Thanks for all of the info

Broz, you are spot on about the alloy mixture = poo in the bore. Boy did I learn that the hard way... I still shoot a LOT of Barnes & will be using the CEB's in my 6.5WSM. My Lazz has enough rounds down it now that fouling isn't all that bad, time will tell if the CEB's foul like a Barnes or not.

I can recall my hunting partner bought a new 700 in 7mag & bought a bunch of factory ammo to "test"... Hornady, Barnes, Federal, Remington etc... then was a little bent out of shape with minute of pie plate accuracy... :D we had a good coaching opportunity that day.... & night.

Re: Thanks for all of the info Update

I finnaly got some 250grn Bergers to try, so far no luck. I have tried loads from mild to wild with sevral powders, targets all look like a shotgun blast! This is a factory chamber,lots of free bore, bullet falls out of case before it hits the lands. Bergers are too long to seat at mag length so seating at a col of 3.875, where bullet looks right in the case, still way of the lands maybe .200. I have tried imr 4831, h4831sc, h4350, imr 7828, with all of these I have gone from light loads and worked up to signs of pressure. The best of the poor groups have came at the high end,I saw the same thing when I worked up the load for the 210 grn barnes. Does any one have any ideas to make the bergers shoot. Was going to try h1000 next. I am about to give up and stay with the barnes. HELP!

I finnaly got some 250grn Bergers to try, so far no luck. I have tried loads from mild to wild with sevral powders, targets all look like a shotgun blast! This is a factory chamber,lots of free bore, bullet falls out of case before it hits the lands. Bergers are too long to seat at mag length so seating at a col of 3.875, where bullet looks right in the case, still way of the lands maybe .200. I have tried imr 4831, h4831sc, h4350, imr 7828, with all of these I have gone from light loads and worked up to signs of pressure. The best of the poor groups have came at the high end,I saw the same thing when I worked up the load for the 210 grn barnes. Does any one have any ideas to make the bergers shoot. Was going to try h1000 next. I am about to give up and stay with the barnes. HELP!
What make rifle and what twist rate? Sounds to me like they are not stabilizing at all for you.

I like your choice of new bullet...:D

Great shooting !! Congrats on a good job breaking the trigger.

Jeff
Seems like that new bullet isnt working out..........:D
If you need some more Barnes 210 i have two boxes that i am never going to use that i will sell to you.

Its a weatherby mark v 1 in 10. I am starting to think that your right. I would have already given up but I baught a hunderd of the dang things!
That's why we have the LRH classifieds.... .:D

Have you got another load that is shooting really well with lighter bullets?

If so I don't think I'd burn up a hell of a lot more powder and range time.

If you do have an accurate load try some of them. If they aren't shooting well now either might want to see if you can figure out what's come loose.

Sometimes the best way to attack a problem is to just back away from it and go back and try something that did work.

I run into this kind of situation a lot with both dogs and teaching people to shoot.

I have learned alot from this site and would like to say THANK YOU! This was tonights shooting session results.
340 Weatherby mark V
HS Presision stock
Vortex viper pst 6x24 ffp
Murphy persision base
Burris xtreem rings
210 barnes
88 grn. IMR4831
I know its only one group, but its the best I have done so far!
P.S. Unlike Len I only had a dollargun)

I have been able to repete this group and evan shrink it a little since my first post. I was want to use a heavier, higher bc bullet is why I was trying the bergers. Also Im not real happy with the barnes lack of expansion if you dont hit bone.

Attachments

• 2012-06-20_20.25.52.jpg
    2012-06-20_20.25.52.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012-06-20_20.29.25.jpg
    2012-06-20_20.29.25.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 60
10" twist should stabilize that Berger with zero difficulty. I'm really surprised 7828 didn't show promise, my 338RUM really liked it. H-1000 is the go to powder for the 338 Lapua, 338 Edge & several folks are using it in the 338RUM as well. You're 340 is nipping at the heels of those cartridges so it might not be a bad idea to give H-1000 a try.

With the Weatherby free bore, I would suspect you are going to have to single shot the Berger. How close to the lands can you get with the boattail/bearing surface junction of your Berger seated to the neck/shoulder junction of your case?

I have been able to repete this group and evan shrink it a little since my first post. I was want to use a heavier, higher bc bullet is why I was trying the bergers. Also Im not real happy with the barnes lack of expansion if you dont hit bone.
If you still have some of those loaded up I'd say go try a group or two with them and see if they are still shooting as well for you. If not, time to see if perhaps something has come loose in the scope, mounts or perhaps in the action to stock meld.

10" twist should stabilize that Berger with zero difficulty. I'm really surprised 7828 didn't show promise, my 338RUM really liked it. H-1000 is the go to powder for the 338 Lapua, 338 Edge & several folks are using it in the 338RUM as well. You're 340 is nipping at the heels of those cartridges so it might not be a bad idea to give H-1000 a try.

With the Weatherby free bore, I would suspect you are going to have to single shot the Berger. How close to the lands can you get with the boattail/bearing surface junction of your Berger seated to the neck/shoulder junction of your case?

With col Im useing now it is a single shot. I could move the bullet out another. 075-.100" and still be aprox. .100 from lands. With col now the boat tail/bearing surface junction is at the lowwer end of the neck.

With col Im useing now it is a single shot. I could move the bullet out another. 075-.100" and still be aprox. .100 from lands. With col now the boat tail/bearing surface junction is at the lowwer end of the neck.

well crap! Man that is a ton of freebore.... how far does a guy go out before he sees in consistent bullet support... head scratcher for me...

Just a thought but you might talk to a GS about the possibility of cutting a bit off, rechamber and thus eliminate a good bit of the freebore.

I'm not sure how much they'd have to take off though in order to do it.

Just a thought but you might talk to a GS about the possibility of cutting a bit off, rechamber and thus eliminate a good bit of the freebore.

I'm not sure how much they'd have to take off though in order to do it.

It it a definite possibility, though I probably wouldn't be doing that just to shoot a different bullet. It would be no different than a setback.

I was really hoping LTLR would chime in, that guy has more WBY chambered rifles than our local sporting goods store! :D

If the OP were to step up to the 300grainers, he could seat those out farther do to the increased bearing surfaces length...

This is not ment to be a true 1000 yard rifle, at least wasnt the idea behind it. I am hopeing for 700 under field conditions.

It it a definite possibility, though I probably wouldn't be doing that just to shoot a different bullet. It would be no different than a setback.

I was really hoping LTLR would chime in, that guy has more WBY chambered rifles than our local sporting goods store! :D

If the OP were to step up to the 300grainers, he could seat those out farther do to the increased bearing surfaces length...
If he only wants 700 yards under field conditions he might as well go with the 265 Barnes Lrx or the 280 Barnes Lrx since they like to be jumped.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.