The Resurrection

59FLH

This is the story of the resurrection……. of my favorite rifle. It's actually the first centerfire rifle I ever bought (30yrs. ago), a Rem 700 BDL in 280 Rem. Up until that point I had hunted the hard woods of the Appalachians with a pump action 30-30 my parents got me for Christmas as a kid. I learned all my do's and don'ts about loading CFHP rifles with this 280. I learned the good and bad of jamming a bullet, FL vs neck sizing, shoulder bumping, over pressure, split necks, case stretch, separated case heads, sticky bolts, flat primers, loose pockets, carbon rings and build-up, copper fouling, all that stuff. Those hard lessons came at the cost of barrel wear and abuse.

Accuracy declined and I tried everything I could think of to bring it back. I tried SS brushes, Cratex abrasives, bore lapping, household cleaners… everything. But alas, she was gone (RIP). The accuracy fell off to the point I removed the barrel, de-milled all the 280 ammo I had loaded, and sidelined that rifle for a couple short actions I had acquired.

In later years I re-barreled the action in a popular SA chambering, I got it to shoot sub MOA but never used it as I did not need a hunting rifle caliber between 6 and 7mm. In my circle of friends, the accuracy of the original rifle was legendary, it held a special place in my safe and dang it! I just missed shooting and hunting with it! Over the winter I decided to re-barrel the action in its original 280 Rem and got to thinking about AI, now that the caliber is SAAMI accepted and main streamed. I had been intrigued about the Ackley improvements since I read his first book, and I decided now was the time.

So, I bought a 280 AI reamer and decided I would burn the last embers of this old shot to pieces barrel fire forming 280 AI brass and save the wear and tear on my new barrel. I trued the action face, lapped the lugs, four jawed the barrel and shortened it to 23 15/16", deepened the .708" counter bore, and chamber reamed it to 280 AI. Knowing that the barrel was junk and not wanting to waste priceless components, my inclination was to COW with PP & TP to fire form the cases. After contemplation I decided I need range time and fresh air, so I slapped on an old Weaver I use to test with and dug out all my old de-milled 280 stuff. There were 100 HP's, 139 BTSP's, 154 SP's and 150 BT's and the old IMR 4350 I had dumped back into the can a few years ago. Knowing I was going to blast 70+ rounds through a box stock 700 BDL sporter, I loaded modest charges of powder solely for the sake of fire forming and not wearing me out before I finished the deed.

I went to the range yesterday, fire formed some of my cases and came home with a smile on my face and joy in my heart. I can't say for sure that the Lord works in mysterious ways, but ballistics and barrel setbacks surely do. It looks like The Old Girl's back and ready for action. It seems timely for this phenomenon, and I just wanted to share the experience with those that can appreciate it.

Considering the mirage, heavy cross hairs, low magnification and the fact my only intention was to fire form I think range day was a success for a box stock heavily abused resurrected Rem 700 hunting rifle.

Pics:

• Walking to the bull with the 100 HP's
  • 150 BT's
  • 139 BTSP's

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 111
That's an amazing story! Thanks for sharing! I love stuff like that. I think we all have a rifle that is special to us for one reason or another. Glad you got to "keep her going".
I'm going to pull my old 6.5 swede custom carbine out of the vault today and ressserectt it I inherited it from my first step dad my second step dad custom stocked it with a hand built stock wood rasp and router and a lot of time hand checkered also killed my first big 11 point the day Pres Kennedy was assanited my first son killed his first buck and my second son killed his first buck with it now its time to get it ready for my Grand son new pad a little finish work some good hand loads with hammer hunter bullets we'd be good to go

This is the story of the resurrection……. of my favorite rifle. It's actually the first centerfire rifle I ever bought (30yrs. ago), a Rem 700 BDL in 280 Rem. Up until that point I had hunted the hard woods of the Appalachians with a pump action 30-30 my parents got me for Christmas as a kid. I learned all my do's and don'ts about loading CFHP rifles with this 280. I learned the good and bad of jamming a bullet, FL vs neck sizing, shoulder bumping, over pressure, split necks, case stretch, separated case heads, sticky bolts, flat primers, loose pockets, carbon rings and build-up, copper fouling, all that stuff. Those hard lessons came at the cost of barrel wear and abuse.

Accuracy declined and I tried everything I could think of to bring it back. I tried SS brushes, Cratex abrasives, bore lapping, household cleaners… everything. But alas, she was gone (RIP). The accuracy fell off to the point I removed the barrel, de-milled all the 280 ammo I had loaded, and sidelined that rifle for a couple short actions I had acquired.

In later years I re-barreled the action in a popular SA chambering, I got it to shoot sub MOA but never used it as I did not need a hunting rifle caliber between 6 and 7mm. In my circle of friends, the accuracy of the original rifle was legendary, it held a special place in my safe and dang it! I just missed shooting and hunting with it! Over the winter I decided to re-barrel the action in its original 280 Rem and got to thinking about AI, now that the caliber is SAAMI accepted and main streamed. I had been intrigued about the Ackley improvements since I read his first book, and I decided now was the time.

So, I bought a 280 AI reamer and decided I would burn the last embers of this old shot to pieces barrel fire forming 280 AI brass and save the wear and tear on my new barrel. I trued the action face, lapped the lugs, four jawed the barrel and shortened it to 23 15/16", deepened the .708" counter bore, and chamber reamed it to 280 AI. Knowing that the barrel was junk and not wanting to waste priceless components, my inclination was to COW with PP & TP to fire form the cases. After contemplation I decided I need range time and fresh air, so I slapped on an old Weaver I use to test with and dug out all my old de-milled 280 stuff. There were 100 HP's, 139 BTSP's, 154 SP's and 150 BT's and the old IMR 4350 I had dumped back into the can a few years ago. Knowing I was going to blast 70+ rounds through a box stock 700 BDL sporter, I loaded modest charges of powder solely for the sake of fire forming and not wearing me out before I finished the deed.

I went to the range yesterday, fire formed some of my cases and came home with a smile on my face and joy in my heart. I can't say for sure that the Lord works in mysterious ways, but ballistics and barrel setbacks surely do. It looks like The Old Girl's back and ready for action. It seems timely for this phenomenon, and I just wanted to share the experience with those that can appreciate it.

Considering the mirage, heavy cross hairs, low magnification and the fact my only intention was to fire form I think range day was a success for a box stock heavily abused resurrected Rem 700 hunting rifle.

Pics:

• Walking to the bull with the 100 HP's
  • 150 BT's
  • 139 BTSP's
Now,,, to come up with a set of dies for AI!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.