Thing about the future 6.5-06AI

So, I'm thinking about a future hunting rifle. It will have a CIP length bottom metal. (Bighorn Origin) long action.

Basically, I'm planning a build around 6.5-06AI. The idea is to launch 143 ELD-X around 3100 fps or the Berger 156 EOL's slightly slower from a 24" barrel.

First assumption, I'd like to use Lapua 30'06 and run it through a couple of bushings in a bushing die to get to 6.5-06 AI. I think the neck walls will be thick, but consistent....wonder how the thick necks will fit in the chamber?

Second, the velocity assumption above....can the 06 case do this or do I need to use the 280ai case. The Sherman is said to push 140's at 3300fps at 26". That's a bit fast to me.

Third, freebore to be set based on the boat tail being even with the base of the neck when touching lands with 143gr ELDX bullet....either with the reamer or with a custom throat.

Forth, I assume I can get Redding to make a type S FL die and a siding chamber micrometer seater...I'm not seeing that exactly in their catalog....hmmm.

Lots of assumptions....is this gonna work out?
I would look at the 280AI cases dimensions. It's a little longer to the shoulder than the 06 AI. So a little more powder can be added if needed. I presently having 6mm-280AI being built. Max bullet in that is about 115gr. You are looking at 140gr bullets. Slower powders will take more room to achieve velocity. Yo can always reduce the powder load too.

First off, I have nothing against the 6.5-06 Ackley and I think it's a great cartridge. Having said that, I like to keep things simple and straight forward. If you're starting off with a new action and new build, I would consider doing a magnum bolt. I would honestly look towards the .264 Win Mag. You can use Peterson or ADG 7mm Rem Mag brass and neck it down in one pass and be done. Both of those brass options are equal to Lapua in quality and durability. That cartridge will run 3100fps easily with the 143gr bullets. It's an older cartridge but it's a good one. There's not much that is as easy to do that will offer that level of performance. Other options would be the 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 PRC. Both of those should be able to achieve your goals with RL26.

Having said that, if you're really into the 6.5-06 AI, then there's a few things to consider. I would start out with a set of dies and size your brass down the way you described. You'll need to measure your neck diameter with a bullet seated. If you don't want to neck turn then you'll need to order a custom reamer to fit your neck diameter and the freebore you want. This can be done. As far as Redding making you custom dies, it would be best to call and ask them.
Vote for 264 win mag.

Hello, I hope I can add something simpler to this conversation. Get in touch with Elkaholic. Mr. Sherman makes what you want, and I have it. Called the 6.5 Sherman its the .280 Ackley Improved case with the shoulder moved forward and necked down (easily) in one pass to 6.5. Richard Sherman has specs, rental reamers and dies. Everything you need, and the performance I get with mine with 143 gr. ELDX bullets seemingly violates known rules of physics in terms of fat trajectory and wind resistance here at 6,500 feet in the Rockies.

I have one and regularly load for it.. If you neck down .270 you will have to trim a good bit.. Neck up a .25-06 case and load and fire, just that easy.. With my reamer which is NOT a turn neck will not accept .30-06 necked down without turning..

I use a Redding .280 Ackley bushing die.. Use the appropriate bushing to size for the .6.5 and you're golden.

Right now, with R22 and a 130 NAB I'm running at 3,100+ and brass lasts a long time.. Don't think there's any way I could get 3,300 with a 140 although I have no H1000 to check.. With the 120NBT I run at 3,250fps. Either of these two loads work very well on deer, antelope, pigs, etc.. I've killed quite a bit of game..
Any different than a .270 or .25-06? No.. But still a darn fine set up..

So, I'm thinking about a future hunting rifle. It will have a CIP length bottom metal. (Bighorn Origin) long action.

Basically, I'm planning a build around 6.5-06AI. The idea is to launch 143 ELD-X around 3100 fps or the Berger 156 EOL's slightly slower from a 24" barrel.

First assumption, I'd like to use Lapua 30'06 and run it through a couple of bushings in a bushing die to get to 6.5-06 AI. I think the neck walls will be thick, but consistent....wonder how the thick necks will fit in the chamber?

Second, the velocity assumption above....can the 06 case do this or do I need to use the 280ai case. The Sherman is said to push 140's at 3300fps at 26". That's a bit fast to me.

Third, freebore to be set based on the boat tail being even with the base of the neck when touching lands with 143gr ELDX bullet....either with the reamer or with a custom throat.

Forth, I assume I can get Redding to make a type S FL die and a siding chamber micrometer seater...I'm not seeing that exactly in their catalog....hmmm.

Lots of assumptions....is this gonna work out?
I would suggest using 280AI brass and neck it down , this would save time and give you the most case volume

I don't really know anybody who reloads to save time if thats the case might as well buy factory ammo.
Here's my take on the 6.5x06AI vrs the 6.5x280AI. I won't build a rifle based off one supplier only making the brass and evetytime I have tried to run a rifle at the higher node with Nosler brass PP are junk after 3-4 reloads.
Lapua is about as good a brass as you can get and there's all kinds of 06 brass out there of you get in a pinch.

I'm sure you could be quite confused at this point Only thing I can say is that I made a wild cat 6.5x308 in 1994. All of my brass has been made from 308 necked down. Have never had to turn a case neck. My 6.5X06 brass made from 30-06 , which I have been shooting for years, I have never had to turn a neck. Only thing I check for is OAL. Both of these rifles exhibit excellent accuracy. A shooting friend of mine does the same with his 260 Rem. Turning necks has never been an issue .

If it works, it works. I realize there are some chambers with very tight spec's . Perhasp they require neck turning. My barrels which were made by major brand names have never exhibited any sign of tight necks. There have been many on this forum & other forums who stated they regularly size 308 brass down to 260 with never requiting necks to be turned.

From what I see here there is a debate about neck thickness. Whether sized Lapua brass gives 0.016" or 0.018", that is pretty thick for 6.5mm. I would guess 6.5 PRC or Creed would have a neck of 0.013". How does the thicker neck effect neck tension?

I'm willing to neck turn if required, but would like to know more about neck thickness effect on neck tension.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.