Timney trigger fit -- slightly loose?

vicroll91

Hi all,

Just finished installing a pair of Timney elite triggers on two Remington 700s. Both more or less the same model (tactical, 20" barrel). Both trigger installs went off without a hitch, and seem to be working as intended, although I have not yet shot either of them. So on to the question. One is a nice snug fit. Even without the rifle cocked, it is tight. The other has a bit of wiggle to it. More than I would have expected but not exactly alarming. It tightens up after cocking the rifle and returns to its original slightly loose state after dry firing. Should I be concerned with the loose fit of the one trigger?

I know it is not exactly shocking that two Remington 700s made in the last five years would have slightly different tolerances in this area, but I figured I'd ask before I went and shot either of them.

Thanks much,

Austin

It could be the tolerance in the pin rather than the action fit.
Most Remingtons I work on are very tight in the pin fit, but I have had old walker trigger models, the ones that lock the bolt from opening when the safety is on, that have had loose pins. I would swap these out for tight pins. Pin movement will eventually wear the pin to the point that it will get worse over time.
Contact Timney if you like, they'll probably tell you to swap pins. Or you could shim the body of the trigger to put pressure on it.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.