My Wifes first buck

Normally I wouldn't pass either, this is the one we were after though which made the decision a little tougher.

Unless you just like the way he looks, the one your wife shot is a much nicer buck. If both bucks were standing together, I wouldn't have even thought of shooting the young skyscraper buck. The one your wife shot is the commander. Congratulations !!!

wow great buck, congratulations to your wife! What a great memory for you both, and a clean kill! I agree the buck she got is the bigger one, plus width is cool!

We were after a unique blacktail buck that I had a trail cam pic of but the only time we saw him he was walking too quickly through the oaks for her to get on him. Then after not seeing him for 2 days we were down to the last half hour with only being able to hunt the next morning when we stumbled across this guy. I made a judgement call and told her she needed to shoot this buck. She made a great shot at 212 yards with her Tikka 7mm-08 and then the work started.
74964078_450202985913930_9198368197546344448_n.jpg
Congratulations

Congratulations to you both. I agree that it's more important for a beginner hunter to put one on the ground rather than wait for the big buck and get nothing. I'd never pass up that blacktail. That's an awesome buck.

We were after a unique blacktail buck that I had a trail cam pic of but the only time we saw him he was walking too quickly through the oaks for her to get on him. Then after not seeing him for 2 days we were down to the last half hour with only being able to hunt the next morning when we stumbled across this guy. I made a judgement call and told her she needed to shoot this buck. She made a great shot at 212 yards with her Tikka 7mm-08 and then the work started.
Outstanding buck. Congratulations.

Im not too famaliar with blacktails but isnt that a monster???
Having grown up in blacktail country I can certify that the buck she took is a hog....might nit be the highest scoring but I bet in the 140's...
And to be totally fair....the other buck isnt a slouch....taking a closer look at the mainbeam and the gnarly bases and how lowxthe pedicals are on his head I bet he is old....big barrel chest....he might score around 120+......my ex busted a nice straight up forked horn that scored 80".....gutted and made into a pack i could carry it down hill for about 50 yards before having to take a break....and then dragging it under windfalls and around windfalls....nasty place....but body wise that buck was very big for a coastal blacktail...then the next year she killed a bigger buck......

Congratulations to your wife. Darn nice deer for a "first" kill. From the smile.....I think you have a permanent "hunting partner"! memtb

Thats a dandy!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.