To log or not to log?

newgunner

I am a scuba diver and log every dive. Is it a good idea to log all your shots and if so is there a free gun log I can download?

I am a scuba diver and log every dive. Is it a good idea to log all your shots and if so is there a free gun log I can download?
During load development, breaking in a new rifle and when you are first getting into shooting, especially at long range it's a very good idea.

Just google "sniper's log book" and "shooter's log book" and you can find a host of them you can order.

The easiest thing to do is find a format you like and then spend a few minutes setting up a template based on it's layout in word and the print your own.

If your doing a simple range session (100yds) I would just log the amount of rounds fired and your weather conditions. If your doing load data, write down the load weight, bullet used, powder, primer, and brass. You also want to record seating depth. Make sure you log whether you cleaned between groups, or shot from a dirty bore and how many shots are made in each test. I like to keep track of the group size too.

In all instances of shooting you want to log your cold bore shot (first shot on a dirty barrel or clean barrel) and track whether it shoots with the following shots, or if it has a tendency to have a separate point of impact away from the following shots.

When shooting long range, you want to log each shot, drops required for the range you are shooting, wind conditions, temp, barometric pressure, humidity, and elevation. Temperature, wind, and drops are the most important.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.