The Tale of 2 Elk and Hammer Bullets

Bang4theBuck

I have two good friends that have been trying to buddy draw Elk tags in SE Wyoming, and on their 13th year (this year), they drew the tags. I was able to participate in their experiences by assisting them with doing some reloading and load tuning for both of them. Both of these guys are already seasoned hunters and great shots with a rifle, but neither had practiced much beyond 100 yds, so we did a little bit of that too. I am posting for two reasons. 1. I think it is always worth posting successes by good guys on great animals. 2. Sharing another great story testimonial with Hammer bullets. Starting with the later, both guys are shooting 300 WSM. One in a Browning Abolt medallion (almost too pretty to hunt with) and the other is a lightweight Remmy. We loaded the 165 gr. Power Hammer in both. Ironically, I developed the load for one rifle, and because I didn't push the velocity real hard like I would normally do for my own hunting rifle, I tried the fully developed load in the other rifle and it loved it! Bonus! One buddy ended up taking a very mature 4x6 knuckle head bull. He ended up with a 70 yard shot and took the Elk through the heart. The bullet was traveling at around 2900 and performed flawlessly on a heart shot. The bull absorbed the bullet, stumbled for about 35 yards and dropped. On the other bull, the shot was same velocity, but was at 275 yds. Double lung shot, and the bullet turned both lungs to 100% jelly. The bull absorbed the bullet and never moved from where he stood. A couple seconds later he dropped in his tracks. Both shots were complete pass-throughs and neither bull gave any indications of needing a finishing shot after initial impact. These two guys are two of the most generous and deserving guys you will ever meet. I couldn't be more happy for them, and couldn't be happier with the bullet performance on these mature bulls.

Attachments

• IMG_9442.jpg
    IMG_9442.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20231016_081229474_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231016_081229474_HDR.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 204
Helping someone to success is like being the one pulling trigger. Great story and awesome job helping out aka Paying it Forward with your reloading experience.