Time to brag about my first buck at 38

I'm finally getting around to sharing my hunt. October 2022. I whitetail hunted for years as a youth and teen and gave it up for more than a decade. Sitting in subfreezing shrubbery waiting for another animal to walk through that exact bush is not my cup of coffee. When my lady's job brought me to the west I decided to get back into it. Learning about public land and spot and stalk really put the spark back. Took a few years to get the license, build the rifle, gain a point or two and make a plan, but I finally found a deer I couldn't pass up.

mature mule buck, general tag, public land, gun I sort of built, bullet I picked and loaded myself, doing it on my own plan and terms with the help of a close friend. Clean kill, no suffering. Basically I am finally very happy with my first, worth the long wait. I would not mind hearing about others' first or favorite deer.

Super grateful for the help here on the long range forum and I'm happy I drilled regularly out to 550… but it was only a fifty yard shot in the thick woods! Almost exactly how I started out in Maine. It's how she goes.

7 Saum, 140g absolute Hammer mv 3230. happy to talk about the setup more if anyone's curious.

View attachment 423078View attachment 423079View attachment 423081

And, brag you should……an awesome deer, first or 50th! Congratulations! memtb

Nice. I was being encouraged to go over there but I just didn't want to yet. I need to get quite a bit more fit before I can justify spending nonres money.
I live in Oklahoma, we do have some Muleys, but they are rare and not where I normally hunt. Would love to harvest one in my home state and I probably will eventually, I'm just impatient.

Super awesome. I got my first buck in '22 at 41 in Idaho. 4 years of trying to hunt in my own state, NV, and still can't get a tag!
Nice. But also not nice, Nevada is defintitely hurting. Utah is going to be in the same shape before too long if we keep bulldozing the winter habitat and diverting the water for lawns in the summer.

3230 will sure get the job done! Well done, Mule deer are one of my addictions. Along with big bull ek and monster walleye.
I didn't really get it til I got it. They really are something.

And yes, we were really impressed with exactly what the hammer did but at 50 yards a wet cigarette filter might have done the job. Literally saw hooves in the scope before recoil was even done.

Jake, dandy buck for a first one at any age! I have taken many deer in Colorado over the last 25 years or so, and that would have made me very happy, on the first or even today! My first one was a little 2-point when I was a teenager.

Enjoy the harvest!

Recent Posts