The Fun Of It All

RH300UM

This might and probably is the wrong place to post this question or better yet this experince.
Here goes anyway.
What does hunting mean to you???

Loaded question!! No pun intended!
As I stand here listening and watching my horses eat, I realize what it means to me.

The smell of a horse.
The anticipation of the hunt.
The smell of a wood burning stove.
The frost on the ground and in the air
Sitting around a fire on the night before the opener, dads, kids. Excitement and enjoyment.
Sitting under a quakie tree in September as the leaves change and listening to elk bugle!!
Packing back into the wilderness 20 miles to get away.
Seeing old freinds. Making new freinds.
Aces and pains.
The lowest lows and the highest highs.
Freeze to the brink of death.
Work harder then is normal or beatable for most.
Watch the sun rise. Watch the sun set.
Watch a storm work it's way to you and remind you that you are VERY small.
And lastly the satisfaction of a productive hunt.

I would like to hear your thoughts of what hunting means to you.
All of it!?

Planning,preparation and follow through to carry out the plan.
Old freinds. New freinds.

All of the above plus the smell of coffee and bacon and feeling the presence of my creator and savior. Wondering how much better it will be there where season never ends:D

All of the above plus the smell of coffee and bacon and feeling the presence of my creator and savior. Wondering how much better it will be there where season never ends:D

12 months of September would be heaven!

There is nothing better than the high country in September.

I forgot to mention the Eagles.
Countless hours spent watching the Eagles soar.
Watching in Awe and with jealousy.
If there is reincarnation I want to try that!!

Waiting months for draw results.
Trying to decipher what combination my card was charge for.
Leaving in the dark.
Getting back in the dark.
Sore feet
Aching back
Sliced Turkey and tortillas
Quiet
Strained eyes
Wind
Mystery
One more hill, one more ridge, just need one more hour
Hours slipping away
Days slipping away
Dreams. The most real dreams I've ever had.
He's not the one.
Finally taking the safety off.

Best of all, time with my dad.

The smell of pine and sage
The smell of elk in a tight north slope timber pocket
The smell of wet saddle blankets and leather
The smell of the old Stetson when its wet from fresh snow
The smell of a camp fire as you close the last half mile to camp, knowing dad, brothers or friends have beaten you to camp.
The smell of gun oil
The peace and closeness to god

The quite of fresh snow.

Sometime I go places and like to dream I'm the only human that has ever been there; even if only for that season.

Hunting is a refresh of life and sole. Its all things mentioned in these treads and to be honest I don't care if I get an animal or not. I think that part has came with age. Anymore I far more enjoy watching them sneak back into the timber without even pulling the rifle from the scabbard. Of course if its a hog I'll have to retract the last sentence and put him on the ground.

Working with the horses and mules.
The fresh smell of the pines.
The solitude and quietness.
What's over the next hill.
The bugle of an elk and the smell of elk.
Time spent with family and friends.
All the hours spent practicing with both rifle and bow.
All the hours spent planning the hunting trips.
Time spent scouting.
Helping my Grandchildren learn to shot.
Taking Grand Kids out hunting, especially when it's just me and them.
All the investigation for gear that hopefully will work for our hunts.
Setting up base camp and all the various spike camps.
The tired muscles and satisfaction that even as I approach the big 70 mark I made it in and out of those canyons another year.
The discussions of what went wrong when we foul up and what went right when we are successful. And what we are going to try tomorrow.
Seeing the game (deer, elk, bear, cougar) and other small animals and birds. (That is if I'm really lucky).
The day I take off and spend at base camp with my wife, because my knees are complaining.
I'm sure I forgot some things, but I truly enjoy the out doors and hunting.

Adrenaline . . .

First morning of Elk season, 30 minutes before dawn when I'm sitting atop a bowl that I've been scouting, I get the shakes like a labrador with a piece of bacon balancing on his nose. My whole body courses with adrenaline until I hear that first bugle of the season . . . at that moment, after all of the preparation, the game has begun, I get to do what I was born for.

After you have moved into the kill zone, the wind is in your favor and the sound of the bugle has changed, the bull is on his feet and he's approaching . . . I can't feel my fingers and, thankfully, all of those hours spent practicing are paying off as my movements are nearly automatic as I come to full draw. I swear the bull will hear my heartbeat pounding out of my ears. Adrenaline . . .

After the shot, I get the shakes for about 10 minutes, replaying those precious moments over and over in my mind. Knowing that I have done my duty well and knowing the outcome. Waiting for my quarry to die as peacefully as possible, counting my blessings as I walk up to a full freezer of elk meat.

The runners high that comes with dropping that final load on the tailgate after a brutal packout (aren't they all brutal). The feeling of immense accomplishment that I have provided for my family for an entire year and the total satisfaction in the entire experience. The thoughts from years prior when I was still learning the game and only went home with lessons learned and a yearning for one more day.

There's a lot to be thankful for. The camaraderie is something that I struggle to put into words, my hunting buddy is one of the most outstanding men I have ever shared a camp with. The memories are stacking up.

Is it September yet!?!?!?!

12 months of September would be heaven!

There is nothing better than the high country in September.

I think that the season ends is what makes the time during the season that much better. Then it waiting in anticipation for the next season to begin.

The sights-
-of the sun coming up
-of the world coming to life for another day
-of the animals starting their day
-of the campfire and breakfast with the ashes in the eggs
-of the best stained glass window in the world - sunrise

The sounds -
- the morning birds
- an elk's bugle
- the breeze in the trees
- the creak of saddle leather
- of the quiet that really is nothing more than the lack of man-made noise

The smells -
- dew
- pines, cedar, of the wildflowers during turkey season
- campfire smoke
- the laughter of your hunting companions

The memories -
- of my first hunt with my Dad
- of the last hunt with my Dad
- of the first hunt with my Grandson
- of the blizzard that came on us in the Snowy Mountains
- of the blizzard that hit us in the Guadelupe's
- of the multitude of hunting companions I've had the pleasure, and displeasure, of hunting with
- of hunting with my Dad

The solemness of being outdoors, taking time to thank God that I am there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.