The mighty 270 WSM strikes again!

You know that makes me think a little, I wonder how my wife would feel if I ever brought one home and said hey honey I got us dinner. Next time I just might have to try one out but I don't know if there are any in Utah which is were my job has taken me. :rolleyes:

I feel for ya, having to live in Colorado and Utah. Don't know what I would do if I didn't have to pay over $600 for a nonresident elk tag!:rolleyes:

As far as the wife goes, just don't tell her. That's how I got my wife to eat deer meat. I made some steaks one night and she commented on how good it was, after she was finished I told her. She now eats venison on a regular basis. She actually got on to me a few weeks back about not bringing any meat home this year, so I had to go shoot something.

My wife has tried to ban me from cooking marmot in her kitchen! No humor.
I like a good beef steak now and again, but elk is my preferred meat. I get great satisfaction out of eating anything I have shot or caught.

You know that makes me think a little, I wonder how my wife would feel if I ever brought one home and said hey honey I got us dinner. Next time I just might have to try one out but I don't know if there are any in Utah which is were my job has taken me. :rolleyes:

there are plenty here in utah. they hang out at a lot of the same places you find pot guts but prefer the rock a little more. they call them rock chucks out here.

I've had the good fortune to live in western CO, in the middle of arguably the best elk hunting on the planet. Working ranches and guiding all of my adult life has opened great hunting opportunities.

Congrats, and nice shooting! Thanks for posting up the pics.

I also hunt out in Western Colorado, and your comment above about arguable the best elk hunting on the planet is just about exactly how I feel about where I hunt. Although I think you've got me beat since I hunt on public land, and my biggest complaint is a bit more pressure than I would prefer. Even then it's not too bad.

Okay, so it really wasn't that dramatic... 175 yard shot this morning on a yearling cow. 140 gr Accubond made for a quick kill.
Really like this sweet Allen Precision rifle. It shoots a lot more marmots than anything else. This one is my longest shot with this rifle, at 794 yards.

Looks like beautiful territory out there. how far did you have to pack your cow elk out of the hills?

Well... it was at least a hundred yards... down hill... I was checking one of the cabins and she was standing on the hillside watching me.

Actually the bull I got this year was also about a hundred yards off one of the ranch roads... down hill again.
Hunting on the ranch is pretty much shoot one in the hay field or on the hillside just above the fields. It's filling a tag, not so much hunting.

That's kinda funny.
I hunted hard for a week by myself and all except a few that I seen were being pursued by an angry hoard of public land hunters. They were high tailing it to private land...probably your place.:rolleyes:

Boy, that seems to be the way it frequently goes. There's still plenty of good hunting on public land, but unless you're just lucky it pays to work hard to get a couple miles from the nearest road or ATV trail. There is good hunting off some of the ATV trails though. I've also had good success packing in horseback.

I started guiding on the ranch next to the one I manage, some 36 years ago. We used to say it was like hunting in the zoo, but there were times when there simply weren't any elk there too.

COBRAD, Have a few guys wanting to do a Elk hunt this year. Do you have any recommendations for outfitters. We are looking at the 2nd or 3rd season, Please pm me with any info. Thanks, Russell

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.