Tikka, first rifle calibers-recoil

This is a no-brainer. Buy him the Tikka in the best caliber (Creed) to start a kid with there is. If you handload you can download with 100-grain Partitions or TTSX bullets and he will still be able to kill the biggest deer that walks to farther than he'll probably shoot. He'll be able to get all kinds of ammo anywhere that sells ammo, AND he'll likely have that gun forever. You're a GREAT Dad!

Howdy folks,

my son turns 10 this August and it's time for a big boy rifle. He's dead set on wanting a Tikka T3X. Which is great and his two cartridge picks are 6.5 creedmmor and .308. He doesn't know he's getting the rifle. I'm leaning more towards the 6.5 as I have one for paper punching and have hunted with it. Its such a soft shooting round I think he will be able to get a lot more trigger time with that. Than the .308. Remember, he's 10. So we're not trying to throw down at 400 yds. Just always like to hear others opinions. Much appreciated.
I'm turning 72...in December...actively accepting surprise rifles......will act really, really surprised and appreciative.

6.5CM in T3X is a great choice. Take your son hunting and you'll never have to hunt your son. Well, done, Dad.

For the record, I faced a similar situation a couple of years ago in considering a grandkids' gun. I ended up getting a Kimber Hunter (similar in price to a Tikka) because of its extreme light weight.

The Stainless Kimber Hunter in 257 Roberts @ under 6lbs is the one tempting me at the moment. For a general walking around rifle, its light weight and stainless nature should work well for me.

Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor = great choice - if you reload Midway lists 40 different bullets 120 grains or less, thus very little recoil.

Get him what he wants, he will probably be more likely to use it.

If you reload, I would start out with the speer TNT for paper, steel and varmints to 600yds. Cheap shooting and very accurate. If you can get a threaded barrel, I'd throw a brake on just to start out on a good foot.

With any luck, by the time he is in his teens he have worn out the barrel and be ready for a 6.5 SAUM.

6.5 its nice to be able to shoot the same ammo and if you handload go to a reduced load for his first year and let him get his confidence up, Tikka is a great starter bought my two t3's years ago, before the creeds in 308's and they still hunt with them today

I would suggest a Tikka .223. Comes with 1/8 twist barrel allowing you to use heavy bullets. Low recoil, cheap practice ammo, and deadly with 77gr heavies.

Unless elk are on the table, then I'd go 6.5 (or even 243).

I would suggest a Tikka .223. Comes with 1/8 twist barrel allowing you to use heavy bullets. Low recoil, cheap practice ammo, and deadly with 77gr heavies.

Unless elk are on the table, then I'd go 6.5 (or even 243).

.223/5.56 may be cheap but, for hunting I don't consider it effective for things beyond predators and pests. Sure, you can shoot a feral hog in the ear hole but, that is a pretty high expectation for a new shooter. A mid-bore is a lot more apt to put meat on the table which is awesome for positive reinforcement.

Killed my first deer with a fully custom 300win at age 8. 150 grain ballistic tip at 3000 FPS. If you reload I would get him a 270 or 30-06 and load it a shade light and let him grow into the big loads.

What do you hunt? Don't discount a 257 Roberts or 243 Win as they work great on deer and are easy on the shoulder.

Shooting golf balls or shotgun shells with a 223 Remington or 204 Ruger is a lot of fun. They also work well on Coyotes!

My suggestions don't work for 'Walter Mitty' adventures but, they make easing a young shooter into the hunt easier. They don't work so well for bragging rights in the junior or high school parking lot though, Social media posts of dead predators lined up may or may not be a hit with his friends. Where I'm at predator and crop pest hunts are only limited by my freetime. Feral hogs really need a mid-bore though so, at least 0.25" bore with a larger option being even better.

I'm personally looking at a 257 Robert's with a 257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard being very tempting.
If a Semi custo
Howdy folks,

my son turns 10 this August and it's time for a big boy rifle. He's dead set on wanting a Tikka T3X. Which is great and his two cartridge picks are 6.5 creedmmor and .308. He doesn't know he's getting the rifle. I'm leaning more towards the 6.5 as I have one for paper punching and have hunted with it. Its such a soft shooting round I think he will be able to get a lot more trigger time with that. Than the .308. Remember, he's 10. So we're not trying to throw down at 400 yds. Just always like to hear others opinions. Much appreciated.
If you're into reloading, the 25-284 is a fine and very accurate cartridge (short action). and really easy on the shoulder.
Fire forming brass is a straight forward, single step process. All you need is WW .284 brass. SUB moa is easy and 1/2" normal.
It's the ballistic twin to the 25-06 (Long action) and only bested by the Weatherby for velocity.
The.257 Roberts is a nostalgic (long action) cartridge good accuracy, but it falls short of the Weatherby & the
25-284.
my .02 cents

The.257 Roberts is a nostalgic (long action) cartridge good accuracy, but it falls short of the Weatherby & the
25-284.
my .02 cents

Not everyone or every hunt needs the Weatherby or a wildcat. Heck, where I grew up the pedestrian 30-30 lever action ruled.

The 6.5x55 is still one of the most popular cartridges in Europe, especially in the Scandinavian countries. The 7mm and 8mm Mausers are no slouches either. Granted the 257Roberts is an American invention but, it gives a strong nod to its predecessors and is plenty for most people and most hunts, though not optimal for really large animals or really distant shots but, that can be said for a lot of well-regarded cartridges too.

This wildcat calls for a kid are absolutely ludicrous. Get the kid a 270 and or even a 300win and load it light. If you don't reload grab anything based on a 308 case and he will be fine a T3X lite.

I want to go against the grain here:

Get him the 308!

J/k I have the 6.5C superlite and it's amazing. Half inch groups and is the prefect cartridge for your kid to grow into. Recommend a limb saver recoil pad as the only cheap upgrade.

Amazing gun and best value out there IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.