tikka T3 superlite vs. T3 lite

DonV

Cabelas carries 3 Tikka T3 types of rifle (I am getting 300 mag).

They are:

1. T3 superlite camo stock SS barrel 6 pounds $899

2. T3 lite (maybe a suprelite hard to tell) SS barrel 6.188 pouds $679

3. T3 lite blued barrel 6.5 pounds $549

It seems like a big price difference for almost the exact same gun. Lighter would be really nice since I backpack a lot and occasionally fly into remote areas in AK. Lighter also means more recoil which I hate.

I cannot seem to justify getting the $899 gun - other then a camo stock instead of black and 0.188 pounds lighter it is the same gun right? $220 more! The %49 gun is also the same just blued barrel, a little heavier but $350 cheaper.

I have $1,300 in free cabelas money from my credit card so I can afford either gun (still need a scope) but I do no want to waste it.

Search Results : Cabela's

Also lets here some ideas for scopes. I do not want some complicated adjustments. I want a good quality variable power scope that is rugged (most important) and has some basic adjustments for range and maybe windage. I will shoot different types of ammo - basically I would need tow turrets (if the scope has interchangeable turrets). I want a basic simple way to adjust the scope in the field for different ranges so I can eliminate hold over.

Get the cheap blue one and shoot it and see if it will group. My did not and I went down the path of replacing the stock with a B & C Medalist thinking that would fix the problem....not yet. Not sure if I would do a Tikka again.

I had a T3 superlite. I regret that I sold it. It really was a perfect backpacking rifle. Mine was in .308 and out of the box shot under MOA. I ended up putting a Bell and Carlson stock on it, which did add a little weight, but it looked and felt a lot better. I think it also improved accuracy a little, not much. Either way the farthest I ever took it was 800 yards but with good DOPE it was pretty easy to smack 12" steel. Best performance I ever saw with the rifle was about a 4 inch group at 600 yards. You may already know this but the superlite is fluted, hence the lighter weight. The action was also one of the smoothest I've ever operated. In my opinion those rifles are a great bargain. Also in my opinion I wouldn't bother with the increased cost of the superlite at cabelas. I'd just go with the stainless T3 lite. Sorry to go on for so long. Good luck!

I forgot to mention that with the rifle being so light, it did take some re-emphasis on accurate shooting fundamentals to obtain the best accuracy. It took a minute to get used to it.

I bought my son a T3 lite stainless 270 win when he was 12. It is the most accurate factory gun I have ever shot. During load development, I had two different loads (110 TTSX/Varget) under 1/2" (3 shot) at 100 yds. I'd say go SS lite. He has a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which is perfect for the gun, but can't be dialed in for distance.

I'm running a blued, heavy barreled t3 varmint 308 with heavy bullets & holding sub half moa out way past where you're supposed to shoot 308's ;)

I also have a t3 lite stainless in 300 wsm that hangs out around 1/2 moa with 208's (on a good day- more like 1 1/2 when I'm flinchy). It has had some recoil issues & is currently getting a few Mountain Tactical upgrades (stock, rail, pillar bedding kit, recoil lug, shroud) from Jason at tikkaperformance.com - long story short, it needs more weight.

I just picked up a t3 Slite in 223 (1 in 8" twist) from Sportsman's. I plan to Ackley it & run 75 amax's- and expect it to shoot at least as well as the other two. It'll likely wear my conquest 3-9x50 z600 (w/ upgraded elevation turret), and I'll probably junk the craptastic plastic right away, too- got no love for the factory Tupperware...

I've had nothing but good times with t3's in blued & stainless. I added the Slite because they're changing twist rates this year to a relatively useless (to me) 12 twist, & I didn't want to miss out on an 8 twist bolt gun opportunity. I also figure it'll be a great first rifle for the kids to start out with for deer & speedies. I'll let you know when we get it all up & running.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts