There’s something about a .308 Win and 168 SMKs

Try the ABLR close to the lands. I chased precision with them following internet lore with them seated .050-.100" off the lands and had nothing but frustration. When fireforming for an improved cartridge I seated them to the lands and got one hole groups.

I found amazing accuracy with the 168g Long range accubonds and Sierra Tipped match kings with them seated very close to the lands if not barely touching the lands.

A new vendor is supporting this site, he is selling Norma products. I bought various caliber Tip Strike bullets from him, and their ogive lengths are very, very consistent from from bullet to bullet. I expect the Norma 170g Tip Strike to be extremely accurate. I am going to test them in a new Krieger barrel.

WTG! I agree; it's a keeper. My .308 Win is an AR-10, but I have not loaded for it or stretched beyond 200Y. I do not expect accuracy like yours, but it would still be fun to ring some steel at a distance.
View attachment 565266
You might be surprised. My M1As are fantastic shooters. The one I have in a sage chassis will shoot pretty well at 600.
IMG_0124.jpeg

My best group ever was with a 308 and 168 AMAX over 44.0 IMR 4064. I shot a 5 shot group at .195 at 100 yards. That was with an earlier version of the Remington 5R.
I switched over to 168 ELDM's over 43.5 gr IMR 4064. An old lot of powder that must have dried out over the last twenty years. That charge gets me 2820 fps! Glad I worked my way up.

Here's a sampling of what the Sierra 168 TMK is capable of in my rifle. I used three different powders and they all grouped under 1" at 400yds. Interestingly enough, the rifle is a sporting class rifle that was built for whitetail hunting, and not a LR shooting rig.
Gotta love factory rifles that will print that!

IMR 4064 is what the M118 Army sniper round uses with SMK 175. I wish I could find some but I don't think I can stomach $50+ for a pound of powder. I found some IMR 4895 several months ago for under $40 so I bought several, wish they had eight pounders would have been even better

I had AR10s but sold them off to get M1A's. I got rid of them and kept my FALs. They all work well depending on the build.
So is there one load that will work well in an FAL, an AR10 and an M70 in the 308?

A few years back I was developing a load for a DPMS 223, the first 6 test rounds printed a 0.255" group outside to outside at 100 yds. Went back to the reloading bench and loaded 5 more and shot those into another 0.255" group outside to outside at 100yds. My youngest son was either 6 or 7 and witnessed this although he didn't have a clue what was going on except there was only one hole in the target. Load was a 55 gr NBT over varget, WSRP. I haven't been able to duplicate a group like that since.

Recent Posts