Those with AG composites stocks, did you bed your action?

Bed or shoot it as is?

• Always bed the action

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • A good inletting job doesn't need it, shoot it as is.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

BuckeyeRifleman

Just put an order in on an AG Alpine hunter stock trying to lighten my rifle. It used to ride in an MPA chassis. From what I've gathered their inletting is very precise and many find bedding wasn't necessarily, but I was hoping to gather some first hand experiences of those of you with their stocks...

Did you bed your action? If so, did you notice any appreciable difference in accuracy or consistency?

I'd prefer to bed mine, but I'm worried about how much more time and money I have before elk season hits. I've done a few bedding jobs myself in the past, but with a stock and rifle this expensive I may want to send it to a smith to get it done cleanly by a professional, but time and money would be a factor. Just trying to get some feelers out for individual experiences.

Thanks!

I say try shooting it and see how it works for you without bedding it. It might shoot great and you can save yourself a couple hundred bucks. If it doesn't work well for you, it didn't cost you anything except for the price of a couple rounds of ammo.

I think I am leaning towards bedding the tang and lug only. I have 3 of them. One is still on my bench for a bighorn build but I have shot the other two a bit in a 308 and 223ai. Both shot as good as when the rifles were in chassis. The lug area is pretty generously cut so that was the only area I really felt bedding would be nice. The rest of the inlet really does fit like a glove. I keep saying that I am going to bed them when I go to swap the triggers. I really don't want to hog out material around the action so a blob of devcon in the lug may be all they get. They are great stocks.

I think I am leaning towards bedding the tang and lug only. I have 3 of them. One is still on my bench for a bighorn build but I have shot the other two a bit in a 308 and 223ai. Both shot as good as when the rifles were in chassis. The lug area is pretty generously cut so that was the only area I really felt bedding would be nice. The rest of the inlet really does fit like a glove. I keep saying that I am going to bed them when I go to swap the triggers. I really don't want to hog out material around the action so a blob of devcon in the lug may be all they get. They are great stocks.

When you get your Bighorn up and running let me know how it fits. This stock is for a Bighorn TL3.

mine is on an origin. The action fits like a glove. I still haven't sent the barrel out to get chambered yet though. I filed the stock's ejection port to match the Origin action.

I have four of the AG stocks they're amazing especially for the price only fully bedded one a waste of time. All of mine or Stillers Predator 3 and 1Tactical actions. Unless loose fit or something went wrong not necessary. Bed the recoil lug go from there.

I'm a huge fan of AG there inletting is awesome but factory actions vary from one to the next even custom to some extent. Ask any body or gunsmith who builds long range stuff or BR if full length bedding is a waste of time. BR guys glue actions to stocks for a reason.

Just put an order in on an AG Alpine hunter stock trying to lighten my rifle. It used to ride in an MPA chassis. From what I've gathered their inletting is very precise and many find bedding wasn't necessarily, but I was hoping to gather some first hand experiences of those of you with their stocks...

Did you bed your action? If so, did you notice any appreciable difference in accuracy or consistency?

I'd prefer to bed mine, but I'm worried about how much more time and money I have before elk season hits. I've done a few bedding jobs myself in the past, but with a stock and rifle this expensive I may want to send it to a smith to get it done cleanly by a professional, but time and money would be a factor. Just trying to get some feelers out for individual experiences.

Thanks!

I have two AG composites stocks. Great stocks. Inletting is good but there isnt a stock out there at any price point that gives a perfect fit. Always bed your action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.