New Guy, New build, couple of questions

Jeffrthehunter

First a quick thank you to the forum members, lots of great information here that seems to have got me in the right direction.
I little about me. I have hunted Oregon, Washington, California, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. Lots of rifle kills with a couple at the 450 yard range. Machinist by trade but my gunsmith skills and reloading skills are intermediate at best.
Just purchased the following gear to put a long distance hunting gun together, trying to get to at least the 800 yard range, I do understand I need lots of practice (my gun club has a 600 yard range).
I have purchased the following: Remington 700 5R Gen 2 in .300 Win Mag, Leupold VX6 4-24 X 52mm (34MM tube, T-MOA retical) with Mark 4 rings, Gen II Little Bastard Brake, Timney 510 trigger.

So here are a couple questions I am hoping someone may have the answers to.

The only Mark 4 rings available in 34mm are the "high" model. When I use a Talley one piece 20 MOA base there is close to a half inch of barrel to scope clearance (way to high in my opinion). Looks like all one piece bases are built thicker for shell clearance (i am guessing). What are my options? Is there a thin built one or two piece base with at least 10 MOA that will work? I can not return the rings so I am hoping a different base will be the fix.

After looking at many threads and videos it looks like the number one bullet for long range in the 30 cal is the VDL 215 grain. I am a little worried about recoil, should I start with a lighter round or just jump in with both feet shooting the VDL?

Can i put the "X" Mark Pro trigger that I remove from my new rifle onto an older Remington 700 SS?

Thank you for reading this thread, any information would be greatly appreciated.

First a quick thank you to the forum members, lots of great information here that seems to have got me in the right direction.
I little about me. I have hunted Oregon, Washington, California, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. Lots of rifle kills with a couple at the 450 yard range. Machinist by trade but my gunsmith skills and reloading skills are intermediate at best.
Just purchased the following gear to put a long distance hunting gun together, trying to get to at least the 800 yard range, I do understand I need lots of practice (my gun club has a 600 yard range).
I have purchased the following: Remington 700 5R Gen 2 in .300 Win Mag, Leupold VX6 4-24 X 52mm (34MM tube, T-MOA retical) with Mark 4 rings, Gen II Little Bastard Brake, Timney 510 trigger.

So here are a couple questions I am hoping someone may have the answers to.

The only Mark 4 rings available in 34mm are the "high" model. When I use a Talley one piece 20 MOA base there is close to a half inch of barrel to scope clearance (way to high in my opinion). Looks like all one piece bases are built thicker for shell clearance (i am guessing). What are my options? Is there a thin built one or two piece base with at least 10 MOA that will work? I can not return the rings so I am hoping a different base will be the fix.

After looking at many threads and videos it looks like the number one bullet for long range in the 30 cal is the VDL 215 grain. I am a little worried about recoil, should I start with a lighter round or just jump in with both feet shooting the VDL?

Can i put the "X" Mark Pro trigger that I remove from my new rifle onto an older Remington 700 SS?

Thank you for reading this thread, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Recoil wont be an issue with that brake on it. Run the 215. Get rings from another manufacturer, i'm not real big on Leupold rings anyway. All 20 MOA bases are thicker for the slope required. IDK on the Mark X but everyone seems to hate them anyway.

the older triggers are easily adjusted. 99 % come in real nice. google Remington crisp. x mark, we have several, only one was close to decent.

Jeff, use the Custom Search top right. Find the "Broz" threads on the 215 Berger loads, there is a ton of info on that load for your 300WM. The 215 is a hybrid bullet, also good info for the 230 Berger which is considered ultimate long range. Good luck

Last edited:
Consider using a a different brand of rings to get your scope lower. You can run it higher and it won't really hurt anything. It just might be a little uncomfortable.

A lot of people are liking the 215 Hybrid Berger. So far I haven't been able to get my rifle to like them yet. For now I'm shooting the 210 gr VLD Berger with H1000.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the reply's. I need to try and use the Leupold Mark 4 rings, they cost me well over $100 bucks and I can not return them. I just need to find a thinner 10 or 20 MOA base. From all I can figure there is no reason a 20 MOA needs to be thick for the angle (20 MOA over 6" is only .035"), there must be a manufacture making them thinner than Talley. I do know that Nightforce makes a two piece 20 MOA just not sure how tall?

Okay, check out the Seekins scope base/rail. It might be thinner than the Talley. I don't think a two piece base is going to necessarily be thinner.

Just wanted to thank everyone for there thoughts and give a quick update.

Ended up running a Seekins 20 moa one piece base with Seekins rings low (.920" center-line height), this gave me a .250" gap to barrel. Installed a Timney 510 set at 2.0 lbs (BTW, great trigger), I could not get the factory trigger below 3.5 and it was very inconsistent.

After getting through barrel break in I started load testing the 215 Berger's with 79 grains of Retumbo. Rifle is a good shooter as almost all the groups have been sub MOA, last outing average was .800" MOA.

Thanks again for all the info! Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.