Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

1st choice Remington 700, easy to find always available upgrades (triggers/ stocks, mounts) at any time down the road.
2nd choice Tikka easy choice for quality and accuracy out of the box hard to beat, 3rd any other choice of above mentioned manufactures.. Bergara, Browning, Howa, Weatherby, Savage etc...in no particular order...
LASTLY, I don't have a thing against Kimber (Mountain Ascent) , but the faster you work the action the easier it is to jamb... not the best design IMPO, I think they are amazingly LIGHT weight by design but, hate the bolt/action jamb issue. That's my .02s worth. If you work this action FAST and try to make fast follow-up shots you will be sadly disappointed. My buddies dad bought one for lightweight hiking/hunting its looks great and super light but the action bolt interface makes it jamb manipulating it FAST! Terrible design if you ask me... Accuracy is fine with Kimber, just seems weird it jambs EASY when you manipulate it fast.

I'd be all over a Tikka T3x in SS. I've got 3 and they are all 1/2" to 3/4" guns with loads the like. My favorite is the 270WSM. FYI, these are by far the easiest rifles I've ever had for finding accuracy at good velocity. I'd shoot the Tupperware stocks they come with for a year or two to make sure there's a need to upgrade stocks. I haven't and don't plan to.

I with the tikka vote. I own a t3 hunter in 7mm and it shoots under 1/4moa!
This is with the 168 Berger VLD with h1000
9618CE99-3CEB-420C-BD3D-95D3367033AB.jpeg

Last edited:
One rifle that hasn't been mentioned yet is JP Sauer and Sohn. My dad bought one in 6.5 PRC and made ragged holes with hornady factory ammo and load development was easier than most rifles I've worked with. On the shelf I think it was $900, comes with detachable magazine, cerakote and an adjustable trigger.

I do like the Xbolt the best so far. But then I have people telling me to stay away from non- 700 action rifles.....
People saying to stay away from non-700 action rifles likely haven't shot anything but 700 action rifles. It's a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing.

Look, They're not shooting it, you are, and I don't relish the idea of buying a rifle I was lukewarm on because of someone's recommendation that it's the bee's knees. Firearms are like shoes in that you have to try a few on to see what you like and what fits well... otherwise you likely won't be happy with them.

Just my two cents.

I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness 6.5 CM. Smooth action, nice trigger (after its adjusted) Out of the box with factory ammo shoots under 1/2"
On it sits an Arken 4x14x44 30mm tube with zero stop.
I'm in for the whole shoot'n match of $1328.00
I'm also completely set up for reloading it, but why? under a 1/2" pffffT I'll just shoot box ammo for now.
My other considerations where, Sauer Atacama and Savage, High Country.
Can't go wrong with any of these 3.......IMHO

That was a very informative post, thanks for taking the time do write it! I haven't seen much at all on Sauer, but the X-Bolt and Bergara are on my shortlist, all of the negative posts on here about Kimber are scaring me away. For optics, I am almost definitely going with NF, either NXS 2-10x or NX8 2-20x.
I have a Sauer 101 and an old A bolt. Sauer has the best factory trigger I have ever seen in a hunting rifle and amazingly accurate. 3 shot one hole at 100 but need to try different ammo to see what it likes. Mine likes Winchester. A bolt also very accurate and loves Hornady Superformance. Put in Timney spring kit and great trigger. Sauer lines (100 and 101) are very reasonably priced. If you can find a used A bolt or A bolt II. Could probably get for a good price. I second the SHV. Great scope and around 11 to 1200. Good luck and good hunting.

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
I work at a gun range and regularly shoot out to 600 +. I own 2 Bergaras; B14 HMR and HMR Wilderness in 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. Both shoot sub MOA with quality factory ammo; creedmoor will shoot 1.25" @ 600 with handloads. Either one will do what you need and give you more to spend on good glass. Hope this helps.

Tikka. Their only downside is that they don't put enough twist in their barrels. So you are limited on shooting heavy high bc bullets. They make an incredible platform to build a future custom rifle on.

Attachments

• 1B0B932D-801E-41B5-9505-4FDA32482581.jpeg
    1B0B932D-801E-41B5-9505-4FDA32482581.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • 206EEF00-73F9-48D4-A734-9AB3D703EAF6.jpeg
    206EEF00-73F9-48D4-A734-9AB3D703EAF6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101