Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

the savage has everything you could ask for to upgrade it, there are several good stocks you can get for them, a couple very good triggers you can drop in, and many prefit match grade rifle barrels that you can install yourself with some special tools and a headspace gauge.
Alternatively you can take it to a gunsmith andhave them chamber and install any barrel you want with the factory barrel nut applicaton or just have the barrel shouldered and headspaced like a rem 700

the savage has everything you could ask for to upgrade it, there are several good stocks you can get for them, a couple very good triggers you can drop in, and many prefit match grade rifle barrels that you can install yourself with some special tools and a headspace gauge.
Alternatively you can take it to a gunsmith andhave them chamber and install any barrel you want with the factory barrel nut applicaton or just have the barrel shouldered and headspaced like a rem 700

what match grade rifle barrels do you recommend? what would be a good recommendation on the twist ratio? and if I get a .243 what ammo is recommended based on the twist of the barrel

thanks in advance

I dont own a 6mm myself so somebody else will need to verify but i think an 8 twist will stabalize all the heavy VLD bullets.

I will only comment on barrels I have experience with,
I have a criterion with only 40 rounds through it, but it looks promising for accuracy.
I have a 260 Lothar Walther that is very very nice, accurate and cleans up easy.
I also have a Mcgowan that is shooting around 2/3 MOA with minimal load development.
Of the 3 i have had the best customer experience with Criterion.

Not sure what you are looking for in a gun, a ready to go out of the box heavy barrel, or a stevens that you are going to build up around?
its easy to search by caliber in the gun finder.

Look for a used model 10 in 308 or 243 Win. Then contact Jim an Northland Shooters Supply Northland Shooters Supply

Jim stocks barrels from Shilen and Criterion, so you don't have to wait 6 months for your barrel. Believe me, that is the "regular" lead time. From either it will be around $300. You want an 8 twist. The Savage barrels are 1:9.25 but that is not good enough to shoot the "real" high BC bullets with adequate stability (the Long 95gr and 105gr VLD's or Sierra Match King bullets). The barrel should also be 26" long to get good velocity for longer range shooting.

Jim also has all the tools to do all your own barrel work. He has the Savage Nut wrench as well as a great receiver wrench. If you use it once it would have paid for itself compared to going to a gunsmith. To set headspace, you need a go gauge for your chamber. Those are $30 at mansonreamers.com.

If you have nothing to reload and want to get started with some decent ammo, you can buy HSM ammo which is loaded with Berger bullets at Midway HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 243 Winchester 95 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow

If you think the price is steep, bear in mind that "regular" factory ammo is just a few $ cheaper but definitely not comparable in ballistics. You can get a reloading setup for about $500, then you have to buy powder, bullets, brass, primers and a set of dies. So its not cheap going in, but once you are set up, you reload for a fraction of the price of factory ammo and remember, this is not chinese or Russian "blasting" ammo. This is stuff that follows the "one shot 1 kill" mentality.

Another problem , I'm right Ed dominate but am a lefty so do I get aright hand or left hand rifle. I've only very limited shooting experience

Which scope would be better to get?

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50
Or this
vortex viper 6.5-20x50 PA matte DBC retical

The "dead hold BDC" on either looks OK. Just remember it is only calibrated for max magnification though. You may not always be able to use 20x.

The 4-16x50 LR with exposed elevation turret would in my opinion be a better choice. No need to fuss with a loose turret cap that you have to unscrew in order to dial up elevation. You can use the reticle for wind if you stay on top of the reticle scale vs magnification. If shooting at paper or steel at 1000 yards you can remove the windage cap to dial wind.

thumbnail_generator.php

I just bought a Vortex viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA so my planned budget is a little bit over :D

so now the rifle.
Thinking now I should get a Savage .308 with the accutrigger

whats the difference between the savage 10 and 110?
I plan on getting an aftermarket barrel so need to get a cheap used one.
any body has any connections to were I can procure one?

thanks in advance for everyone recommendations

A 110 is a long action. Not needed for a 308 but needed for a 30-06. If you get a model 10 308, I would first see how it does with the factory barrel. The factory twist rates for the 308 are fine, it will allow you to shoot pretty much anything you can load and accuracy is usually good once you get stock bedding and barrel free floating sorted out. Of course if it has a skinny sporter barrel you still may want to test it, but obviously you will get more reliable results then with a "proper" varmint contour 26" barrel.

It is the 223's and 243's which do not have adequate twist rates to shoot decent bullets. The models 10's sold with some heavy contour barrels and if you get one of those you may be set for a while.

You will like that scope. I just got the same one (my second Vortex FFP) this week.

You will like that scope. I just got the same one (my second Vortex FFP) this week.[/QUOTE]

wow!!!

so how much does a 10 usually cost? and were the hell can I buy it? daddy needs to gun)

The only warning I will give you on a 308 is not to buy if you do not have ammo for it. It is virtually impossible to obtain ammo or even reloading supplies for 308 right now. On the other hand you can get 243 Win stuff, both loaded ammo and reloading components. Who knows how long this situation is going to go on ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.