Tracking Point Demo Video - Impressive

As I said, if you are looking for a guy to quietly ride the middle of the road, acting like a friend to both sides while really only looking out for myself... that isn't me, and that is not how I run any of my companies. I may be more financially successful if I just kept my mouth shut and never got involved in any controversial conversations, but that is not a price I'm willing to pay. I owe it to our customers to be straight with them in all our dealings. Issues that divide the shooting community really get under my skin, because it puts us in a position to do the work our enemies are suppose to be doing. It's something I'm very passionate about. Perhaps to a fault. I'm not saying I'm for or against this tech as it pertains to hunting. It's not out yet, and no one knows what it's actually capable of.

Is my view really that hard to get behind Brad?

In a nutshell, boiled down, all I'm trying to say is that we should be careful when rallying against emerging technologies in the shooting world before they are even on the market. The more we divide ourselves, the easier we are for our enemies to conquer. That is all I'm trying to say.

I don't find that to be too argumentative. That's a positive message in my opinion. Am I wrong?

"Is my view really that hard to get behind Brad?" (Arrogant)

"If I just kept my mouth shut and never got involved in any controversial conversations," (Prideful)

the only problem I see with that system is it takes any resemblance to fair chase and throws it strait out the window. If you have to use that sort of means to take a game animal and are not disabled then you need to get closer and take a shot you are capable of taking normally.

I AGREE, no one should be allowed to hunt game with it,but also see this tecnolagee is neat.

I just read at thread on AccurateReloading about a new long range "system" - very high tech and seriously impressive. They have a video here.

NO, I have no financial or other interest in this company or product.
It's an amazing technological feat if it works as advertised but it's not for me, and I think they'll have a huge problem with the anti's over fair chase resulting in it not being legal for hunting in many states for very long.

Actually, we're judging him from behind our keyboards as well. Everyone judges everyone else. I don't have a problem with that. What matters is that he's judging someone, and then clearly wants to keep them from doing something as a result of that judgement.

Forming an opinion about something isn't wrong. In fact, its very American and should continue. Acting on that opinion to restrict someone else, well that's not in the best interest of the sport. Not even a little bit. Especially when that restriction is being encouraged from within the shooting community, targeted at other shooters. What's worse yet is a knee-jerk reaction to emerging technologies without understanding in the slightest what they are truly capable of.

Really, it boils down to people wanting others to travel the hard road they traveled in the past for no other reason than they had to travel it. That, combined with a bit of ego in that it's nice to be one of the few that can effectively shoot at long ranges consistently. This happens with every advancement in technology, and in every field... not just shooting.
The main thing that is in the best interests of the sport is to ensure we don't do things or use things that gives the anti's new ammo to use against us.

I never even heard the term "fair chase" until the whole canned hunt thing blew up on the TV gotcha shows.

The entire sport of hunting to a whole new generation that might someday join us in the field was suddenly something to be shunned because that is what that whole generation knew of hunting. They had no other experience.

I can easily see this system selling well with the same class of folks that could afford to spend fifty grand on a canned hunt fly in, turn it loose, shoot the pet water buffalo or leopard raised in someone's backyard as a pet, fly out, and then brag about being the great white hunter.

It was only a few years ago that robotic hunting became possible, something that would have been a godsend to para and quadriplegics but it too got the same kind of press for the same reason and "poof" it was quickly outlawed for the lack of fair chase as well.

We have an ever dwindling number of hunters in this country as a percentage of the population and such technological leaps in hunting tech, give the entire sport bad press and cost us more potential comrades protecting our sport and handing it down to the next generation.

This bears thought, not condemnation of any opinion we don't share because it very well could produce very negative attention and a nasty backlash.

I know if I sat on our state's game commission and this came up for discussion my first instinct would be to make it not legal for hunting game animals except for the disabled and we'd start the discussion there.

I'd not sneeze at it though for being legal for taking non game animals, nuisance, and predators.

This bears thought, not condemnation of any opinion we don't share because it very well could produce very negative attention and a nasty backlash.

I know if I sat on our state's game commission and this came up for discussion my first instinct would be to make it not legal for hunting game animals except for the disabled and we'd start the discussion there.

I'd not sneeze at it though for being legal for taking non game animals, nuisance, and predators.
The knee jerk reaction could lead to it being banned totally, instead of being left open for non-game animals such as varmints and predators.

I'm not condemning anyone for their opinion. Simply asking that opinions not be formed and decisions reached before the facts are available.

However, it seems that request is more unreasonable to the group here than I ever anticipated.

The knee jerk reaction could lead to it being banned totally, instead of being left open for non-game animals such as varmints and predators.

I'm not condemning anyone for their opinion. Simply asking that opinions not be formed and decisions reached before the facts are available.

However, it seems that request is more unreasonable to the group here than I ever anticipated.
Actually you have been.

We're all passionate about our hunting and weapons, but let's take it easy on each other on a subject like this.

My knees are jerking, I've been considering where technology like this would take us for a long time and how it would be perceived by the general public.

You can't imagine the reactions I was getting at the height of the "Canned hunt" crap when first introduced to a lot of new people in social situations and when asked what I do for a living I'd answer "I'm a guide and outfitter", hell you'd have thought I'd just introduced myself as a child molester!

It's our future it's up to us to protect it.

As is usual, Wildrose makes some good arguments here. When this thread was first posted the technology did not set right with me for hunting. I didn't have to think about it or study any facts. The canned hunt analogy fits. I don't see this flying with game commissions or the general public. It is a fact of life today that the number of hunters is in decline, that we have many opponents, and that public perception is quickly twisted by the anti's to try make us look like bubba's or bad guys. This technology would be great for certain people with handicaps, or for military, but I think it would only serve to arouse more anti-hunting sentiment were it to be allowed for hunting by the "average Joe".
While it is amazing technology, to me it is pushing past the borders of what I consider fair-chase hunting. This is a long range hunting site, not guided missles or guided bullets.
And Orkan, as another self employed businessman I wish you nothing but success, but I still think you are shooting yourself in the foot here, rather than successfully promoting your business.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

And Orkan, as another self employed businessman I wish you nothing but success, but I still think you are shooting yourself in the foot here, rather than successfully promoting your business.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
If that's the case, it's only because it's very difficult to convey emotion on the internet, and you're completely misunderstanding what I'm typing. Were we all standing around face to face... that wouldn't happen very easily. Even so... I forget how terribly quick people are to crucify the new guy on forums.

I agree mostly with what has been said. If I'm to be hated, berated, and thrown to the wolves for being a catalyst for spirited debate... so be it.

It's been said that its our job to police ourselves, so lets do our job. Where are we on this issue?

No good for big game, but its ok for anything else? Exceptions for handicapped? If that's the case, I can support that stance.

I agree 100% that if this system doesn't have a miraculous new way of accounting for the wind, that it will lead to COUNTLESS wounded deer.

Waking up the thread...its real, its here, its $8K - $18K all ready to shoot.

Regarding the debate....It won't make anyone a better hunter and it won't teach them how to breathe or squeeze or compensate for winds. Remember too that you have to TAG the object before you actually shoot it, and tagging it takes a similar skill as actual shooting. Does anyone out there who is good enough to hit 8" targets at 1000 yards really benefit from this? Will anyone who can't keep 1 MOA at 500 yards with a standard scope on a bench be able to hit a 1 MOA-size moving target with this device at that range?

Load development & practice...priceless.

the only problem I see with that system is it takes any resemblance to fair chase and throws it strait out the window. If you have to use that sort of means to take a game animal and are not disabled then you need to get closer and take a shot you are capable of taking normally.

some would say that shooting at animals >300 yards takes away from animals being called fair chase...actually I know quite a few bow hunters who think guns in general take away from fair chase. I do think this system basically takes the fun out of hunting but id prefer someone brand new use this than a regular gun if they are going to hunt and not take the time to practice anyways...

Looked at the video, didn't read much, formed an opinion!!! DON'T LIKE IT. Basically just saying that no matter your experience or ability, if you got the money YOU TOO can be a long range shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.