Recoil Pad Question

winmagman

I was out the other day shooting my 300 win mag. The weather was nice so I was in jeans and a T-shirt. While recoil was by no means brutal I noticed after 20-25 rounds that I was definitly not shooting a rimfire rifle. My question is does someone make a recoil pad that actually makes a differnce? At the moment the rifle just has the factory pad. Since I plan on shooting more often and in warmer weather I'm looking for something to take the edge off without going to a muzzle brake.
Thanks for any help.
Chris

There are several to choose from, but I have found that a Pachmyer decelerator pad is one of the most comfortable, and makes shooting bigger rifles more managable.

smile.gif

I have a PAST strap on shooting pad. Works great and is about the same thickness as my winter hunting jacket so I dont feel any difference in the gun length from a tshirt and pad to just winter wear. If that makes any sense. Cost about $30.

I will second the motion for the PAST, sure does a good job on hard kickers. PAST recoil shields are available in several models, the big thick one might be overkill for your situation, suggest the standard model. Available at Cabela's or most any sporting goods store.
Another good trick is to simply put a small sandbag (technically called a sissybag) between your shoulder and the butt, anything to distribute the recoil forces over a bigger area. I have even used a pair of heavy wool socks.
You won't feel the recoil when you are hunting, but if it gets to you, you might develope a flinch and that is not good at any time.

Thanks guys. I took a look at the PAST pad in the Cabelas catalog, looks like the way to go.

Ian, a sissybag, really couldn't they have called it something a little more manly? Something like Recoil reduction system or anything but sissybag. To go into a store and ask for one of those would hurt worse than any amount of recoil.
Thanks again.
Chris

Probably nothing better than a Pachmayr F990. Around an inch thick, just like a marshmallow. I've got one on a .300 Win. Mag, and on a .338-.378. I get them from Brownells. If you run over to Accuratereloading.com, you'll see that Robgunbuilder put one one the back of his just completed .600 OK. A picture is posted, so you can get a look at one too. Those who do not like the white line spacer can make it go away with a permanent black marker.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.