Savage 116 fcss vs tikka t3 lite

Summa724

Ok guys here is my dilemma. I have a Remington sps 300wm sporter. I have put plenty of 165 grain and 180 bullets down the tube using imr7828 and RL-22. I am just not seeing the accuracy out of it. I thought about installing a bell and Carlson stock to possibly see if that improves it. But I feel like I will be throwing money at it and not see the results I am looking for.I am leaning towards purchasing a savage or tikka . Basically I have put my comfort zone 400 yards and under. I am looking for some opinions. My best load so far out of my Remington is RL-22 74.5gr. 180gr. Accubond. At 1.390". 3 rounds.

The Savage 116 is a known performer. I have one in 25-06 and shoot it to 500 yards. The 300 WM version will have Savages magnum profile barrel that is about .705 at the muzzle on a 24" barrel. This is enough to stop the barrel whip that is probably affecting the performance of the Remington SPS. I believe the barrel profile is thicker than the Tikka "lite" also. the Savage will be easier to tune than either. Plus when you shoot the barrel out, just replace it yourself and see significant savings. I shoot a Savage model 12 in 300 WSM to 700 yards. It has the .705 barrel profile. The Savage 116 also comes with the Accustock which is aluminum bedded with traditional recoil lug. Much better system than Tikka's unsecured recoil lug. I believe those can have issues with magnum rifles.

Just get the B&C for it and try it out--you can always sell for most of what you have into it (the stock.) The stock will give you what the platform is currently lacking, which is a free floating barrel, and bedding. You will most likely get the accuracy you're looking for out of it.

If you're dead set on a new rifle, both of your choices are proven performers.

Since this is your first post, can we get some background? How long have you been reloading? Have you tried factory ammo? Have you had a friend try factory ammo? How fast are you firing when shooting groups? Are you shooting off a bipod or bags?

All questions to help gather data if it's the rifle itself, the stock touching, bad loads, poor form, etc.
Not saying you are a bad shot or reloader, but just don't have any background.

It could be you just have a sub-par shooter. The good thing is it could be a simple fix of trigger/stock upgrade. Or for the price of a new rifle, you could have the action trued and a new high quality barrel of your specs added. Now you have a custom rifle that you know will shoot vs. a factory tupperware gun. Nothing against those because they do shoot. Just depends on what you want to have at the end of the day... a custom or factory for about the same price.

Fill in the blanks and we can help get you sorted.

Cheers,
Hawk

Oh yea that's fine. I don't consider myself a pro what's so ever but am confident in my reloads. I have a few other rifles shooting well under sub moa. so I know I am capable.I been reloading for 7-8 years. I have shot off a very solid shooting table using a bag in the rear and a Caldwell Beach rest out front. I have tried a harris bipod also. I shoot 3 round groups . After every group i walk to the target measure write notes on it. My last trip I tried 165 gmx loads and even used a temp gun on the barrel. The only factory stuff I shot out of the rifle was Winchester 180 supreme. They shot horrible and even had the cases get stuck. So that's everything in a nutshell. I will say this is my first magnum rifle.

I've owned a lot of different rifles Savages, Remington, etc.. I've changed stocks, triggers, and barrels before giving the Tikkas a try.
I currently have a T3 7mm rem mag and it's by far my favorite rifle; super light, ridiculously accurate, the trigger is awesome, and they cycle really smoothly.

Oh yea that's fine. I don't consider myself a pro what's so ever but am confident in my reloads. I have a few other rifles shooting well under sub moa. so I know I am capable.I been reloading for 7-8 years. I have shot off a very solid shooting table using a bag in the rear and a Caldwell Beach rest out front. I have tried a harris bipod also. I shoot 3 round groups . After every group i walk to the target measure write notes on it. My last trip I tried 165 gmx loads and even used a temp gun on the barrel. The only factory stuff I shot out of the rifle was Winchester 180 supreme. They shot horrible and even had the cases get stuck. So that's everything in a nutshell. I will say this is my first magnum rifle.

Thanks for the background. Have you checked the stock with a dollar bill to make sure it's not touching and floated? Rest it in some bags or on your bipod. With no pressure on the barrel, run a bill from muzzle to action. If anything touches, note were and get a barrel sized dowel, wrap it in sandpaper and make a few passes. Check again. If all is floated, now try with a little downward pressure on the muzzle of the barrel. This will simulate loading the bipod. If touches now, remove more material in the barrel channel.

Might also look at trying some different torque specs on the action screws or for burs in the action or action area of the stock.

But if you want a new stick, b/c nothing wrong with that either, I'd probably go with the Tikka. Savages are nice, but heavier usually a little clunkier just due to the floating bolt head. Which is a great piece of technology and why makes them great shooters. But everything with the Tikka is so nice. Awesome barrel and trigger, which are the most important parts. Stock isn't that bad, it' better than any other budget stock IMO.

Best of luck brother!

Yea the Remington Stock has these two lugs at the end of the stock that keep it from free float. I was afraid to remove them because I figured the stock would be to weak and still rub on barrel with pressure applied. So basically it would come down to a new stock or checking out the tikka.

I would opt for a Savage over a Tikka every time. Yes, I have owned both. The Tikka is okay but I don't like their weird unconventional recoil lug set-up and just believe the Savage is a better built rifle, especially if a Timney or other better trigger is installed. FWIW

There are way more Savages in the LR shooting game than Tikkas. There is a reason... Tikkas make nice carry hunting rifles because they are lite. But your main concern seems accuracy. The robust Savage action and slightly heavier contour magnum profile barrel will give you that accuracy. The Savage barrel is button rifled the Tikka is a mass produced hammer forged barrel (as is your SPS). It starts walking in magnum calibers with just a few shots. You will probably want to replace the stock and the Tikka plastic magazine allow little room for loading and shooting heavy for caliber bullets. Don't buy into that slick action thing a Savage 116 action is very smooth too. The Savage 116 is by far a better rifle.

Ok. Well I had to stop at the gun shop yesterday and pick up some accubonds. Sure enough they had both rifles. I checked them out. They both have pros and cons. I think what I should do is go with a B&C stock and Barrel upgrade. The price of that up grade would be close to the price of another rifle that won't be 100% what I am looking for.

Ok. Well I had to stop at the gun shop yesterday and pick up some accubonds. Sure enough they had both rifles. I checked them out. They both have pros and cons. I think what I should do is go with a B&C stock and Barrel upgrade. The price of that up grade would be close to the price of another rifle that won't be 100% what I am looking for.

Here's a little encouragement toward the Savage. Friday I ran into a guy at the range with a Savage. There was too much fog to shoot even to 100 so we shot the breeze. He told he fired a five shot 1.67" group at 600 yards the day before!

Here's a little encouragement toward the Savage. Friday I ran into a guy at the range with a Savage. There was too much fog to shoot even to 100 so we shot the breeze. He told he fired a five shot 1.67" group at 600 yards the day before!

Nice! I actually have a cheap savage axis heavy barrel .308 and it is very accurate. I have shot it out to 700 at steel which is max adjustment on my scope and it is impressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.