Rifle Data Log

ShooterMedic

What rifle data books are you guys using. I have until now just been using a small note book, but it is full and need a new one.

But After doing some looking there is a great number of tactical log books, with human target logs. Is that what a majority are using or is this one for hunters?

I use a plain ole composition notebook; one for each gun. The first couple of pages have all the info about the rifle or handgun including model and serial #s. Any and all attachments and accessorys such as scope and mounts plus levels and ACIs, holsters, ect. I also have when and where each was purchased with those serial #s. The next couple of pages have my standard load info and my cleaning proceedures written out in detail - a quick clean, a thorough clean and copper removal. After that, each shooting session is noted with shot count, cleaning, if the gun was jarred or dropped, weather conditions during the shooting session. If hunting, success' or failures. If target shooting, I'll include the target if something significant happened and anything else I can think of.

Sounds like a lot BUT with it I discovered that with a particular rifle, certain cleaning and weather combinations affect coldbore POI dramatically. I used to blame the scope for not holding zero. Now I know what to expect with each rifle. If a new problem shows up then at least I have some data to look at.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

That is exactly what I have been doing, it works great. I was just wondering if there was anything comercial people were using.

I use a zippered 3 ring binder with 5x7 index cards, punched for the binder. Once it is full, I move all of them (except for the load data, drops, and rifle info) to a bigger binder. The big binder stays at the house, the zippered one stays with the rifle. I have recorded every shot with my rifle including all conditions, location, target, hold on target, sight adjustments, and impacts. It's cheep, easy, and works great.

After talking to some guys I have made up some of my own books alot like what has been suggested.

I just made a word document and included tables for:

Cold Bore, cleaning log, round count, two different types of target logs.

Then I spiral bound them cost me about 3 dollars a book.

Thanks for the responses,

I also use plain old composition note books for the last ten years or so and mark them in volumes. Represents about a dozen different rifles. Evey high power rifle shot has been recorded, not rimfire. My buddies think I'm nuts, probably am, but the info has proved useful. Details can be forgotten over time and prevents rework.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.