Savage 116 fcss vs tikka t3 lite

Not to keep berating them, but another issue they have is that the 30 cals are 11 twist. The Europeans just don't seem to be into long range high BC bullets, hence they run an 11 twist. You need a 10 twist to effectively run 200 + Gr bullets

Not to keep berating them, but another issue they have is that the 30 cals are 11 twist. The Europeans just don't seem to be into long range high BC bullets, hence they run an 11 twist. You need a 10 twist to effectively run 200 + Gr bullets

Yea I hear alot of guys say they are a solid performer.
The cons with it I noticed right away was the magazine,finish on bolt,and plastic piece on back of bolt . The pro's were the smooth action ,bolt handle,light weight and stock feel.

There are way more Savages in the LR shooting game than Tikkas. There is a reason... Tikkas make nice carry hunting rifles because they are lite. But your main concern seems accuracy. The robust Savage action and slightly heavier contour magnum profile barrel will give you that accuracy. The Savage barrel is button rifled the Tikka is a mass produced hammer forged barrel (as is your SPS). It starts walking in magnum calibers with just a few shots. You will probably want to replace the stock and the Tikka plastic magazine allow little room for loading and shooting heavy for caliber bullets. Don't buy into that slick action thing a Savage 116 action is very smooth too. The Savage 116 is by far a better rifle.

Ouch! more than a little bias here... I will agree though that if you want an extremely accurate long range rifle that you can still carry up a mountain go with a Tikka.
If you are looking for a heavy *** bench gun then yes there are better options

Ouch! more than a little bias here... I will agree though that if you want an extremely accurate long range rifle that you can still carry up a mountain go with a Tikka.
If you are looking for a heavy *** bench gun then yes there are better options

I agree. I definitely don't want a 12 pound rifle to carry around. I have those for shooting steel.I just think money spent on aftermarket stock and sporter barrel will be a all around better solid settup then another mass production plastic rifle.

Yeah not a bad idea to invest in what you have. I once re-barreled an SPS with a McGowen pre-fit barrel and used a barrel nut from Pac Nor that allows for it to be installed like a savage set up.

I paid about $275 for the barrel and it was a really accurate shooter, my only regret was that I got the barrel in a heavy contour.
Good luck!

Yeah not a bad idea to invest in what you have. I once re-barreled an SPS with a McGowen pre-fit barrel and used a barrel nut from Pac Nor that allows for it to be installed like a savage set up.

I paid about $275 for the barrel and it was a really accurate shooter, my only regret was that I got the barrel in a heavy contour.
Good luck!
That's good to know. Well I was looking at them and noticed you can pick different contour's. Would I benefit from picking another contour and would i have to modify the B&C stock ?

A heavy contour will only make a difference if you plan to shoot multiple rounds for an extended period of time. You can match the stock to the barrel contour, I used a B&C Alaskan stock with a factory 700 contour and it fit very well.
I would recommend calling McGowen and telling them what want out of your rifle. They are very helpful in giving you the pros and cons of barrel length, contour, etc..

The tikka t3 lite in the 7mm mag weighs 6.5 lbs the savage 116 fcss weighs 6.75 lbs. so we are talking about whooping a .25 lb difference. Never shot a tikka, but both of my savages will shoot under 3/4 MOA with factory ammo. Replaced the trigger in the 110 myself and replaced a spring in the 116 myself.

A guy that hadn't shot over 200 yards, matched shot for shot with a guy with $5k rifle built by the instructor during a long range class.

No problems with the savages so far. No gunsmith work needed. Heck the 110 is not bedded. Shoots too good to mess with.

Good luck either way.

Ok.i sold the Remington and just purchased the Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag. The bullets I was checking out was 160 accubond, 150 Barnes tsx (boat tail),160 TSX (flat base) and the 160 ttsx Barnes. This rifle will be mainly used for mule deer and maybe elk. My comfort zone max for taking an animal has been 400 yards. Maybe I can stretch things out 500. What are you finding is working out of your tikka?

Good choice you'll be very happy with that setup.
I've been shooting the 162 ELD-X in my Tikka 7mm using 70.5 grains of H-1000, Hornady brass, and loaded to max magazine length, my velocity is just under 3000 FPS. This load is over the max listed but I have no signs of pressure.
Getting sub 1/2 MOA and I've been busting rocks and steel out to 900 yards.
My wife and I both shot our bucks with with it this year and the ELD-X really worked well (instant kills in both cases).
Best of luck!

That's awesome . I will keep you posted . As soon as the weather breaks I will be experimenting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.