To brake or not to brake

I have a 338 WM as my main hunting rifle. Been debating a brake for some time on it. Recoil does not bother me, but I do notice the farther the target is out there, or the higher I turn my scope up, the harder it is stay on target after the shot. My biggest draw to a brake would be the ability to keep the target in my scope from shot to shot. Would a brake do this, if so, what brake design is best suited to this?
Good Brakes help with keeping target acquisition. Design is up for debate but you don't have to spend $100.

That 7mag would be a dream to shoot with a brake. I've seen a great improvement with 2 I've put brakes on. Do you have a brake on any of them?
I have a 7mm rem mag A bolt and have been considering installing a brake. Do you have recommendations?

When I got my 7mm rem mag A bolt a number of years ago I passed on the option to installing a boss system. Now a number of years later I obtained a
compensator and a kurled nut from Browning and am thinking about installing it. I couldn't find the indicator ring for it. My question is can a competent gun smith install a boss system and is it worth doing?

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?
Brake.... it's sweet to see the bullets all the way to target! And they do screw on and off!

they are ear splitting and unless you really need one for target shooting I would not. I use a silencer on mine because I don't want to use ear plugs in the field. and I have shot very small groups long before muzzle brakes, so if you have trouble shooting without one use one. I have guns with brakes and they do not shoot any better groups .

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?
can you stay on target at 800 yards and see your bullet strike if not then you need a brake.there is nothing about cool looking to a muzzel brake they are a tool that helps the shooters do better

I put a break on my Bergara Premier HMR PRO and groups at 100 yards off the bench tightened up by enough to measure the difference. Overall I feel its a benefit to getting better hits. Could I have better fundamentals? Sure and I am always working to better and in PRS a break makes it easier to stay on target and get off subsequent shots.

Last edited:
I don't put brakes on any rifle as I can't shoot large calibers any more since I broke my neck plus I'm not a fan of the noise of dirt they produce .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.