.260 ackley ....impressive

riflelooney

RIFLE SPECS ARE A SAVAGE 10 TARGET ACTION, 30" CRITERON BARREL. wANTED TO SHOOT 123 AMAX ...DOES NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL...140 AMAX? BETTER BUT NOT GREAT. WANTED TO SHOOT THE A MAX IN HOPES OF EXPANSION AT 1 K ON GROUND HOGS BUT, NO DICE..BERGER 140 VLD...WET MOLY COAT...WIN .308 BRASS NECKED DOWN, ANNEALED AND NECKS CLEANED UP TO .014......RELOADER 22, WOLF LR PRIMER. MV RIGHT AT 3000F/SEC..THATS WHERE THE NODE IS ON THIS COMBO...300 YARDS .75 GROUPS....CAN PUSH THEM TO 3100 BUT THATS ON THE RAGGED EDGE AND TOUGH ON BRASS...NO NEED TO...LAST NIGHT FIRST TIME OUT....FIRST G HOG AT 680..DRILLED......SECOND AT 947...HIT...CRAWLED A FEW YARDS THEN TAIL SPIN AND DONE.....SHOT AT A FEW ROCKS OUT TO 1200 ON THE SIDE OF A WELL ROAD...GOOD HITS AND LOTS OF BULLET SPLASH...THINK THIS IS THE CARTRIDGE I HAVE BEEN LOOKIN FOR LONG RANGE GROUND HOG HUNTING HERE IN SW PA.....

Good deal.

Go ahead and load those Winchester 308 brass till they're trashed. Then get Lapua 260 brass, guarantee you'll love them.

I have a 1000 win 308 that I was going to neck down for my 260 but decided to get Lapua,
excellent stuff.

Good deal.

Go ahead and load those Winchester 308 brass till they're trashed. Then get Lapua 260 brass, guarantee you'll love them.

I have a 1000 win 308 that I was going to neck down for my 260 but decided to get Lapua,
excellent stuff.

+1...Lapua brass is unbeatable, IMO. It's all I run in my .308 Win. I have tons of other .308 brass (mainly Hornady Match, which is also good brass) that I use for random testing, but for my precision loads, I use Lapua.

Santiam Imr 4831 my gun just does not like it,,,,plus it seemed to develop pressure FAST.....2950 was it......got to 3035....and auto deprime on the case!!!!RE-17 was ok and no higher velocity than RE22....mine is a standard chamber not a match 48.3-49 grs works with Moly bullets in MY gun..may b too hot in others...also that's in Win .308 brass......49.0 is safe in my gun ...and just about it unless heavy compression is used.....I think if the leade was .35 longer it would be better...at that point I think RE-25 would be worth a try as well as IMR-7828,,,But I am very happy with it as is and not touchin a thing......I had several 6.5-384 in the past and they were finicky in my opinion......a few 6-284///22-284 7 mags .264mags 300 mags all in all this is the best darn thing I have used to date......2nd Best? 7 mag 162 amax

I wish I had bought a 260 before I even thought about 6.5 284.

Live and learn,
but I do wish I had all that time and money spent on 6.5 284 back.

The very next barrel I get WILL be a 260 Improved. ( By the way I think we should only say '260 Improved' because I dont think PO Ackley had anything personally to do with this particular chambering.)

260 Improved it is..:D Re 17 is the one I didn't have luck with..Love it in other calibers... I thought maybe Re 22 would be to slow to get that kind of velocity,but see I have more experimenting to do. ;)

With all due respect I will continue to refer to the .260 40 degree shoulder fireform the cases based on the same datum line as other .308 based cartridges from factory chambers as Ackley improved. or should I say olin t-65 Ackley type modified??? which was one of the names the .308 had during experimental development for the military it was just refererd to as t -65 with varients...Parker Ackley never had headstamped .260 brass... but he sure was aware of the t-65/ the 6.5-308 had many versions such as the .264 Hollis,,,260 AAR to name a few////I will call it a Ackley improved all the same.... Thank you....For there would likely be very little SIMPLY improved without P.O Ackley

riflelooney, what angle does your case neck have for the Ackley improved verision have. I have a tikki 243 and I'm serious thinking about changing it over to the 260 improved version. Well its the wife' s gun actually.

I am not sure what your asking....shoulder angle? 40 degrees...or case neck taper from mouth to shoulder?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.