Thinking of new build

saw

Ok I just purchased a new Rem 700 ADL 7MM Mag. I bought it for the action mainly. So I have a Long Action with a Mag Bolt. I am looking for a gun to hunt Elk and Deer (never hunted Elk). So any recomendations on caliber. Or do I tru the action and Barrel and put on a new stock and call it good?

The 7 mag is a great deer/elk rifle. Unless you know you are going to be hunting elk at extended ranges, say over 600 - 700 yards, the 7 mag might serve you well. You need to determine if you are looking for a dedicated long range rig or one that be carried for general hunting and be capable of the long range shot when it comes.

All that aside though. I would shoot the rifle as is and get a good baseline on its accuracy. This way you will be able to gauge results of truing, stock, etc. The rifle might just shoot great as is.

Ok I just purchased a new Rem 700 ADL 7MM Mag. I bought it for the action mainly. So I have a Long Action with a Mag Bolt. I am looking for a gun to hunt Elk and Deer (never hunted Elk). So any recomendations on caliber. Or do I tru the action and Barrel and put on a new stock and call it good?

If you are planning on swapping the stock regardless of which direction you go with it, I'd go ahead and drop it into whatever stock you were planning on getting for your build, bed it, float it, swap the trigger with a Timney or Jewell, and do some load development and see if she'll shoot...It's worth a try, right?

I'm guessing it has the 9.25" twist, so I'd stick with the Berger 168 VLD's for now, just to see if you got a shooter. Use some new brass that will form to that chamber (I recommend Nosler). As far as powder, anything Reloder 22 or slower should work. I use 7828 SSC in mine. But the new 7977 will also work great, as well as Reloder 25 and H1000.

Also remember, that is a cold hammer-forged barrel, so it will take 50 rounds or so to really get broke-in good. Make sure you really scrub the bore good before the break-in and make sure it's as clean as it's going to get. Another helpful option would to load up 50 of the Tubbs Final Finish bullets, and shoot them in the correct order, and fire-lap the bore taking all the factory tooling marks out. You can break-in, and lap the bore at the same time. I have been told those bullets do improve accuracy, and when you smooth out the bore, you might even gain a little bit of velocity.

Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System 284 Cal 7mm

If that barrel will shoot good, the Berger 180 Hybrids should stabilize in your barrel if you have the 9.25" twist, and I would work up a load for those, since you added Elk in the mix of potential game. For deer, the 168's work fine, but the 180's would also work good.

I would decide what level of accuracy you're after and make a plan from there. Most 700 sporters will shoot MOA or less with handloads, but few will shoot 1/2 MOA. You can spend weeks trying to find a good load, and a few hundred bucks in components and fuel, and still not be shooting much better than 1 MOA. If you're looking for a 1/2 MOA gun I would put those resources toward a new barrel.

Regarding caliber I agree with Barrelnut. Keep it a 7 mag unless you want to frequently pursue elk at ranges beyond 500 yards, in which case I'd step up to a 300 mag or 338 RUM.

The 7mm is an awesome cartridge. I sold mine to my son-in-law & I have watched him make some amazing shots. I lean towards the 300 win mag & really don't feel the need for ultra mags. If I was to go to a bigger cartridge it would be the 338 Edge.
Thanks, Kirk

Excellent Guys, Thanks for the info. Im going to keep it a 7mm Mag and just see what it can do.

Float it, bed it, shoot it, find a load that works. If it won't shoot well enough to suit you put it in a better stock.

7mm is plenty for deer and elk if you can put it where it belongs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.