Thinking about a 6.5x284

Good choice! I have been long range hunting with the 6.5x284 just about exclusively for over a dozen years. Using high BC bullets 140-156gr)bullets in the 2950-3050FPS range I have taken dozens of game animal/varmints to 1188 yards. Most DRT. The big bodied Alberta Mule Deer and Whitetails are dropped as effectively at the longer ranges with this cartridge as those shot with my larger caliber magnums. I'm not an Elk or Moose hunter, and do not have a lot of direct experience, but I have observed these animals on several occasions being taken cleanly with the 6.5x284 at 500-700 yards. Accuracy and consistency is bench-rest grade, with lunch time PD's shot out to 1000 yards, coyotes further… most all, ….first round hits. Light recoil in lighter weight rifles serve both carry and stationary hunting with equal ease. It's easy to load, and using the superb Lapua and Norma brass, availability has never been an issue. Same goes for the wide selection of bullet selections which has exploded in recent years due to the popularity of the 6.5. The introduction of the heavy high BC bullets like the Berger 156 EOL extends the 6.5x284's performance/ballistics for 1700FPS/1000FPE to 1200 yards. While available factory ammo has never been an attribute of the 6.5x284, IMO, even with the available derivatives(ie.6.5PRC) that offer factory ammo, IMO, the LR potential of the factory offerings may be shortchanged when compared to well designed handloads.
I will readily admit that I'm quite biased towards 6.5x284 …..Largely due to the long term hunting success I've had with this cartridge

The 6.5x284 was darling of Fclass for years, early on. Setting numerous records.

As a hunting cartridge it ain't no slouch! Makes good velocity with the 130-140 class bullets and stupid accurate.

Brass is usually easy to come by.

It's a great round. Numerous brass options. Flat shooting. I just finished my second one 2 weeks ago. Just do it and don't look back. Killed numerous Coues bucks over 500 and 600 yards with them. Pic below is the one I just finished.

CC3395CF-75D0-4E57-A88B-B91C2DDC8170.jpeg

Have one (Fierce Edge). Love it. Accurate and nice fit between 30 Cal's and 243/6mm guns. Other similar calibers can do the same but its a nice round.

A few years back I had a friend turn a shot-out 257 Roberts (long action) into the 6.5x284 and I haven't looked back. I am a western hunter so mule deer/antelope/sheep/elk are my thing with this rig as well. Mine is also "stupid accurate" with 124g Hammer Hunters at 3200fps. I'm very happy with mine!

I have 2 as well, one LA and the other a SA. The LA is a Savage 111 with a 24" barrel and shoots the 143grELDX at 2960 and the 140gr Speer Gold Dot at 3000. Iv'e only taken mule deer with it and it's performed excellent. The SA is currrently being finished, it has a Xcaliber barrel from Crown Ridge and will have a max OAL of 2.980. IMO, a hot rodded 6.5cm and a downloaded 6.5x284 might be in the same neighborhood but at their peak, they are different animals. Many elk have been taken with 270's and 130gr bullets, I don't see any reason that the 6.5x284 wouldn't be fine for elk with the proper bullet and at suitable ranges.
I'm a 6.5 cal advocate, but if I was going on a expensive elk hunt I would probably want too shoot a bullet heavier than a 140 class bullet , it's hard too have one gun does it all. If I were you I would build it with a WTOSwitch lug and that will give you a future option of another barrel for the same rifle let say 6.5 prc and 300wsm mag bolt face or 6.5 - 284 and 284 win or 6.5 -284 and 280 AI . Might be something too consider.

It is one of my favorite cartridges for hunting. I have killed Mule Deer, Antelope, Kudu, Impala, Warthogs, Nyala, Coyotes etc with mine utilizing a 140 Grain Berger right at 2800 FPS. Shoots into one hole. Components can still be found, at least along the same lines as everything else these days. Not much recoil to deal with. Its just a great cartridge. Good luck with our Quest.

Great caliber but very limited in availability of ammo etc.

Personally I prefer the .264wm which is an awesome round overall especially with modern powders.

The 6.5-300wm has proven to be a great wildcat.

The 6.5PRC is standardized and there's endless availability of ammo and components.

I shoot the .260Rem, .264wm, and a 6.5LRM that is a screamer.

My next 6.5 though will be a 6.5-375Ruger.
Wild rose you say great cal bul limited ammo, where in the heck are you going too find 6.5-375 Ruger ammo ,that sounds funny too me . Just kidding with you ,if you build either one of those you better get your reloading hat on

DON'T, you can equal it or surpass it with ease, far less anxiety and availability of components..a time tested 6 5/06 will handle everything for basically nothing comparatively speaking..

Wow.............this is the first reply that I have read on this forum in reference to the 6.5-06!! I consider myself, and....I also have been referred to as "ole school", however I am also a common sense person. I get that there's the Creedmoor crowd on here, it is an "okay" cartridge, however once one gets past the marketing hype it is not all that great compared to some of the "ole school" cartridges. A few years back I was going to do a build and was considering the 6.5-06, however after more deliberation I ended up building a .270 Ackley Improved. I am also a fan of the 25-06, .280 Ackley Improved, 338-06 and my favorite the 35 Whelen. The latest and the greatest capitalistic hype cartridge is the 6.8 Western, and it is the latest and greatest because all of the gun writers and gun magazines are touting the round. The .270 WSM will outperform the 6.8 Western any day of the week, yet now....the Western is the go to round. But....we'll get the selling factor on the 6.5-.284 is that the round will fit into a short action and save weight. In my opinion the amount of weight saved between a short actioned rifle and a long actioned rifle is discernible in a hunting rifle.

Thats nice! Tell me the details on it.

That's a Defiance Tenacity long action but branded under RaggedHole Barrels action name called a "Hell Betty". They have Defiance build their actions only difference on this from the normal Tenacity is the bolt has a more defined and deeper fluting. 8 twist 24" #4 Wilson Select Match fluted barrel, Redhawk Rifles BDL floor plate with Wyatts Box. Stock is HS Precision, TriggerTech Primary, Meraki Machine brake. Scope is a Sightron 6-24 SIII all Japanese made (very impressed with this scope) with Warne MountainTech rings. I assembled all and bedded the action. Total cost for parts, optics, and cerakote work $3240. I may change the stock in the future for some weight reduction. Comes in right at 9lbs with scope and no bipod. If you zoom in on the below picture you can see how the bolt fluting is differ from the normal Tenacity.
698FC8B9-E2B4-444C-96FC-4CF51A430E55.jpeg

Last edited: