Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

I do like the Xbolt the best so far. But then I have people telling me to stay away from non- 700 action rifles.....
Every X-bolt I have ever shot was outstanding. Budfdy has an Xbolt 30-06 with wood stock and deep blue, Nikon Monarch glass. Fun to shoot, sub MOA, and gorgeous to look at.
I have Savage, Rem, Tikka, Winchester and custom, and a crap-ton of ARs.
Under $700 all in, I would do Savage and Primary Arms scope.
Under $900 all in, I woukd do Tikka and Leupold VX3i glass.
My guess is a Hells Canyon and Leupold glass would put you within budget.
Go for what feels best.

Most rifle companies these days are producing rifles that will provide enough accuracy to kill an elk at 500 yards. Some have more advantages over others some its a toss up. These are some I've shot.

Sako has eliminated their A7 series and heavily upgraded the Tikka line rifles, some even come with brakes attached. The Tikka rifles use a cold hammer forged barrel that seem to produce consistently good accuracy. I would think you could squeeze 1 MOA out of any of the new Tikkas.

Sauer has a nice line called the 100 series. They come in wood or synthetic stocks. These rifles use a breech ring system and have a nice 3 lug bolt that takes part in the cartridge feeding. This should make feeding very reliable. Sauer guarantees 1 MOA from 3 shots at 100 yards.

Bergara has a nice selection of rifles in their B-14 line. A little more cash the Premier line gives you an improved action and some different choices on stocks and colors. The Bergara barrels have been touted as very accurate. I see some issues with the B-14 action reported on the internet around issues with the bolt shroud and firing pin but accuracy seems to be around 1 MOA. Both series have a 1 MOA guarantee.

Savage was making some really good rifles a few years ago. They certainly have a large selection of options. The big advantage of the their actions is the easy barrel replacement they provide. They have a pretty decent trigger system as well. I did have contact recently with a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that simply would not shoot anywhere near 1 MOA. The owner did a replacement barrel and stock and it is down to 1/2 ish MOA. I think most of the synthetic stocks they are using are too flexible.

Browning is making some really accurate rifles right now. The X-Bolt Stainless Stalker should make a great hunting rifle and its coming in around $1000-$1100. They have several X-Bolt models that are around $1000 that should be nice hunting rigs.

Kimber makes a nice light weight rifle but their accuracy has been hit and miss in recent years. My 270 WSM Montana would shoot the Federal 150gr Fusion ammo around 1 MOA and I used it on a few western hunts. I rebarrelled to a custom barrel in 300 WSM and had much better accuracy from it. I noticed Eurooptics has the Montana on sale right now. They are more in the $1300 range now.

There are others in the $1000 and less range, but the ones I have mentioned I have experience with.

I'm looking at this from a western style hunting perspective for scopes. I'd be looking at weight versus power. Zero stop turrets and or covered windage turret. For a western scope a 12 power or better will make those 500 yard shots easier. The Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 and VX5 3-15 series are very good and in your price range and has a great warranty. The Nightforce SHV series is also in your price range and are bullet proof. The new Zeiss V4 4-16 or 6-24 is a very good scope and has upgraded turrets. The new Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 (made in japan) scope is very nice and has a great warranty. I haven't worked with a Trijicon but they recently got into the longer range game and have a very good reputation.

There are tons of cartridges to choose from that will kill an elk at 500 yards. If this your one all around rifle for a while I'd choose something in the middle that is really common like a 7 Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM. These will give you plenty of elk killing power and are readily available at most ammo stores in most towns. Plus the 7 Rem and 300 Win are great overseas travel cartridges.

Phew - that was fun.

Not to sound like a broken record but Tikka. I own a couple and personally know of several more. They have all been good out of the box. Smooth action, Useable trigger and they shoot. I also own a Xbolt. Its not a Hells Canyon but it does shoot incredibly well. But I have a good friend than builds great custom bolt guns and even he says if you don't want to spent custom money. By a Tikka and put it in a Manners stock

Most rifle companies these days are producing rifles that will provide enough accuracy to kill an elk at 500 yards. Some have more advantages over others some its a toss up. These are some I've shot.

Sako has eliminated their A7 series and heavily upgraded the Tikka line rifles, some even come with brakes attached. The Tikka rifles use a cold hammer forged barrel that seem to produce consistently good accuracy. I would think you could squeeze 1 MOA out of any of the new Tikkas.

Sauer has a nice line called the 100 series. They come in wood or synthetic stocks. These rifles use a breech ring system and have a nice 3 lug bolt that takes part in the cartridge feeding. This should make feeding very reliable. Sauer guarantees 1 MOA from 3 shots at 100 yards.

Bergara has a nice selection of rifles in their B-14 line. A little more cash the Premier line gives you an improved action and some different choices on stocks and colors. The Bergara barrels have been touted as very accurate. I see some issues with the B-14 action reported on the internet around issues with the bolt shroud and firing pin but accuracy seems to be around 1 MOA. Both series have a 1 MOA guarantee.

Savage was making some really good rifles a few years ago. They certainly have a large selection of options. The big advantage of the their actions is the easy barrel replacement they provide. They have a pretty decent trigger system as well. I did have contact recently with a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that simply would not shoot anywhere near 1 MOA. The owner did a replacement barrel and stock and it is down to 1/2 ish MOA. I think most of the synthetic stocks they are using are too flexible.

Browning is making some really accurate rifles right now. The X-Bolt Stainless Stalker should make a great hunting rifle and its coming in around $1000-$1100. They have several X-Bolt models that are around $1000 that should be nice hunting rigs.

Kimber makes a nice light weight rifle but their accuracy has been hit and miss in recent years. My 270 WSM Montana would shoot the Federal 150gr Fusion ammo around 1 MOA and I used it on a few western hunts. I rebarrelled to a custom barrel in 300 WSM and had much better accuracy from it. I noticed Eurooptics has the Montana on sale right now. They are more in the $1300 range now.

There are others in the $1000 and less range, but the ones I have mentioned I have experience with.

I'm looking at this from a western style hunting perspective for scopes. I'd be looking at weight versus power. Zero stop turrets and or covered windage turret. For a western scope a 12 power or better will make those 500 yard shots easier. The Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 and VX5 3-15 series are very good and in your price range and has a great warranty. The Nightforce SHV series is also in your price range and are bullet proof. The new Zeiss V4 4-16 or 6-24 is a very good scope and has upgraded turrets. The new Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 (made in japan) scope is very nice and has a great warranty. I haven't worked with a Trijicon but they recently got into the longer range game and have a very good reputation.

There are tons of cartridges to choose from that will kill an elk at 500 yards. If this your one all around rifle for a while I'd choose something in the middle that is really common like a 7 Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM. These will give you plenty of elk killing power and are readily available at most ammo stores in most towns. Plus the 7 Rem and 300 Win are great overseas travel cartridges.

Phew - that was fun.
That was a very informative post, thanks for taking the time do write it! I haven't seen much at all on Sauer, but the X-Bolt and Bergara are on my shortlist, all of the negative posts on here about Kimber are scaring me away. For optics, I am almost definitely going with NF, either NXS 2-10x or NX8 2-20x.

Every X-bolt I have ever shot was outstanding. Budfdy has an Xbolt 30-06 with wood stock and deep blue, Nikon Monarch glass. Fun to shoot, sub MOA, and gorgeous to look at.
I have Savage, Rem, Tikka, Winchester and custom, and a crap-ton of ARs.
Under $700 all in, I would do Savage and Primary Arms scope.
Under $900 all in, I woukd do Tikka and Leupold VX3i glass.
My guess is a Hells Canyon and Leupold glass would put you within budget.
Go for what feels best.
Appreciate that. Fortunately, I can go higher than the 900 all in. I am leaning Xbolt and NF glass right now, but that'll change in 15 minutes:) I like your last sentence the best. Thanks for the input!

Savage Hunter in 280 AI, with the adjustable LOP and comb riser would be my pick. It would also allow more for glass. I bought mine for a steal at $500. That was a one time deal and they are back up to $650. It's a lot of gun for $650. If you are adverse to Savage I would go Bergera or Tikka.

Not to sound like a broken record but Tikka. I own a couple and personally know of several more. They have all been good out of the box. Smooth action, Useable trigger and they shoot. I also own a Xbolt. Its not a Hells Canyon but it does shoot incredibly well. But I have a good friend than builds great custom bolt guns and even he says if you don't want to spent custom money. By a Tikka and put it in a Manners stock
Thanks! Can you elaborate on the Manners stock opinion?

Phew - that was fun.
Do you have a opinion on the following? I was thinking of finding a used kimber Montana in wsm, rebarrel to a 270wsm carbon barrel, may or may not keep stock. Thought this would make a good mountain rifle and general all around for the lower 48. I have a 300wsm that's not going anywhere for elk/moose or Alaska if I ever go and don't have something bigger. Not a "long" range hunter per see, but want to be able to use full range of cartridge if "I" can shoot that far with a Sporter-ish setup, I prefer general carrying/handling ability to accuracy maximizing construction.

I'd take a Tikka T3 hands down, have seen my share of factory rifles including christainsen, kimber, brownings, etc.. that did not shoot.
Not to blah, blah anyone to death, but here here is a Tikka Forrest in 243, 10tw, Leupold 1-6 V6HD, and target shot at 400 yards with Sierra 90gr TGK in a 20mph full value wind. 6 power at 400 induces a handicap on it's own. The group at 500 was spread out more, but really more impressive given the conditions.

Attachments

• Tikka.jpg
    Tikka.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Tikka1.jpg
    Tikka1.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 187
Thanks! Can you elaborate on the Manners stock opinion?

I personally haven't changed out the stocks on mine but I have looked at a few and will at some point. The good composite stocks are just more rigid. I think they a a lot better especially if you shooting off a bipod a lot. You're going to get less flex and less possible contact with the barrel

I have had quite a few different makes in my 47 years of big game hunting (started very young). We are all built different and have our personal preferences. After decades of looking for that centerfire "nirvana", the X-bolts are my favorite. I have owned several and none went away for performance reasons. A couple were too pretty, one was for wife and she is very recoil sensitive. The two I have now will get passed to my kids when I am gone. Both are sub 1/2" shooters... consistently. Both are normal, run-of the mill X-Bolts that I bedded (just to say they are bedded), added a $13.00 MCarbo trigger spring, and duracoated the stocks. They are light, accurate, have a great recoil pad, and most importantly, they fit me well. I also like the 70 degree bolt throw and the ability to unload with the safety on. The tang safety is a plus for me too.
We are lucky in this age whereas we have several good choices for great, accurate factory rifles.