Better Rem. 700 extractor coming

Litehiker

My HS Precision barreled and stocked .300 Win mag Remington 700 will be getting Pacific Machine and Tool's Sako type extractor installed.

I detest the el cheapo Remington extractors and have wanted to do this for a long time. Actually I'd really like to get a GAP 3 lug action on that barrel but it's over $1,000. and too much to pay for a bit shorter bolt lift.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I've had several Mod 700s through the years that my smith converted with an "M16" Sako type extractor. Some of the rifles required a second plunger button ejector, especially on the RUM cases.

If given a choice between a Sako, an M16, and an el cheapo, I prefer the el cheapo.

Yeah, now that I realize the required placement of the SAKO type extractor will throw my long .300 Win mag cases up into my windage turret and possibly THEN back down into my feed ramp causing a jam I may back off on this deal.

One thing I'll say after owning a Browning A-Bolt and two Rugers (RPR and RAP) is that I will NEVER buy another Remington 700. Lousy triggers, crap extractors and 2 lug bolt requiring a very specifically set up mag well for good cartridge feeding.

The added plunger I mentioned can be positioned to throw your case clear of your scope! Its added around the 2-3 o'clock on the bolt face.

My smith retired last year, (Lou Gehrigs) but he was really great about fixing problems. He always did a great job of the fitting/tuning those extractors and ejector buttons. I only went that route for me because I was always playing around with rifles I picked up in trade or wanted to experiment. I also don't accumulate, so if I wanted another rifle I'd have an existing one rebarreled/converted/whatever. Personally, I've never had a factory Mod 700 extractor fail, and I've had a lot of Mod 700s. I have "seen" a friends Mod 700 7mm RemMag ejector button get stuck and not eject...but that was just grime, ha!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.