What hammer bullet for elk

OG-danimal

Anyone have experience with elk and the hammer bullets out of a 6.5prc? What bullet would be the best option? I have a 24" proof barrel and a 7.5 twist. Cheers

You ought to have a lot of opinions by the end of the day, but I'll give you a bump. The general advice I got about hammers was that you can go lighter and flatter than you think you need to based on lead. It took me about a year but I eventually got the logic of it and followed the advice. With the speeds you can get with a 110-130 you really don't have to worry about BC inside 700. Also you don't need the same mass to penetrate as lead. Somewhere on here there's a guy who lives in hawaii that shot a feral bull with a 123 Absolute hammer and had the bullet core make it to the far hide. 124HH is one I've seen a lot for the prc, but they'll happily ship you any you want. I've got a 7mm and went 140 class, it just the best exterior ballistics in my setup: good enough BC with a lot of speed. I'll see how it does on elk in a few months.

I've been shooting the 124 HH bullets at 3,200+ in my 23.5 Proof barrel. That velocity is easily achievable with 4831, RE23, RE26. According to Steve, RE26 and a non-mag LR primer will get you over 3,400 ft/sec. I only shoot whitetails with my PRC so I'm content with a leisurely 3,200 ft/sec. :>)