260 ackley trouble

bobcat trapper

Just got a 260 ackley put together on a sako a2 action. Factory lapua brass chambers fine bolt is a little stiff to close like most ackley stuff. Fire-formed cases the bolt is easier to close but i about need a hammer to beat the bolt back and extract the cases. Brass is full lenght sized in redding dies trimmed if needed I can't figure it out. Any thoughts?

Just going from that info, it sounds like either your loads are way too hot, OR, your brass is swelling bad around the web (base), OR, your chamber has some small burrs in it, and needs to be polished out.

I don't think its to hot right at the book min for a plan 260 rem with h4831 to fire form primers look good bolts not sticky. My sized brass wont hardly extract even before its fired.

Sounds like it could be a chamber issue. I'd have your smith look at it and polish it out and see if that helps. The slightest bit of burrs in there will catch on that brass, since brass is a softer metal than barrel steel.

This is all just a guess over the internet...Without seeing it in person, there's no way for me to guarantee any diagnosis, i'm not a professional or a gunsmith. So, take it with a grain of salt if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.