New Berger .270 cal 170 grain EOL Elite Hunter !

barefooter56

This bullet is designed for maximum external and terminal ballistic performance in 270 caliber rifles. Although this new high BC, heavy-for-caliber bullet is great for long range, it's also an excellent option for hunting at any range. The high sectional density of heavy-for-caliber bullets promotes greater penetration than lighter, faster bullets. If you've been considering the 270 for larger game and are concerned about the penetration potential of conventional options, this bullet is the answer. For more information please see links below!

Introducing: The Berger 270 caliber 170 grain EOL Elite Hunter | Berger Bullets

So basically a waste for most 270 rifles. Cool.

That is a bit harsh. They offer bullets that will stabilize in 10" twist factory rifles. Physics is physics. You can't make bullets heavier without making them longer. Unless you make them round nose or such, which would not be ballisticly efficient.

They are just trying to help guys that want longer bullets because they have faster twist barrels. We do the same thing in our line of bullets. As we develop bullets, our first goal is to make the best thing we can that will work in factory rifles. Then we work on faster twist stuff.

Steve

No offence meant, but you have to admit for all the standard factory 270 winchesters out there that bullet is useless.

No offence meant, but you have to admit for all the standard factory 270 winchesters out there that bullet is useless.

And they are not harmed by this introduction because the other choices for them are still there.
But for someone that wants to build a long range 270, they now have another choice & that's a good thing.

berger does a lot with heavy for caliber bullets and many of them require faster twist barrels and/or heavier magnum chambers that by no means it is a waist . THANK GOD FOR BERGER . KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

So basically a waste for most 270 rifles. Cool.
StabHappy,
We knew going in that this bullet MAY not work in standard .270 Winchester twist rates because its the heaviest bullet that I believe has ever been made for this cartridge. Same went for our 7mm 195 grain EOL bullet. In our minds these two fine calibers have been long under served by bullet manufacturers and kind of "stuck in a rut". With these bullets and the rest of our bullet line we are trying to push the industry envelope in bullet design and in rifle design to use them effectively. The nice thing about a rifle barrel is that its threaded at one end so it can be replaced when its worn out or otherwise. Run the .270 170 EOL over our TWIST RATE CALCULATOR and see what is what for your situation now with your rifle. Dont forget to put in the correct altitude you will be shooting at! Altitude is the biggest friend you have when it comes to lack of twist.
To the rest of you guys . Thanks for the defense! We will keep on pushing the envelope in bullet design so you all have more choices . StabHappy, If you need any help or have any more questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]
You all take care and have a great day!

WOW, can't believe I just read through that. Please Berger, stop making more accurate bullets with better BC's cause my guns twist rate is stuck in the mid 1900's :rolleyes:

Looks like it's time for manufactures to use a faster twist rate in the 270 cals, between the heavy for cal Berger and Matrix bullets we are seeing the need for more twist rate for lead free zones where copper is the choice, time to twist up the 270 just like every other cal has progressed through!!

WOW, can't believe I just read through that. Please Berger, stop making more accurate bullets with better BC's cause my guns twist rate is stuck in the mid 1900's :rolleyes:

Looks like it's time for manufactures to use a faster twist rate in the 270 cals, between the heavy for cal Berger and Matrix bullets we are seeing the need for more twist rate for lead free zones where copper is the choice, time to twist up the 270 just like every other cal has progressed through!!

Amen to that!

I'll tell you what, next time I re-barrel one of my rifles and I think about twist rate you guys will be on my mind. Pushing weapon and ammo design out of the "30-06" era is more than enough reason for me to shut my mouth and thank you for making the investment in our future. With all the info on sites like this trying to find something that will even work for my gear can be challenging. Whether or not my original thought was valid there is a great big wide world out there full of stuff to shoot at, so if you don't mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts