Tikka, first rifle calibers-recoil

Howdy folks,

my son turns 10 this August and it's time for a big boy rifle. He's dead set on wanting a Tikka T3X. Which is great and his two cartridge picks are 6.5 creedmmor and .308. He doesn't know he's getting the rifle. I'm leaning more towards the 6.5 as I have one for paper punching and have hunted with it. Its such a soft shooting round I think he will be able to get a lot more trigger time with that. Than the .308. Remember, he's 10. So we're not trying to throw down at 400 yds. Just always like to hear others opinions. Much appreciated.
Have a 12 year old daughter she uses one of my 6.5 Creedmoor, I don't think you can go wrong with the Tikka. The 308 does have more recoil, she like it.

I happen to really like the 6.5CM and .308 as I have both. A friend of mine has an 8 year old son who is pretty small for his age but shoots both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a
Remington 5R GenII 308 out to 700 consistently hitting a steel target which I believe is 8x12. His son has laid claim to the .308 shooting Hornady Precision 178. I've never seen a kid that age so focused when he shoots, you would think he's been through every sniper school in the country. So based on this experience I think either one is a great choice.

Lucky kid and a great dad! 6.5C has better ballistics, just as much factory ammo available, and as mentioned less recoil. It'd get the nod if I was in your situation. Actually.. it'd get my nod in pretty much any situation, given those two choices.

Last edited:
I think you have already made the right choice. The tikka is a great rifle and the 6.5 creedmoor is about as good as it gets for everything the average shooter /hunter will ever do. The caliber choice is easy in my opinion, the creedmoor beats the .308 in every category other than ammo price, and that only when you include junk surplus plinking ammo.
There is only one scenario i can think of where a 308 would ever be more beneficial than the 6.5 creedmoor and that would be short range big game hunting for moose or something like it. The kind of hunting where you want as much punch as possible but distant shots are not a reality.
That is not really what a 10yr old is going to be doing. The creedmoor has better ballistics at medium and long range. It is lighter recoiling. It has more than enough velocity and energy to kill most big game animals at moderate ranges and it has more energy and velocity at longer ranges than the 308 anyway. It's also got some unbelievably accurate factory ammo. I hope your son is super excited with his surprise!

Howdy folks,

my son turns 10 this August and it's time for a big boy rifle. He's dead set on wanting a Tikka T3X. Which is great and his two cartridge picks are 6.5 creedmmor and .308. He doesn't know he's getting the rifle. I'm leaning more towards the 6.5 as I have one for paper punching and have hunted with it. Its such a soft shooting round I think he will be able to get a lot more trigger time with that. Than the .308. Remember, he's 10. So we're not trying to throw down at 400 yds. Just always like to hear others opinions. Much appreciated.
I would lean toward the 6.5 as I believe it has less recoil and would be a better all around rifle for your 10 year old son

+1 on the 6.5 cm .. One of my covid projects was to set up a long throat 223 with a 12.25" lop as a kiddo training rifle to ring steel and give them confidence. Next step for them will be a 6.5 to hunt with.

I think the OP's son was asking for a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 308 Win. Personally, I think a 257 Roberts would be the cat's meow and a bit unique for him but, it's not his son's primary wishlist caliber.

Myself, I'm a big fan of the older cartridges like this and the 6.5x55 'Swede', 7 Mauser, etc. What can I say, I guess I'm a bit into classics!

Agreed 100%. I've got two Winchester pre 64's in 257 Roberts. Offered him one as he shots them well. I think he is just looking for a rifle that's his and I respect that decision. By the way, I've killed elk, mule deer, coyotes, and a ton of deer with my Roberts. It's my pet caliber and great minds think alike! Kids these days!!!
I want a mod 70 in Roberts best. I have a small pre 64 collection. I have a 300 H&H, a .270 Winnie, a 30-06 Palma with fat Krieger barrel and a 22-250. That 6.5 will serve him we'll all of his days if he treats it right.

I love the 260 in mine, and i think it out performs the 6.5 Creed for the first 400 to 500 yards. The 6.5's are a great caliber however you build them. (As are the .257's. Don't forget the sweet shooting 250 Savage)
Totally agree. I have a type 38 Sporter in 260 AI and my wife shoots the old 99 in 250 Savage

Howdy folks,

I started out on a Thompson Center break action single shot in 308 around that age. Wasn't a paper puncher, but, I never missed while head shooting pigs and does. Either one will be great.

Another vote for the 6.5.

I live in AK and I'd happily carry it for anything other than moose and brown bear. I feel like it's a little small for moose, but if it's what I had with me I'd be confident enough to take a shot. Brown bear are the only thing I'd feel undergunned for.

I have most calibers covered from 224 through 458 and my next rifle will probably be another 6.5 in 6.5prc ive got 3 6.5 creeds 2 6.5x284 and a 260ai

Wow, this thread is quite united and with lots of helpful comments for the OP.

For the record, I faced a similar situation a couple of years ago in considering a grandkids' gun. I ended up getting a Kimber Hunter (similar in price to a Tikka) because of its extreme light weight. Someone 9-10 or even 12 or older enjoys the lightness of the Kimber. That said, I think that the Tikka is an EXCELLENT choice for a first rifle. They, too, are light, and every Tikka that I have owned have been shooters right out of the box, although I have "mini-bedded" three of them. Your son will know that you love him.

Caliber raises a second question. I, too, will side with those suggesting the lighter caliber(s), although my own choice for a grandkids' rifle was 308. The 308 is a better caliber where larger game are expected, and I plan to host grandkids in Tanzania after this Corona thing finishes. Hartebeest and cow elk can benefit from a larger bore. But for deer, reedbuck and impala, the 6.5 CM would be great, as would the Bob, the 257Roberts.

There is a special consideration for not choosing a 308 if you go with a Tikka3x. The Tikka 3x uses an 11" twist in its 308. Admittedly, that twist is adequate for light to medium bullets and a young hunter is probably going to be hunting deer where the light to medium bullets are more than adequate. However, some of the special long-range bullets may not work as well as in a rifle with 10" like the Kimber and many others. This is an important characteristic for choosing a caliber. Manufacturers of 308s split into three camps, those with 10" twist, 11" twist, and 12" twist. In these days of copper bullets and long-range bullets, the faster twist is strongly recommended. So if a Tikka 3x is chosen, then the caliber should probably be 6.5CM, 708, 260, 257Bob, or even a 243. They are all excellent. (PS: the Tikka uses the same action for 270 or 260, there is no "short-action" model for the 6.5, 260, or 243. That also allows Tikka to produce a 257 Bob and the 270 Win in the exact same model and action.) These days the 6.5 is considered sexy, so go with that for your son and explain what that means after he gets his first deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.