Rem ejector/extractor prob?

hnts4fun

I have not had much experience with Remington 700's and recently purchased a used Sendero. When I slowly work the bolt to remove a fired case, the bolt face "lets go of the case" and lays it on top of the magazine follower. However, if I work the bolt briskly, the casing clears the receiver with ease.

Do I have a problem or do I need to get used to push feeds?

Thanks.

Matt

I have not had much experience with Remington 700's and recently purchased a used Sendero. When I slowly work the bolt to remove a fired case, the bolt face "lets go of the case" and lays it on top of the magazine follower. However, if I work the bolt briskly, the casing clears the receiver with ease.

Do I have a problem or do I need to get used to push feeds?

Thanks.

Matt

There is nothing wrong with your action.

The fired cases let go faster than the loaded rounds will because of the shorter length of
the fired case.

The Remington does not have a mechanical ejector and this allows the case to be ejected
as soon as the round clears the action port.

With a mechanical ejector it forces the case to exit with the bolt almost all the way back
with the extractor still holding the case.

J E CUSTOM

I am kind of fond of a sako type extractor myself. I have had one installed on all of my model 700's. I think they are a bit more reliable myself.

JE and Bud,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I appreciate the information! Another fellow suggested that either my ejector spring or ejector may be bad. Additionally he suggested looking for burrs or debris that might sometimes impede the ejector function. All thoughts and advice are welcome. Thanks for the input.

Matt

Another fellow suggested that either my ejector spring or ejector may be bad. Additionally he suggested looking for burrs or debris that might sometimes impede the ejector function. All thoughts and advice are welcome. Thanks for the input.

Matt
And your friend's statement is valid as well. The std Rem ejector doesn't function well if "crudded up" etc. Clean, lube and check the spring tension on the ejector before spending $$$ on upgrades.
The other fellow may be spot on.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.