Tikka CTR in .260 Rem with suppressor?

SouthTXBowhunter

I've been wanting to play around with a shorter barreled rifle with a suppressor and I've got a chance to pick up a very lightly used Tikka CTR in .260R. I realize that a 20" barrel isn't optimal for the .260 but I'm wondering if the suppressor (Silencerco Omega 7" or the ThunderBeast Ultra 7") would help make up enough velocity to make this an effective hunting rifle for whitetail out to, let's say, 500-600yds? In reality, it would become an all-around ranch rifle for everything from culling whitetails to a predator gun; and I'm hoping it'd make a great rifle for my wife and our kids.

I really like the idea of a 20" bbl for running a 7" suppressor on just because it's not such a crazy long package and would be easy to tote around in the S. Texas brush and in a truck. Plus, I have a love affair going on with 6.5s right now. Lol! Just wondering whether I'm letting my infatuation get the better of me or is this a reasonable direction to go in, for a suppressed hunting rifle?

It will not be a large gain like you are thinking. You can't replace 7" of barrel with 7" of suppressor and equal the same effect...It just doesn't work like that. And here's why...

Suppressors are not rifled, and the opening is larger than the bore diameter. If it does add any velocity it will be very little caused from atmospheric changes in front of, or from a more even gas dispersion behind the bullet, but the extra velocity will still be hardly noticeable.

The reason longer barrels generate more velocity is because the rifling squeezes the bullet's jacket creating pressure that builds up from the burning powder's gasses expanding...That's how the bullet is propelled. And the longer the bullet is in the bore (the longer the barrel), the more pressure it is building, which will equal to more velocity. Once the bullet leaves the muzzle, it is no longer gaining any velocity, because the pressure behind the bullet was propelling it, has dispersed into the atmosphere. Another reason why the crown of a barrel is so important, but that topic is for another conversation.

Even with a 20" barrel, the .260 Rem would still be very capable for deer out to 500-600 yards.

i don't know the answer on suppressor, but my CTR in 260 is a favorite of mine. I'm getting 2624 fps with 140amax and 42.7 H4350, not a hot load by any means. That velocity/bullet weight will do fine for deer at those distances (or use 130 Accubond, or other specific hunting bullet of your choice). Also just fyi the 123 Amax at 43.7 gr of H4350 in mine runs about 2720fps. mine shoots very accurate too, but I'm still in load optimization mode.

I would agree with both responses so far.

If circumstances were right I would have no qualms about using my Tikka 260 CTR to 500-600 yards.

The Berger 130 AR Hybrid would likely be my choice for deer, the 140's retain a bit more energy, and would work also.

The .260 was developed as a tactical caliber and intended for short barreled tactical rifles so I think you'll be just fine.

You won't get quite the same velocity that you would out of a longer barrel but with that case size you're still going to get most of it.

yes at my moderate tikka ctr velocities w/140gr (2640 fps), you are still moving at @ 1750+ fps at 600 yds, which is slightly less than 1K ft-lbs of energy (989 ft-lbs per jbm ballistics). Plenty enough to kill deer, and is a very handy rifle.

Thanks y'all! That's what I was thinking. A buddy of mine that's pretty serious about his LR shooting was dogging me for even considering a shorter barrel, claiming it's a waste and "he'd never own anything less than 30" and blah, blah, blah!" Lol! I'm not looking for this to be a 1K yd hunting rifle and I ''get" that I would get better performance out of a longer barrel but I think this is going to be a darn handy setup for South Texas and the work I do. Y'all made me feel a lot better about it and I sure do appreciate that! Merry Christmas fellas!

Thanks y'all! That's what I was thinking. A buddy of mine that's pretty serious about his LR shooting was dogging me for even considering a shorter barrel, claiming it's a waste and "he'd never own anything less than 30" and blah, blah, blah!" Lol! I'm not looking for this to be a 1K yd hunting rifle and I ''get" that I would get better performance out of a longer barrel but I think this is going to be a darn handy setup for South Texas and the work I do. Y'all made me feel a lot better about it and I sure do appreciate that! Merry Christmas fellas!
Your buddy may want to educate himself a bit particularly with respect to case capacity.

There's only so much powder you can burn no matter what the barrel length is and that's limited by case capacity and the powders you choose.

With shorter barrels you can still achieve good velocities with faster burning powders.

FYI, I am in Austin and have a CTR in 260. If you want to check it out sometime, let me know. Long and short, with handloads using Lapua brass, I get well over 2700 using 140 amax's loaded to maximum length for the magazine, which, as I remember, is pretty significantly longer than book lengths. It's a safe load in my rifle, and very accurate.

Different tools for different jobs-From how you describe your needs, I think you've made a good choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.