The last rifle

Syncerus1

The habits of age and life experience are challenging. I have been a .30 caliber guy for over 50 years. My first experience was with a .30-06 in the early '60's. At the age of 14, or thereabouts, I shouldered the rifle, a scoped Remington bolt action, and fired one round at a can some yards away. The sound, recoil, and visual effect of that experience left a lasting mark on my being, not to mention the scope cut over my right eye.
In the late '60's I bought a new Ruger 77 chambered in 6mm Rem., topped with a Tasco 3-9 scope. It was the most accurate rifle I had ever fired. Sub ½ MOA with Remington Core-Lokt 100 gr. green box ammo, and it still is. It took lots of coyotes, 2 pronghorn, and a few deer.
In the early '70's my uncle welcomed me into the .30 club. I took the training to heart and purchased my first .30, a pre '64 model 70 in .30-06., topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 3-9 duplex reticle. Using all the knowledge gained and applied with other .30's this became my primary rifle. It has accounted for more animals than I will quatify. I made a post on another Forum about half the number of big game taken and was severely mocked, North American hunters are NA biased and most have little real world hunting experience. I will not herein repeat that lesson. That same rifle was rechambered by RCBS in the mid '80's to its present form, .300 Win. Mag. It wears a Swarovski Z5 in 3.5-18x44 glass. It is lethal to silly ranges of plus 700 yards.
Fast forward to 2023. After 4 plus decades I drew a NV Desert Bighorn tag. Many friends of mine have a variety of "over the horizon" guns from the best out of the box makers to truly custom rifles. They are, in each incarnation I have fired, a true ballistic wonder, long range abilities still required. I took my ram on day 25 with one of these rifles. A Proof Research 6.5 PRC and a 147 gr. ELD-M bullet. 580 yards, prone. I was now focused on the PRC family, bolstered by the carrying of a borrowed 300 PRC for elk less than a month earlier.
Today's tech is sci-fi to this old experienced shooter, of constrained ability and financial means. My wife has the ability to enjoy some truly wonderful hunts in the coming years and so using that excuse, I undertook to buy/assemble a suitable rifle for her, to replace her semi -custom 7mm-08. It is the only rifle she has known for over 28 years, and she has taken nearly triple digits of game with it, shooting only 140 gr. Nosler partitions. She was not thrilled with the idea, but gave her tentative approval to proceed.
I did my due diligence, and waffled mightily between the 6.5 and 7 PRC. The 6.5 won out. I know, I know, the 7 PRC does everything better. The recoil and cost per round of the 6.5 PRC sealed the deal. Top end guns are financially out of reach at my age/income, but a variant of one could be assembled. I looked at Fierce, Gunwerks, Proof, and a handful of others. I chose the Proof Elevation. It is thin wristed, and a classically shaped rifle. 24" light Sendero barrel, Zermatt medium action with all the flexibility built in, 7.5:1 twist for the truly long-range Berger 156 EOL's, and to my hands and eyes, a quality product. It wears a Swaro X5i 5-25x56 glass, supported with Warne Mountain Tech low rings, a SRS 2 Ti Pro brake, and until a few weeks ago an MDT electronic vertical level, until a range guy snapped it off, replacement being looked for at a deal price. It weighs 8 lbs. 11 ounces. Not as light as I wanted, but the glass is worth the extra pound.
Please let ne know your thoughts and ideas on the parts, and what I did less than well. I'm familiar with the FFP vs. SFP issues glass issues, barrel length discussions, etc… we shoot off sticks when required from being African centric, and bags prone when possible courtesy of my uncle. The gun is being broken in with 147 ELD-M's, and a well-practiced routine until it achieves speed and accuracy. What are your thoughts on the 156 Bergers, and Hammers? Primarily a hunting gun with some range work out to a thousand yards. We have range capabilities to 1650 yards.
This is a really great Forum and fellow members, thanks all!

You can switch to the ELDX without any problems, never shot the Berger in that weight. I have loaded and shot the Hammer in 124 grain for the 6.5 PRC. I know they are VERY accurate and kill far beyond their weight. Don't discount the 124 weight. Talk to Steve @Hammer Bullets. They have hunted Africa several times using them. Hopefully this will help you. Bill.

I can't help but wonder, why???

Her semi custom 7mm-08 has served her faithfully for 28 years.

Why change something that works for her?
Why change cartridge?

I've shot the 7mm-08 with 140gr Berger VLD at 1,000 yards. And i'd wager it will reach the 1,650 yards you mentioned.

My advice.
Give her, her 7mm-08 back.

Some people are down on proof's stuff lately, but I've got 2 of their origin pre-chambered barrels (bought from members here) that are shooters. A buddy has 3 that I've developed loads for and they are shooters as well. All shoot better than my first custom, which is a bartlein chambered by a reputable gunsmith. Congrats on the new rifle! Personally I'd stick with the eld-m's if it likes them. In my experience the 147's are fabulous!!!!

Sorry, but the title of your thread flags your age. Why not go on an African hunt or somewhere else exotic rather than buying a new "Hornady" cartridge.

I just lost my dad who was quite the collector of firearms. If I could see him do it over again, I'd see him enjoy one last great hunt he's never done, even with a beat up rifle from a PH…vs. a new gun that he never got to shoot because cancer got him…

Ask me how I know…

Sorry, but the title of your thread flags your age. Why not go on an African hunt or somewhere else exotic rather than buying a new "Hornady" cartridge.

I just lost my dad who was quite the collector of firearms. If I could see him do it over again, I'd see him enjoy one last great hunt he's never done, even with a beat up rifle from a PH…vs. a new gun that he never got to shoot because cancer got him…

Ask me how I know…
Sorry for your loss. My father died from a accident when I was young. Never hunted with him. When you're young you love your parents, but you don't really know them like you do when you're an adult. I'd liked to have known him.

In my opinion your choices are solid for rifle , manageable recoil and enough power for bullet expansion at your planned range. Some people here will say no to 6.5 dia bullet on bigger game , ive had nothing but good performance from it .
The scope magnification range is good and swaro glass is great ,
In my experience the turrets dont hold up well.
You explained the work behind getting the rifle tuned up with ammo and settled in with complete break in for speed.
That will make your dope sheet reliable .
A rangefinder with a ballistic solver will speed up the time it takes for a turret adjustment , rather than running a yrdage no. To a dope sheet ,then dialing .
I have a ton of confidence in berger bullets to take game with ,
I have not used the 156 for hunting , 140 elites and 140 vld's have served me well. I have used eldm's for practice to save a lil money and they are both accurate and deadly. They also perform well on game. Berger is my first choice for africa.

Hammer mono's are the most accurate mono i have tried ,
BC with mono's suffer. Faster muzzle speeds helps time of flight with wind dopes .
I'm a cup and core for hunting all the way , to much success on quick kills and no tracking required.
I have only one rifle tuned for hammer bullets and will use it when hunting where the laws dictate it.
Buy as much ammo as it takes to become proficient and confident with it , hit the hills and enjoy the rewards of the shot and the hunt.
Life is short , use every minute of it

OP, is this the post on the other forum you were referring to?

"I've shot over 700 head of game with a .30-06 using standard 180gr PSP ammo from various manufacturers over the course of a short period. Had RCBS rechamber for .300 Win Mag and never looked back. This gun a 1958 barreled action pre-64 Mdl 70, bedded in the very first Chet brown fiberglass/carbon fiber stock still is sub MOA and digests Hornady Superformance 180 gr. Interbonds (discontinued) or SST's at 3140 fps all day long. Both bullets have a ballistic coefficient of .480 and perform well. Gun zeroed @ 300 yards. 11 inches low @ 400, 23 inches low @ 500. I've killed out to stupid distances of over 1400 yards (deer), elk to 720 yards and everything in between. Not all barrels will eat all loads the same. Explore a few brands and loads all around the same grain weight until you find what your gun likes. Enjoy the journey..."

To all, thanks for the comments. No hate for the 7mm-08, it's a wonderful platform. To FireFlyFishing, I appreciate your suggestion and I feel your loss. I recently lost one of a remaining small handful of lifelong friends, and we can never go back in time. I appreciate Africa immensely having spent years there as a PH in several countries. WeiserBucks, that was indeed my post. The true number of game taken is in excess of double that number, no brag just honesty, and a lot of culling.
My purpose in the 6.5 PRC is it does double duty in both hunting and LR shooting at a more reasonable expense. I went over weight on this rifle with the heavier scope, but could find no other options for power/clarity/repeatability. I love clean reticles, and they are on the verge of extinction in todays marketplace. Numbers, hashmarks, thick and thin posts and wires are the norm. A dial up scope should be cleaner, the marks are great for faster follow-up shots, but then follow-ups are not necessary if the first is one and done as expected.
Guys tell me about slings, levels, and such as my final pieces, please? I shoot sticks and prone of packs/bags for and aft when range/conditions permit, so no bi-pods necessary...

Sorry for your loss. My father died from a accident when I was young. Never hunted with him. When you're young you love your parents, but you don't really know them like you do when you're an adult. I'd liked to have known him.
I was 24 when my dad had a tractor accident. He was the smartest man I have known. I was looking forward to learning a lot more from him.
So I guess my advice would be no matter what you do focus your time and energy on those you love. I hope you enjoy many hunts together.

I can't help but wonder, why???

Her semi custom 7mm-08 has served her faithfully for 28 years.^

Why change something that works for her?
Why change cartridge?

I've shot the 7mm-08 with 140gr Berger VLD at 1,000 yards. And i'd wager it will reach the 1,650 yards you mentioned.

My advice.
Give her, her 7mm-08 back.
^^^^^^^^I thought the same.....but hey....great excuse to get a new rifle for ONE'S SELF...look honey....I got YOU A NEW RIFLE...( don't worry if you don't really like it....I can always shoot it for you!)☺️