Thoughts on Which single shot?

Looking to add a single shot center fire rifle to the safe. Wondering who has experience with them. I have only handled the h&r handi rifle. I love the look of the ruger and t/c.
The plan would be a cartridge for longer range work. I currently have a reasonable spread of cartridges but nothing for really reaching out on larger stuff. . I currently own a 223 , 6.5 swede, 280 rem , 308, 7-08, 6mm rem, 7.5x55 375 h&h and of course a 30-06. I was thinking maybe a 7stw or 8mm rem. Although 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag are easily attainable. Any info or thoughts and field experiences are appreciated.
A Ruger No1 in 7mm STW would be an awesome "add" to anyone's collection.

There are a few of them in circulation, I've seen them from time to time including some that were stainless with laminated stocks.

I've always loved the No. 1.

Looking to add a single shot center fire rifle to the safe. Wondering who has experience with them. I have only handled the h&r handi rifle. I love the look of the ruger and t/c.
The plan would be a cartridge for longer range work. I currently have a reasonable spread of cartridges but nothing for really reaching out on larger stuff. . I currently own a 223 , 6.5 swede, 280 rem , 308, 7-08, 6mm rem, 7.5x55 375 h&h and of course a 30-06. I was thinking maybe a 7stw or 8mm rem. Although 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag are easily attainable. Any info or thoughts and field experiences are appreciated.

I had #1 7mag that I hunted elk/deer here in Co and I had new barrel put on chamber for the 30-338mag. I still have it and also shoot bolt action 30-338mag. I also have couple #1's with Kepplinger set triggers chamber for 22br and 6ppc both tight neck.

I haven't kept up with chambering on # so my experience would be with 7mag in factory and I still hunt same unit with the 30-338mag's on a bull tag. My only concern would be brass on the 2 you mentioned and 7mm has better bullets. I did have wrist band made for the #1 for follow up shot if needed and took little practice.

Well good luck

Thought about a sleek and lightweight SSBA (single shot break action), which are both famous and desired by many knowledgeable hunters around the world. Very strong, durable actions in rifles, which can be easily decomposed and stored in a backpack to be then composed again without changing POI. I would strongly recommend those of Merkel or Blaser. Since you are in the US 280 AI would be perfect caliber-wise. Extraordinary precision / accuracy is guaranteed.

Thought about a sleek and lightweight SSBA (single shot break action), which are both famous and desired by many knowledgeable hunters around the world. Very strong, durable actions in rifles, which can be easily decomposed and stored in a backpack to be then composed again without changing POI. I would strongly recommend those of Merkel or Blaser. Since you are in the US 280 AI would be perfect caliber-wise. Extraordinary precision / accuracy is guaranteed.

My dream gun. Have no idea what i would use it for but since childhood i have always been fascinated by those double rifles. Maybe hiking in grizzly country out west.

Holland & Holland New &Round Action& Double Rifle

My Ruger #1A is one of my favorite rifles. It is beautiful, elegant, and a joy to carry, but it has a lot going against it as a long range rifle. If you are considering a #1 as a long range rig, you would be best served by going with a #1B or #1V.

With ANY #1, plan on doing some work on it to reach its full potential. If you are sufficiently in love with the #1, it will be worth it. If you are looking to do it on a budget, the #1 is not the way to go.

Benchracer got it down; while it's a beautiful classic in and of itself it's still an entry level to the mark. The Dakota 10 may still be had and there are a few great single shot bolts out there. Some have been mentioned, but I have one that hasn't. It's Shawn Carlock's Terminator, made of 17PH stainless it's pretty stiff, strong, but manufactured to be a ELR hunting rifle. Another is the Barnard out of Australia. I agree however--nothing raises the pulse like a Purdey, H&H, or some of the Italian, high-end Spanish, and German doubles. then there's drillings... Just how much trouble are you willing to go for?

My dream gun. Have no idea what i would use it for but since childhood i have always been fascinated by those double rifles. Maybe hiking in grizzly country out west.

Holland & Holland New &Round Action& Double Rifle

Thank you, but I didn't mean double rifles. What I mentioned is a special class of single shot rifles with just one barrel like the Ruger #1. Based on a strong break action and very popular throughout Europe. We call them for "Kipplauf -Buechsen". Since those are lightweight and very easy to store they are seen as the "ultima ratio" for hunting in mountainous regions. Very often used in the Alps, Pyrenees and many other places for chamois, ibex and red deer. Perfectly balanced "mountain - rifles" and at least worth a look.

.....My Ruger #1A is one of my favorite rifles......With ANY #1, plan on doing some work on it to reach its full potential. If you are sufficiently in love with the #1, it will be worth it. If you are looking to do it on a budget, the #1 is not the way to go........

Truth!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts