The World’s most accurate bullet… new bullet design

Sir, I happen to have a bunch of bullets similar to the one you have drawn. They are made by a gentleman from Germany. His name is Lutz Moeller and he sold me 300 copies of these pcs of sh---, I had a rifle built per his suggestions and the bullets tumbled at all velocities. Send me your address and I will mail you one of them.

Google Viking 375 bullets and you can read all about it. The Viking is a monument to the failures of computer designed projectiles.
As you point out . All been tried before . The problem is that a bulet has a center of gravity and pressure and if you make the front the same as the back

it has no idea of which way it should remain pointed in flight. The center of pressure will move so far forward on the bullet that the center of pressure is near the middle of the bullet . Once that happens the base will start to overtake the meplat .

I highly doubt that the worlds most accurate bullet design would be based on a hornady sst, it would most likely be based on a flat based custom benchrest bullet, makers like Barts custom bullets or Fowler come to mind.

Advertise it as the worlds most dangerous bullet, you will have a winner and you will have been honest in your promotion.

Yep, surely he must be; however, Lutz Moeller wasn't joking but his creation ( Viking ) turned out to be a very bad joke.

In retrospect I believe he had an idea, plugged it into a computer program that indicated it would work. He then talked it up on the net and waited for an idiot (ME ) to spend the money to test it.

Lutz was happy to say that all his extreme bullets were "experimental," so you assumed the risk that they didn't fly.... but he was certainly happy to take your check. I was lucky and figgured it out first. Agustus was not so lucky.

Jeffvn

Oh well the rifle shoots nice with the CE so alls well that ends well.

Depending on your barrel twist and it would need to be a fast one you may be able to make those bullets work by cutting that base ogive off to form a shorter boat tail with flat base , or even cut them way back to form a flat base . Then maybe even cut the meplat back a bit . Then the center of pressure and gravity will be more like a normal bullet . Just need a small lathe to do it . You could use the existing base point to center the bullet in the chuck to start . I guess it depends on how many you have .

With 200 in hand then it may be worth it just to use them up.
You could use the JBM drag twist program to estimate the bullet length , weight and velocity that would work with a 6.5 twist then cut the bullets down to suit .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.