Resurrection....

26Reload

Had to take a barrel off the wife's 260 Remington ruger...made it too heavy for her...put her compact 16" back on and it is once again a shooter.....
But that left me with a 25" shilen barrel with maybe a 150 rounds thru it....just sitting there.....rotting away....so I went in search of an older Remington to put it on...found an older sps at a pawnshop..it used to be a 3006....
Did some work on a gunsmiths house and did a little time swap....my son and I put in six hours labor of prep work for a future stone wall....
Had the barrel rechambered from 260 to a 65284norma....just got the assembly back from Cerakote...Remington black action....tungsten barrel with a 1 1/4" titanium muzzle so the end of barrel won't show the wear spot from traveling muzzle down in truck...always hated that worn spot....makes the gun look abused....
Replaced the plastic stock with a B&C mountain rifle stock...was going to digital paint it but figured the dark earth and black webbing was busy enough...and when they state some work is needed to make it fit..believe them....I took a few hours to channel the barrel...some work on the trigger guard area...and although it has pillars I added a touch of bedding...put a VXii 6-18×40 CDS AO on it.....the two turn turret from leupold is on the way.....hopefully I will get it to shoot....all together weighs about 8#....would have liked it lighter...tried to get the gunsmith to flute the barrel and bolt and remove extra metal from bolt handle....but no go....although he's been in business 30 years and worked with his dad on guns in his gunshop..he isn't practiced in fluting.....I think it may of have cut weight to about the 6.5#....which I really would have preferred....but it is what it is....a tool....oh yes...total expense...about $1300 for complete rifle...and additional for dies brass and such........oh yeah..replaced trigger..went with Rifle Basix...
So here's a couple pics.... 0210181933a.jpg 0210181933.jpg

Last edited:
How does it feed from the magazine? It is my understanding that the ramps might need some work for the 284 based cartridges. It was a huge issue for Wincester when they brought out all the WSM family. This should only be done by someone VERY familiar with this issue. BTW I am a huge fan of both the 284 and the 6.5-284.

I have read that there is need of tweaking for the ramps to funnel correctly..it works smooth and flawless.."no premature ejections"...lol
I don't know if the gunsmith did anything special to the ramps..or anything at all...they don't look like they have extra bends...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.