Advice on AG Composites order

Aklineman

I"m looking at the Alpine hunter. I have an AnTi action in 300win mag and a Proof carbon prefit barrel. Triggertech trigger.
I have Berger 215 hybrids. I haven't reloaded yet but I have a Co-ax and a good buddy that's going to coach me.
What bottom metal do I get? Im right handed so left side QD cups? Pic rail for a bipod or is there a better option?

Last edited:
You have to ask yourself if you want a mag box, or not. In my opinion if it's going to be a hunting rifle I personally prefer a hinge floor plate. I have rifles with both, and hunt with them. Main reason why I prefer the floor plate is 1 I prefer to pack my rifle and not have to worry about the box accidently falling out. Is it going to happen probably not. 2 they are cleaner, less bulk, less dirt and other factors entering the chamber or potentially disrupting the feeding cycle. 3 easy to carry and more comfortable when packing your rifle in your hand or with a pack on. Mag boxes are not as comfortable to hold onto when carrying the rifle, and get hung up occasionally while using a pack. In my opinion.
Depending on your shooting style I like a pic rail and bipod, I hunt mountains, and prairies, but never have any desire to carry a tripod. So that is what I personally prefer. Q cups are nice to have but if you walk an along ways being able to sling your rifle from shoulder to shoulder without it feeling awkward is a bonus. You just need to ask yourself what type of shooting / hunting that you do and what is the easiest solution to make it happen. Eliminating things you don't truly need speeds up the shooting process, and also saves on the "weight factor". Every once counts in the mountains and you just need to compair functionality to weight for what you are choosing to do. Good luck, and keep hammering.

I will be using it for mountain hunting. I never thought about switching shoulders. I do that on long hikes. Thanks for your input. I will probably go with the Hawkins Oberndorf with Wyatts extended box. I would like a flush mount DBM with the option to increase the capacity with an extended mag but im not aware of a way to accomplish that.

I will be using it for mountain hunting. I never thought about switching shoulders. I do that on long hikes. Thanks for your input. I will probably go with the Hawkins Oberndorf with Wyatts extended box. I would like a flush mount DBM with the option to increase the capacity with an extended mag but im not aware of a way to accomplish that.
The Hawkins hunter DBM will accomplish 95% of what you are wanting to do. While not completely flush, it's very close. Plus you can use M5 mags if you want additional capacity.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are well on your way into the wonderful rabbit holes we love to live in. Agree with Mike D. Hunter DBM kind of gives you the best of both worlds. Extra mags are pricey, but worth it IMO. The chances of losing a mag while hunting with their release design is small.

Blind magazine = no bottom metal

This will save a few ounces too.

Not for everyone, just throwing it out there...
I was going to do this on a GAP build i did about 10yrs ago and they talked me into hinged floorplate. Not a huge deal but wish I had done blind magazine to save weight. Surprised more dedicated hunting rifles don't do blind / ADL style magazines. Curious as to why doing this isn't more popular?

I hate my hawkins DBM bottom metal on my switch lug.
GS liked functionality better but I'd rather loose one in the mag than have what I have.
Flush DBM or none at all. My .002

I was going to do this on a GAP build i did about 10yrs ago and they talked me into hinged floorplate. Not a huge deal but wish I had done blind magazine to save weight. Surprised more dedicated hunting rifles don't do blind / ADL style magazines. Curious as to why doing this isn't more popular?
They are more of a pain to load and unload and more chance to have a negligent discharge. And bullet setback could be an issue cycling to unload.

Ive hunted 30 years with several types of DBM and never had one become dislodged while in the field. I also make sure I a backup conveniently available. All my current hunting rifles have the Hawkins detachable box. Albeit, having said that I have a hunting friend who did leave his box mag 800 miles behind at home, he had no backup!