Question on Caliber/Recoil & Stocks

Slimwallet

Gents,

I have access to some very nice private land here in Colorado with three different "stands" that overlook a park, ridge and a draw. Shots on deer and elk would be from 150 to max of 400 yards or so. Like to have a good 400 yard rifle.

Almost bought a 300 Win Mag Sendero last week. Been concerned about recoil...getting old and quite a few miles on the chassis.... Anyway.. thought the Sendero or any "9-12" pound rifle would be heavy enough so I could stand the kick.
But then got another idea.. how about the 325 WSM or 300 WSM?

Looked a 325 WSM info but got afraid of the recoil as most rifles seem to be 7 pounds or so. Don't like the idea of a muzzle brake due to noise.

But how about a 325 or 300 WSM in a gun with a Knoxx recoil stock? Might be lighter to tote than the Sendero and still not kick as much....

Your thoughts please.... Knoxx ok or not and how does this sound to you.... 300 WSM or 325 WSM in Remington or Howa with a Knoxx stock.....?

Thanks,

Slim

Well, here is my opinion. The short mags have less felt recoil, but they have more muzzle blast (typically shorter barrels on them) and greater recoil velocity.

If you are recoil shy or just don't want to take that kind of abuse, get a 30-06. I know its not as flashy or trendy as the shortmags or 300WM, but it is plenty gun for 400 yards. I would feel a little better too knowing that I would not miss or make a bad shot because I was thinking in the back of my mind how hard this gun kicked at the range or how purple my shoulder was.

If you were set on getting a 300 or 325 WSM, get the lightweight one and have Shawn or Kirby or Chris or one of the other fine smiths around here or in your neck of the woods and put a muzzlebreak on there. The lighter the rifle the more efficient the break will be. That way you can have your cake and eat it too!

Slimwallet,
You might consider a .280A/I if you reload, or a .280 Rem. if you don't. A laminated stock with a Limb Saver pad and a medium weight barrel should make for an easy to carry, mild recoiling rig. With good glass and premium bullets, either caliber will be potent enough for deer or elk out past the 400 yard range. JMHO
Dave

Hi i would go back and buy that 300 Win mAg Sendaro you have a perfect base for the perfect custom medium range rifle. They have a R# recoil padd and i believe they are the best available. send it to shawn oe Kirby and have a DE break fitted. reload ammo for it and just use starting loads and recoil will be fine.

Good Luck the WSM's are in lighter rifles so they will kick more than a 300 sendaro

Cheers Bill
Australia

I know Im taking a different route than any one else. I would go with a cooper in a 6.5x284, If you reload. If not the 300wm will work great along with a old 30-06. The 300wm will kick more. I would personally look for the 6.5 in the cooper. But all of them will work.

If you really want a lite recoiling rifle I would look at a 7mm-08. With a 140gr bullet you are talking recoil like a 25/06 at the most. That is in a Tikka T3 lite my dad has. The rifle weighs 7 1/2lbs scoped. You could shoot 160 Accubonds are something along those lines and take either animal you want to hunt. Bonus is they just plain shoot.

Gents,

Thanks for the suggestions.....

Let's see....

Dakor suggests 7mm-08
Coyotekiller and Wild Bill lean toward the Sendero
Sewwhat likes the 30.06
Screech likies Cooper 6.5 but if you don't handload go for the 300 Win Mag or 30.06
MtnSheep suggest I look at a 280 Rem

All very good comments and I thank you.

I used a 6.5x55 Swedish when I was a kid...then used 30.06's for years and killed a bunch of deer and javelinas with them. Like my current 30.06 very much.. it is a Browning Stainless Stalker.... nice but it is light and a bit hard for me to hold steady on the long shots. Same for the Kimber 7mm-08 I own. Great for toting over hill and dale but not quite heavy enough for me to shoot well at much distance.... I often get "wiggles." Doctor calls it "neuropathy" ...lose feeling in my fingers or get the shakes and sometimes both!

Anyway.....got it narrowed to three.... am leaning toward the Sendero in 300 Win Mag... haven't handloaded in years and it seems there is always ammo in the stores... not so with the 325 WSM.... couldn't find any in last two stores I stopped at. Both had 300 WSM ammo but only a couple of boxes.

I like the looks of the M-100 Eclipse and will look at the Savage with a heavy barrel in 300 WSM but unless I change my mind, the Sendero in 300 Win Mag is it.

Thanks very much....

Slim

BTW... I guess no one uses the Knoxx stock. Must be a reason for that.

That .300 win mag in a Remington Sendero would have that extra "steady weight" you desire. That weight will also soak up some of the recoil. A muzzle break may still be a wise investment. The recoil of a .300 WSM or .325 WSM is going to be, as near as your body can tell, the same as the .300 win mag (and perhaps a small bit more due to lighter weight rifles). If you handload you could load either down slightly, but if you intend to buy factory ammo there are going to be more options with the good ol' win mag, including remington's "managed-recoil" ammunition. I can't see you going wrong with the sendero (or a heavy barreled savage) in .300 win mag... Just my opinion....

[ QUOTE ]
Gents,

Let's see....

Dakor suggests 7mm-08
Coyotekiller and Wild Bill lean toward the Sendero
Sewwhat likes the 30.06
Screech likies Cooper 6.5 but if you don't handload go for the 300 Win Mag or 30.06
MtnSheep suggest I look at a 280 Rem

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you glad you asked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One thing no one has mentioned is a muzzle break. They are louder than normal but can make that 300 WM feel like a 308.

My 14 yo son shoots my 50 BMG rifle because of the break.

The Sendero in 300WM w/muzzle break would give you the weight for steady hold, the power for 400 yd shots, and the recoil of a 308.

Hi Cat Shooter i stated right at the start get it to shawn and have a DE Break fitted. Thats the way to go with his 300 Win Mag Sendaro

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.