Tikka plunger ejectors

Viking264

Looking for experiences from Tikka T3 owners regarding durability of their plunger ejectors. Specifically looking to hear about failures, or lack thereof with considerable rounds down the barrel.

Thanks for your time.

I've got around 500 rounds on my tikka in 270; she's been fine... The aluminum rings can be frustrating on heavy recoiling rifles but they too are working fine for me...

Those northern euros know how to put a gun together. Far less problems than I've had with Ruger/Winchester claw extractors. It goes against conventional wisdom but when I buy a Tikka, I just shoot it. When I buy some other things, I have to walk them into the gunsmith.

I've had mine for over 10 years and it has worked flawlessly. 300 WSM and it has taken a lot of animals. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

What prompted the question was a recent failure with a Savage 110, chambered in .284 Win and loaded to less-than-max pressures. Previously, the action was used with a .260 Remington, again loaded to less-than-max pressures. I was at the range when the 110 failed, fortunately. I had no idea why the empty cases weren't ejecting until I pulled the bolt, inspected the face, and realized that the plunger was completely "plunged" and not budging. It was a reasonably simple fix at home having procured a replacement plunger and spring, however it got me thinking.

Having used Mausers for years, all with fixed-blade ejection, I had never experienced a failure to eject. In the past few years, I have picked up a pair of T3 rifles, which as you will all know have the same plunger ejection principle as the Savage. I am by no means implying that Tikka is superior in construction to Savage; there are definite design differences between the two actions. To be honest, the primary reason that I own any Savage rifles is the ability to swap barrels without sending the action off to a gunsmith. For that reason, I have a deposit down on a long action Mausingfield, which will give me the same benefit as the Savage but with the hybrid design of the Mauser action and Springfield ejector.

I am wondering if I am likely to run across the same issue with the Tikkas that befell the Savage.

The plunger-style activated ejection of casings with the plunger in the bolt face; those plungers can seize up in the bolt face on shotguns or rifles if debris or corrosion bind them up. Keep them lightly lubricated, and test them for freedom of movement every now and then. They're used on lots of bolts and the design and operation is obviously quite reliable. If you don't blow a primer and keep them from rusting tight, they should remain functional.

Thanks for the reply. What surprised me was the failure despite having periodically lubricated the mechanism and not seeing any signs of binding or corrosion. Maybe it was some kind of freak occurrence.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.