck with your build.

Bottom metal meaning ?

"Bottom metal" would be the black item in the picture below. On the Sako M995 this is a plastic assembly that was molded into the stock. It is hard to remove, and not damage it and the original stock in the process.

dms.gif

This picture was borrowed from the Seekins Precision website. His detachable mag assemblies are very popular with LRH'ers due to their high quality and long working length COALs.

I really appreciate all the good information and recommedations for sources of this equipment.
THANKS

I still have a small collection of Bottom Metal that I purchased from Serrengtti. I handn't realized they stopped producing them. Certainly a welcome improvement on making the M995 a "real" rifle..but then the reason Sako created that original stock was to save $$$$$$$$$$$$..

USOPTICS also makes a rail for the M995 action. I have have installed many of them and they work well.

jpronto-Very good of you to post pics. This thread ought to be a sticky for M995 builds.

Do you have the colors/percentages used on that McMillan swirl pattern in the picture you posted by chance?

jpronto-Very good of you to post pics. This thread ought to be a sticky for M995 builds.

Do you have the colors/percentages used on that McMillan swirl pattern in the picture you posted by chance?

When I have some time, I will try to dig up the information.

Regards,

My TRG-S is in a McM A5.

The bottom metal is as pictured. You use the mag catch and the folded "spring" from the existing rifle. A bit fiddly and irritating to remove the mag catch and this leaves the old stock useless. I wish they would just provide the new parts.

Aside from that it's pretty good. As with the std factory stock the mag tends to drop out at the back and hang out of the bottom metal a bit. Sako could have done a better job on this and a true mag "box" to insert the mag into would have helped, but yes, Sako was saving cash. McM try to make the mag box area very tight to avoid this type of thing. It sort of works, but I bent the spring to try to avoid the problem. As I use the rifle as a single shot I haven't bothered much, but will look at this aspect later. A bit of silicon to create a jam fit may help, but it's not my way of fixing things on rifles.

This is my only complaint.

I'm going to change to a proper recoil lug later this year, as the standard molded in "lug" is a poor excuse for one and in 338 LM it will be worse than my 300 WM. I strongly adivse you try a washer type lug as on a Rem 700 and bed as per usual.

Not to highjack this... Autorotate, have you used the Jard and which did you get, a kit or complete trigger?

I like my TRG or actually my M995 very much...
LRHWAL

I have a chance to pick up a 995, but do not like the cheesy stock and bottom metal. I also don't like the detachable mag. It is not secure at the back, limits C.O.A.L.. and looks like an ugly growth on the bottom of the stock.

It's just possible that MK V bottom metal could be fitted to the action, and a MK V stock could be bedded to the action. I haven't done precise measurements because the rifle is not mine, but rough dimensions are 7.75" action screw spacing front to back screw. A MK V is approx 8.125". If the cheesy notch in the bottom of the receiver ring was dovetailed, a lug was fabricated and driven in, and then T.I.G. welded only on the ends, not front and back, (warpage) it could be drilled and tapped 1/4 x 28tpi in the middle of the lug for the front action screw. A MK V stock could be bedded in 2 steps from the existing flat bottom inlet to the round bottom 995. Sounds reasonable to me.

Mauser action screw spacing appears to be about 1/16" longer than the 995, and Rem L/A spacing is way short. I looked at the Rem first because of availability of stuff, the round bottom receiver, and the add-on recoil lug. Too short just doesn't work though.

Not sure if I'll pursue this rifle. It is in .416 Rem Mag, and I've got that caliber bracketed, so the rifle would be a donor to me. With a truly fine action, but crappy trim.

I got a 995 barrel off this site through the largesse of Autorotate before this came up, and checked it for crossover to a different action. As far as I can tell, it's a metric thread of 1.055" major diameter and pitch between 16 tpi and 18 tpi. My lathe has change gears and threading tables for metric threads, so a custom barrel in a boomer caliber could be fitted pretty painlessly. The bolt face also looks super easy to open up.

Bottom line, I'm very impressed with the potential of this action, but not the rifle as a whole. Too many compromises.

I'm chewing on it. Would be an interesting project. Tom

TRGS41.jpg

I'll try to take a better pic once home from work, but consider the TRG stock -- it's a straight drop-in for the TRG-S action. You'll need a TRG trigger or you need to modify the TRG-S trigger to fit ( on TRG the safety is inside the trigger group, on TRG-S it's in the traditional top location ) but if you decide to fit the original trigger, you'll also be needing a custom trigger guard. Also, M995 magazines will not fit in the TRG chassis. I went for the TRG trigger and magazine route.

The TRG chassis adds a pound in weight which I consider a fair trade as far as improved ergonomics go; My M995 was a straight shooter already but I would throw a flyer every once in a while ( putting a 5-shot group from sub- ½- MOA to "just" sub-MOA ). With the TRG stock accuracy feels more repeatable, as this crow (368 yards) would testify. The range could've been double, no problem.

ColdWaterCrow.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.