They finally did it!! 6.5 cal 155 grain Berger Elite Hunter!!!

Even if they're a wash in drop and wind, they may have some terminal performance benefits. That sometimes gets overlooked in the these drop and wind stats. They'll have a higher SD than lighter bullets.

Hopefully someone that kills a stack of critters will do that testing for me. Please post pics.

I have shot alot of critters deer and elk with the 140 vld's to know they work, i'm not counting on terminal performance. I just don't see that much gain either way with the 155's

6.5 Still not a 30 Cal. ; Keep going, the bullet will be longer than the case is. It don't even look right!

I am hearing rumor that these are not going to be out as soon as originally thought, but for good reason. Berger may be redesigning the bullet, as the bc isn't up to par compared to the other EOL offerings, and other heavier 6.5 bullets out there.

I can understand this, as several have said, it's not like the 195 7mm EOL or the .277 170 EOL, where it is in a so called league of it's own, with very little that even comes close. As they stand, it is an improvement over most other hunting bullets out there, but the improvement is marginal, and not enough to convince enough shooters to switch or build a rifle just for this bullet. It would probably be somewhat of a flop, and I would also see it as a limitation for Berger. Their EOL line is their top dog, the heaviest, highest bc bullet they produce for every caliber they make. In the .277, they went well beyond the standard twist rate and 20-30 grains heavier than any other long range bullet produced for your "standard". 277 rifle. In the 7mm, they did the same thing, going 15-25ish grains heavier than any long range bullet for standard twist. To make a bullet designed around the limitation of the "standard" twist rate for the 6.5, in my mind anyway, would be cutting the EOL name short. And on a second note, alot of the original 6.5x55's were 1:7 twist anyway.....lets go full circle.

It is going to be hard to stand apart in the 6.5 bullet line up, as there are so many good offerings out there with very good bc. The only way I see them breaking from the crowd is if they make a 155-170 grain bullet that requires a 1:7.5 or 1:7 twist, the route sierra went with their 150, accept even more so. A G7 of .355 or higher, G1 of .695 or higher, would do this I believe. Keep in mind, Berger averages their bc. If you average the bc of the 147 eld-m and 150 Sierra in the way Berger does (apples to apples) you come up with about a .335 G7 and .665 G1 on the 147, and the Sierra 150 G1 comes out to just about .690, and I don't see an advertised G7 from Sierra. That 147 bc is worlds different on paper than the advertised .351 and .697, but hey, thats advertising.

But if Berger really wants to step up on the 6.5 game, and do something like their other EOL bullets that require special twists, they are going to have to get away from the 1:8 twist. Just my opinion, and I hope to hear news from them soon!!

......It is going to be hard to stand apart in the 6.5 bullet line up, as there are so many good offerings out there with very good bc. The only way I see them breaking from the crowd is if they make a 155-170 grain bullet that requires a 1:7.5 or 1:7 twist,

But if Berger really wants to step up on the 6.5 game, and do something like their other EOL bullets that require special twists, they are going to have to get away from the 1:8 twist. Just my opinion, and I hope to hear news from them soon!!

If you do what you've always done, you get what you've always got.

don't understand releasing hunting bullets during hunting season. long range bullets for long range shooters we need some time with them. but better late than never

Ok thanks anyway. Just itching to run these through shooter as I'm setup to run the 6.5 and 338 bullets already and may have a rum imp set up for the 245s by the time they are released.

Could you list bullet lengths and BCs if you have them?

No BC information available just yet on the new bullets. That's what part of the testing process is doing, BC verification, twist rate tests, etc. No firm ETAs yet either, but I'd imagine they will be out with plenty of time to test before hunting season comes around this coming fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.