Thinning the herd

At 64, I've started working toward and equal distribution outcome. I have 2 son in laws and 2 grandsons.. all hunt. The plan is to have an even amount of equal value firearms. They can flip a coin or sort them out however they want, but none of them will get hosed. I don't want any of them to be able to say to the other "you got the good stuff"
Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish this before my time comes and all of them get a nice firearm from me that will stand the test of time.
Although the 280AI I'm currently building may tip the scales 😂

I told my wife if I die before her to get someone who knows what they are doing and sell my stuff. My son in law is a hunter but not terribly serious about shooting. I have two nephews who are shooters but mostly pistols and ARs. A far bigger PIA for my wife will be what to do with my taxidermy collection. Between two houses, I have nearly 100 mounts including some life size. I also have two leopard mounts and a set of elephant tusks that cannot be sold due to being CITIES animals; I sure wouldn't want her getting into trouble selling them.

Sometimes something dramatic has to happen before we rethink our position in life and other important things.

My buddy and I shot together at our club for a number of years before he got seriously ill. In the last year, I'd bring him to the club every week right up until it became impossible. Sadly, he passed away just recently.

My buddy was a life-long shooter/hunter/collector of firearms. He had a number of very fine firearms, some of which were rarely shot and others that are still new-in-the-box. At his wake, I advised his son, who lived out of state, that he needed to immediately address the issue of all the handguns that were in the house with his mother, who was not licensed to possess them. Here in NY, the issue of handgun possession is a complicated matter and confiscation is common.

None of my buddy's family members own or are interested in firearms. Everything will likely be disposed of in some manner. There was plenty of time for my buddy to "thin down the herd" but no one wants to think about that. Many avid shooters probably pass away with large collections and leave their heirs to handle things that they aren't equipped to do.

Now that I've had plenty of time to think about all of this, I've come to recognize that I'm aging out of hunting to the extent that I have done in the past. No more frozen Snow Goose hunts, probably won't be climbing mountains or hiking for miles, not looking to hunt dangerous game, and won't be chasing dogs after elusive game animals. I'll probably always hunt and shoot but I'll be doing things at a more gentleman like pace.

I have also decided to not make the mistake that my buddy did and to not leave a wealth of firearms for my wife to deal with when the Lord calls me. Yup - I have started to "thin the herd". I went into the safe and pulled out several Safe Queens. As much as I loved those guns, I started to sell them. I've been working with the owner of my LGS, whom I've known for 35 years. The logistics of selling and shipping is much easier when you can work with an FFL licensed dealer. Yeah - I'll receive less money in the end but the convenience to have him do all the work/paperwork is worth it to me. I think I'll reduce the number down to just the firearms that I use all the time and let the rest go. No more need for all the heavy magnum rifles.

So for you older LRH members - have you considered "thinning the herd"? When is the right time?

And for anyone wondering - no, I'm not checking out 🤣 I'm just facing the reality of the aging process.
Great life lesson, I just 'thinned the herd' last week, sold a 'safe queen' vintage .357 magnum pistol that I didn't enjoy shooting anymore.

I told my wife if I die before her to get someone who knows what they are doing and sell my stuff. My son in law is a hunter but not terribly serious about shooting. I have two nephews who are shooters but mostly pistols and ARs. A far bigger PIA for my wife will be what to do with my taxidermy collection. Between two houses, I have nearly 100 mounts including some life size. I also have two leopard mounts and a set of elephant tusks that cannot be sold due to being CITIES animals; I sure wouldn't want her getting into trouble selling them.
Perhaps take some advice here ( I actually for once took my own advice) Catalogue your fine collections and price everything accordingly in a book for your wife....even to the point of post- it notes on things locked away or on the back of your mounts....too many crooks out there to con your family! At least she will have a reference to start!

Whew…cancer. Lame 5000.

My Dad has been in the hospital now for 40 days straight. 3 visits to ICU…where he is staying now. Awful. I'm visiting…again to help my folks through…this tough patch in ICU.

My father is still very cognizant. He keeps apologizing for leaving my mom and I with a lot to sort through. While my wife and I have been working on my parents for the last five years to move closer to me, he wanted to die in his kingdom two states away. I get it…he built his own paradise. Who would want to give that up?

So this goes back to the OP's original thread…word to the wise.
Sorry buddy for what you and your family are going through

Whew…cancer. Lame 5000.

My Dad has been in the hospital now for 40 days straight. 3 visits to ICU…where he is staying now. Awful. I'm visiting…again to help my folks through…this tough patch in ICU.

My father is still very cognizant. He keeps apologizing for leaving my mom and I with a lot to sort through. While my wife and I have been working on my parents for the last five years to move closer to me, he wanted to die in his kingdom two states away. I get it…he built his own paradise. Who would want to give that up?

Man that's a rough one. Sorry to hear, thoughts and prayers for you to keep strong.

Gave away lots of rifles, then started acquiring more, mostly varmint calibers, .204 and .223. Have plans for these, so i'm OK. I'm certain, though, that my daughter, SIL, and GD, won't really appreciate what they have. Two of those are APS rifles, one, a K-rifle, still in the build. Never know though.

Kid who was best friends with my daughter, in our house prob more than his, is a hunting and shooting fanatic, though, and will appreciate the random Dakota and Sako.

Funny conversation a couple of years ago with a realtor in Madison, where we had rented a huge cabin. So this is your daughter's friend, but they're not married, yet he's staying with you? And his parents are coming in tomorrow? Yep. (I had been running rivers with them for 30 years.) Rolling eyes. Some folks just don't understand the phrase, "They'll do the ride the river with".

Whew…cancer. Lame 5000.

Cancer is lame!! Sorry to hear that.