Thwoop after impact

Buster Hemlock

If you've heard it then I'm sure you know what I mean. In your experience where was the animal hit to create this sound? Is it an indication of a solid well placed hit or not? I have/had my thoughts but they may not hold after a recent experience.

The whoop can an indicator of a solid hit but not necessarily a good hit. The whoop usually come from a body hit, can be heart/lung or guts makes the same sound. Depending on topography and how sound travels it doesn't always make the same return sound. I have also heard the whoop on a miss, just depends on what bullet strikes on the back ground. A higher pitched crack can indicate bone or a rock, sound is very similar.

All copper don't seem to make as big or any whoop in my small sample size that I've witnessed.

I would say it is not an indicator of a good hit, just mainly a indicator of a hit. The type of sound plus animals reaction is usually a good indicator.

Not a whoop, but heard plenty of "whop" on impact. And has always meant a hit on game. Luckily, all of ours has been a dead animal. But I have heard it on less than optimal hits as well.
What were your results on those less than optimal hits? Had a kid out on a youth hunt, running a suppressed rifle. Watched the animal drop in its tracks with a distinct "Thwoop" and thought game over and were high-5'ing. Turn around and it's totally gone along with its two buddies which we can still see and are just lingering 50 yards away from where it was shot. At this point I figure hey he got up and ran off and dropped again in the direction of his buds and has probably laid down dying. We wait till they meander off continually looking back to allow it to die and then go see what's what where it was shot. Zero blood. Head to where his buds were lingering and can't find squat. Now it's been nearly 24 hours, been all over the place and can't find a thing but there is a lot of tall vegetation around that unless you step on it you might not see it. Is it still worth looking for? The meat is no good now which erks me but finding the animal for the kid would be awesome to get a picture and the antlers. Thoughts?

you talking about the sound the bullet makes on impact, or the sound that comes out of my mouth when I know its a good hit? ;)
Well I'd say both up until the other day. I literally said "Thwoop" immediately after. Has always been a good indicator plus an animal immediately hitting the ground and flopping about. This is the first I've had this all happen and turn around in 10 seconds to see nothing. Yes I was excited for the kid and hyping him up and should have known to keep watching but I was genuinely excited for him and wanted it to be a big moment. Now I'm left wondering what the heck happened?!?! Is he right there and I'm somehow missing it in this tall stuff?

What were your results on those less than optimal hits? Had a kid out on a youth hunt, running a suppressed rifle. Watched the animal drop in its tracks with a distinct "Thwoop" and thought game over and were high-5'ing. Turn around and it's totally gone along with its two buddies which we can still see and are just lingering 50 yards away from where it was shot. At this point I figure hey he got up and ran off and dropped again in the direction of his buds and has probably laid down dying. We wait till they meander off continually looking back to allow it to die and then go see what's what where it was shot. Zero blood. Head to where his buds were lingering and can't find squat. Now it's been nearly 24 hours, been all over the place and can't find a thing but there is a lot of tall vegetation around that unless you step on it you might not see it. Is it still worth looking for? The meat is no good now which erks me but finding the animal for the kid would be awesome to get a picture and the antlers. Thoughts?

If you are allowed find somebody with a drone and do a fly over. You can't believe what you can find.

Typically that reactions come from a shot near the spine area. Enough shock to drop him but no damage to the spine. Hard to say if he will live or die from the shot.

I watched a bull go 1 1/2 miles in open desert country with an arrow thru 1 lung (found out after we found him dead). never would have been found if it wasn't open where we could watch. they can go along ways with fatal injuries sometimes.

My reaction is he is dead somewhere close by. I hit an elk a little far back with an arrow. He was with a spike and another bull. The bull I shot was within 50 yards but I could not see him because of saplings. I hunkered down and waited. The other bull waited around for a little while. The spike waited around and kept looking back where I heard the bull I shot. The spike even bedded down 20 yards from me an looking back at the bull. After about 45 minutes he wandered off. The bull was dead 40 yards from me where the spike kept looking.

None of the less than optimal shots were mine or family members. But I have witnessed others making the shots. Results have been mixed.

One was just a high/too far back spine shock, the deer ended up getting it's legs back under him after about 1 minute and 3 missed follow up shots, and was gone.

One was a gut shot that hit the liver and was fatal fairly quickly. Bull went about 40 yards, bedded, and was left to expire quickly. The guy could not get a shooting lane for a follow up, and did not want to spook him into running again.

One was a shot low/way too far back, but the deer only went 50 yards before piling up. Shot hit the femoral artery internally, and I was called to come help look due to no blood. Found him the next morning. Body cavity was like a water balloon filled with blood.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.