Thinking about a new rifle/build..some help please

catorres1

I am just starting to consider a new rifle and I wanted to get some opinions to consider on a few points.

The first is whether or not it is worth paying the extra 200 or so for stainless if I plan to cerekote? One person recommended doing that so that the bore would be protected, but I wonder if that is really necessary?

The second concerns caliber. I am thinking of something to use for anything in NA, pronghorn to Brownies if necessary, but mainly deer, pigs, Elk etc.

Right now, a 300 win mag is where I am leaning. I lean that way over a 7mm because I want the heavier bullets for the bigger animals. And over a WSM because I find it much easier to find 300 WM ammo, and imagine in out of the way places, it will be more common, just in case.

At the moment, my plan is to get this built or bought off of a Weatherby Vangard. I like the actions, my son's shoots and feels better than either of my Winchesters, and I really want an accuracy guarantee after a few expensive disappointments lately. That way, if there are problems, it just goes back, rather than me piling money into a gunsmith who is trying to figure it out, and then maybe comes to 'new barrel' because the gun won't shoot under MOA without one.

I have also looked at the Tikka's and Sako's, but due to my build, Weatherby stocks really do fit me better, though some of the more expensive Sako's would work, but are out of my price range.

The question will be whether to just get a backcountry, or do the mods I want to an S2. In that case, I would forgo the fluted barrel, and just have Weatherby install the backcountry stock and then have someone locally ceracote it. That would probably save me $300 off the retail price of the backcountry, but if I could find backcountry at 1k or 1100, that would be a better way to go.

Anyway, these are just beginning thoughts, so your own thoughts are appreciated!

I am just starting to consider a new rifle and I wanted to get some opinions to consider on a few points.

The first is whether or not it is worth paying the extra 200 or so for stainless if I plan to cerekote? One person recommended doing that so that the bore would be protected, but I wonder if that is really necessary?

The second concerns caliber. I am thinking of something to use for anything in NA, pronghorn to Brownies if necessary, but mainly deer, pigs, Elk etc.

Right now, a 300 win mag is where I am leaning. I lean that way over a 7mm because I want the heavier bullets for the bigger animals. And over a WSM because I find it much easier to find 300 WM ammo, and imagine in out of the way places, it will be more common, just in case.

At the moment, my plan is to get this built or bought off of a Weatherby Vangard. I like the actions, my son's shoots and feels better than either of my Winchesters, and I really want an accuracy guarantee after a few expensive disappointments lately. That way, if there are problems, it just goes back, rather than me piling money into a gunsmith who is trying to figure it out, and then maybe comes to 'new barrel' because the gun won't shoot under MOA without one.

I have also looked at the Tikka's and Sako's, but due to my build, Weatherby stocks really do fit me better, though some of the more expensive Sako's would work, but are out of my price range.

The question will be whether to just get a backcountry, or do the mods I want to an S2. In that case, I would forgo the fluted barrel, and just have Weatherby install the backcountry stock and then have someone locally ceracote it. That would probably save me $300 off the retail price of the backcountry, but if I could find backcountry at 1k or 1100, that would be a better way to go.

Anyway, these are just beginning thoughts, so your own thoughts are appreciated!
If you have the extra $200 to spend, I'd go for stainless.

I've killed lots of pigs and tons of deer with 7mm's (7mm-08, 7mm RM, 7mm STW).....Never had a problem. And I wasn't even using really heavy bullets eiether (mostly 140-160gr bullets).

Why don't you look to the 7mm STW. With a 26"-28" 1:9 twist barrel, it sounds like it would suit your needs just fine, especially with some 180 Berger Hyrbids in it.

Or even a regular old 7mm RemMag with a 26" 1:9 twist barrel should do the trick for anything in North America inside of 1,000 yards.

Nothing wrong with the .300 WM either. Just pointing out that I've found 7mm's are the perfect all-around bullet.

You do realize that if you remove the factory barrel off a rifle, the accuracy guarantee goes out the window, right?

Thanks for the reply!

I definitely go back and forth on the 7mm. STW is out of the question for various reasons, not least because, as you mention, a rebarrel would be in order, an expense I am trying to avoid, plus, of course there would be no accuracy guarantee. So my list of possible chamberings is limited. But in case I was unclear, I am not planning on doing a custom barrel etc...even the stock I have put on will be done by Weatherby (at extra expense), so as to preserve the accuracy guarantee.

The 300 is top of my list because I want something well suited to taking even the large bears, if I ever get a chance to go there. I know a 338 or 375 would be better for that particular job, but I would prefer less recoil and plan to do some long range steel shooting etc.

On the 7mm, what I like is that it has a great selection of bullets, but recoils less than the 300. Still, I am used to shooting a 375, so I think both will feel pretty nice in comparison, especially considering my 375 weighs close to what my proposed rifle will (it's pretty light for 375).

With that list I'd say find a Weatherby Accumark in 300wm or 7mm STW and then when you get it in have someone bed it and make sure you're free floated.

The other option would be to look at the Montana Rifles 1999 rifles in the same calibers but have it put in either an M40 stock, McMillan Hunter, or Precision Stockworks Rifle stock.

Yes, it's very much worth the extra bucks to go stainless.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I have not looked at Montana Rifles, I'll check them out. As for the accumark, I looked at one, and they are nice rifles. But the one I checked out was too heavy for my needs, IIRC. I am looking for a rifle (alone) that comes in around 7 pounds max. With scope, bases and rings, I think that should put me at about 8.5 lbs. I would go 9lbs all up as a max, but no more than that.

Then there is the cost. Sitting here, I have been working the numbers (don't know yet what I could get the SS for so I'll use a blued model)...I could get a vgd S2, have Weatherby swap out the stock with a custom LOP and bed it for another $400, then even cerecote it for another 200 or so. All up, I'd have about $1100 in it. Retail on a backcountry is 1399, hopefully I could find one cheaper, but they are really unavailable. Weatherby tells me they are selling them so fast that they are almost a custom order at this point.

There is a used one at Cabelas right now for 1k, but I have to think someone moved it on for a reason...ie it won't shoot. So not sure I want to bite on that. I know I could send it back to Weatherby if that is the case, but after my recent experiences, I just don't want to take the risk on a used gun that I know nothing about.

Actually, with a LA receiver, and a factory 7mm RemMag barrel, you can build a 7mm STW for VERY cheap. All you would have to do is have a gunsmith open the chamber up to 7mm STW with a reamer, and set the headspacing, and you're done. Simple, quick, and cheap.

And you can find factory 7mm RemMags or 7mm Wby Mag rifles everywhere. Either one of them can be opened up to a 7mm STW chamber.

Excellent choice of chamberings, I have both .300 Win Mag (two) and a .300 WSM. Load them 210/215 Bergers for elk size game and you're golden. As you noted, there are better suited chamberings out there for the big browns but 200 Partition/220 semi-spritzer or similar should do the trick. As always, shot placement and enough energy to humanely harvest the game is instrumental.

The 300 is top of my list because I want something well suited to taking even the large bears, if I ever get a chance to go there. I know a 338 or 375 would be better for that particular job, but I would prefer less recoil and plan to do some long range steel shooting etc.

Although I prefer the .300 Win Mag, the .300 WSM is no slouch ... check this out >>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for all the input and ideas. I do handload so it sounds like a 300 win mag would be a good choice. I am heavily leaning on the accuracy guarantee to hopefully avoid my current predicament or have a free recourse, so I don't want to change anything that would void that.

By the way, I found a Vanguard Backcountry in 300 today. It is supposedly used but in 'new' condition, it's $1k.

Basically, it if I were to buy a new blued vanguard and have Weatherby put the back country stock on it and then cerakote it (ie, all the same as the back country sans the fluted barrel), the one I found would still be about $100 less, and about 400 less than retail. Course, generally, no one pays retail. I have seen them advertised (but not in stock) for about $150 above what I would pay, but actually finding a new one...not possible right now.

Another thing that makes me pause is I did see one review online where they could not get MOA out of the back country, another where it just barely made it with factory ammo. I am wondering if fluting the barrel makes things worse, or was this just a bad couple of samples.

Either way, new gun or used, Weatherby said it is still guaranteed to shoot sub MOA, and they would tell me what ammo they find works if I wanted to test.

Thoughts on this particular rifle?

Thanks again for all the input and ideas. I do handload so it sounds like a 300 win mag would be a good choice. I am heavily leaning on the accuracy guarantee to hopefully avoid my current predicament or have a free recourse, so I don't want to change anything that would void that.

By the way, I found a Vanguard Backcountry in 300 today. It is supposedly used but in 'new' condition, it's $1k.

Basically, it if I were to buy a new blued vanguard and have Weatherby put the back country stock on it and then cerakote it (ie, all the same as the back country sans the fluted barrel), the one I found would still be about $100 less, and about 400 less than retail. Course, generally, no one pays retail. I have seen them advertised (but not in stock) for about $150 above what I would pay, but actually finding a new one...not possible right now.

Another thing that makes me pause is I did see one review online where they could not get MOA out of the back country, another where it just barely made it with factory ammo. I am wondering if fluting the barrel makes things worse, or was this just a bad couple of samples.

Either way, new gun or used, Weatherby said it is still guaranteed to shoot sub MOA, and they would tell me what ammo they find works if I wanted to test.

Thoughts on this particular rifle?
Fluting is not the problem. Both Accumarks and Senderos come fluted from the factory and the Rem Sendero is amongst the most accurate out of the box factory rifles on the market. The Accumark is a factory rile too but really it's a semi custom.

In general it's rare to find a factory rifle that will give you MOA or better performance without accurizing whether you are shooting factory ammo or handloading.

The above is the main reason custom gun builders came into being and continue to make a very good living if they put out a quality rifle.

26" stainless barrel, .300 Winchester, 215 Berger, Defensive Edge muzzle brake, long magazine, stock of your liking.

I've been burned here and there, but I've also had some outstanding firearms built for me. A lot of reputable folks guaranteeing half MOA.

I wasn't sure reading your initial post the $1000 dollars was just what you were looking at or a limit that couldn't be exceeded. Sorry if I went over budget.

Harper,

Thanks for the advice, as for cost, I am trying to stay in the 1k range, but would pay more if necessary. I'd just have to wait a while to get there.

The rifle I have right now has probably, $1500 or more in it much of which I will likely loose I assume when I sell it.

What would something like you have describe generally go for and who are some builders you would recommend?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.