Tikka T3X 300 Win Mag- Overall / Twist rate thoughts?

igordon81

I've been kicking tires on one of these and I was curious if anybody has input on them, good or bad. It looks to me like they fixed most of what need fixing on the T3, and it appears to be a fine little weapon for the money. Secondary question would be around the 1:11" twist rate and 24ish" barrel. Would that be best served with 180-190gr bullets, or will it properly stabilize the 210gr stuff?

For the stability, location plays a part as altitude affects stability. I think the 210 stuff is borderline stable at lower altitudes and good say at 3~4000 ft. You will never be able to take advantage of the Berger 215 Hybrid though which is the cats meow for long range hunters in the 300 WM. I understand that mag length gets to be an issue with the Tikkas also.

I have seen two Sakos not shoot bullets over 180 gr. well at low altitude. But, I am not sure it was the twist...

Here's the link to Berger's twist calculator. Works pretty well.
Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

I have never seen the X version of the T3, but had the T3 Lite in 300WSM and I would recommend about any other rifle over a tikka. My buddy had a Browning A-bolt in the same caliber and it would out shoot the Tikka every time. I would look for one wearing a barrel with a 1/10" ROT if you plan on shooting heavy for caliber bullets.

Tikka are decent rifles but they have a bit of a remington streak in them... You will get a great one once in a while (my t3 in 270win is great and my Pop's 300win shoots well too) and then you have one once in a while like Gunpoor had that is sub par at best...

I have never seen the X version of the T3, but had the T3 Lite in 300WSM and I would recommend about any other rifle over a tikka. My buddy had a Browning A-bolt in the same caliber and it would out shoot the Tikka every time. I would look for one wearing a barrel with a 1/10" ROT if you plan on shooting heavy for caliber bullets.

I've owned three, and shot about 4 or 5 tikkas. Not one of them shot even close to what I would call sub par, maybe you didn't have a good load for your wsm. I owned a T3 in 270 WSM and found it to be a finickey round to load for, but with the right jump it shot extremely well...Just sayin

For a 300 win mag though I don't think the Tikka with a 24" 11 twist barrel is going to serve your heavy for caliber needs.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm not sold on needing the heavy for cal stuff, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I've shot a lot of critters with 180gr Accubonds from a 300, and I haven't heard many arguments. The 1:11 just seemed like a bit of an anomaly in a 24" barrel, so I thought I would ask. The T3X still seems like a decent value at it's price point. I'm not asking it to behave like a $3k custom, I've got that covered. I just don't want weird.

Personally the mag is far to short for the long action magnums they sell them I , I hate seating bullets so deep however the Tikka is my current go to for any WSM or RSAUM chambering which it's absalutely perfection for!!

Personally the mag is far to short for the long action magnums they sell them I , I hate seating bullets so deep however the Tikka is my current go to for any WSM or RSAUM chambering which it's absalutely perfection for!!

Agreed,
I just turned my tikka 7 RM into a 6.5 SAUM and am now able to use the long action magazine with 147 ELD-M bullets seated way out.
Absolutely amazing lightweight set up for relatively cheap.

I have a Tikka T3 300wm 1-11 twist and I'm shooting 200 grain Accubonds. It will shoot 1/2 groups but the bullets are almost touching the magazine at the tip. I'm shooting at 500 feet above sea level and have not experienced any stability problems.

I could not agree more. This may not be popular with some but this is a long range forum so I will say it. BC rules in wind. I see zero point in buying/building a rifle chambered in 300 win just to shoot 180s. If you want to shoot 180s buy/build a 7mm. The 7 will outperform the 300 with the same weight bullets in both energy at target and drift with less powder and recoil. The 180 Berger Elite Hunter .30 may be a little flatter. The 215 is amazing in the 300 but not in a Tikka. The 180s will not be optimal in the 7mm Tikka's either. Tikka's are awesome factory rifles as long as the cartridge can be be kept under 3.4" without sacrificing powder space. I guess it is good to have many options for differing opinions.

I could not agree more. This may not be popular with some but this is a long range forum so I will say it. BC rules in wind. I see zero point in buying/building a rifle chambered in 300 win just to shoot 180s. If you want to shoot 180s buy/build a 7mm. The 7 will outperform the 300 with the same weight bullets in both energy at target and drift with less powder and recoil. The 180 Berger Elite Hunter .30 may be a little flatter. The 215 is amazing in the 300 but not in a Tikka. The 180s will not be optimal in the 7mm Tikka's either. Tikka's are awesome factory rifles as long as the cartridge can be be kept under 3.4" without sacrificing powder space. I guess it is good to have many options for differing opinions.

Can I get away loading a 210 accubond in the tikka 300WM? I hate that I cant seat the bullet properly.

It is frustrating that tikka T3 300WM can't accommodate longer OAL and utilizes a 1:11 twist. That being said, it will fire the 200gr Hybrid at 2850 and in spite of the jump deliver 1/2 MOA accuracy at 1000 yards. Recommend adding a brake and aftermarket stock but could be a decent all-around long range setup on a limited budget

I've gotten my T3 300 down to about .5-.6 with 180gr TTSX over IMR4350. When the rounds are in the mag, they are **** near touching the front at 3.365". Load was developed at 500' above sea level and had no problem taking an elk at 525 last year at 5000'. Makes a fun groundhog gun too with 110gr vmax :). Just my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.