The Dreaded "Click" - WHY?

Muddyboots

OK, I have followed a lot of the threads on this and wondered how this could be happening BUT last night I worked up a ladder load and since it was the 10th firing (yeah I know should have been less but short on brass) on a 300WSM and when I ran a feed test I got the click. SO here is why I am perplexed. Every round drops cleanly without any resistance into a Wilson case gauge. Every round headspace is measure and is perfect 0.003 off as it should which is also confirmed by the case gauge. The CBTO is 0.020 off which is measured and I even rechecked the measurement on the rifle as an added precaution and is spot on. BUT a new unloaded case does not give the click which is why I am posting up to the brain trust for help. I am thoroughly perplexed on how there can be a click when the measurements seem to be spot on.

Only 120 rounds through a new barrel. Every case does not have the dreaded ring of "terror" at the base. I measured the bases and all only 0.003 off at most but still drop freely into the case gauge. This is Hornady brass and the loads in past on this lot were not "hot" since I gave up years ago trying to make the 300WSM =300WM. I do think I have a worn ejector (previous barrel had over 1400 rounds through it) and even bought the parts to replace but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

So the brass drops freely into case gauge, headspace is perfect, CBTO measurement is perfect at 0.020 that I wanted, no ring of terror around the base, new unfired case doesn't give the click, BTW-Redding Premium die set with Competition shellholder set used.

OK brain trust, what do you suggest?

Rifle: Remington 700 SA, Magpul stock with Midwest Gunworks AICS mag, 26" Preferred Barrel Remage

If pressure (high) has been eliminated, chances are your sizing die doesn't match the chamber very well. How many firings on this brass and or has it been fired in another chamber?

Beluebo: good point to consider, this lot of brass started on previous barrel where it had 7 firings on it but has 2 on new barrel so this would be the 10th if and when I shoot it. But I did not have any issues before on previous 2 firings. I will post up a pic of the brass as well. It just doesn't make sense to me at this point. I have never had this before and was shocked when I ran a feed test. As I stated, I use the Competition shell holders and they have worked perfect for years so why now? Also, I measured the headspace 2 different methods for new barrel, using comparator plus the firing pin removal, ejector removal etc for perfect bolt feel. Both actually matched up pretty well so I know I am spot on and yes it was with the Hornady brass so no changes there. 45 years of reloading and this shows up so it shows that even IF you think you are doing a good job sometimes a gremlin shows up that just befuddles you.

Beluebo: good point to consider, this lot of brass started on previous barrel where it had 7 firings on it but has 2 on new barrel so this would be the 10th if and when I shoot it. But I did not have any issues before on previous 2 firings. I will post up a pic of the brass as well. It just doesn't make sense to me at this point. I have never had this before and was shocked when I ran a feed test. As I stated, I use the Competition shell holders and they have worked perfect for years so why now? Also, I measured the headspace 2 different methods for new barrel, using comparator plus the firing pin removal, ejector removal etc for perfect bolt feel. Both actually matched up pretty well so I know I am spot on and yes it was with the Hornady brass so no changes there. 45 years of reloading and this shows up so it shows that even IF you think you are doing a good job sometimes a gremlin shows up that just befuddles you.

Sometimes with clickers it takes a firing or two before they start to show up. Defiantly a PITA...Unfortunately Redding discontinued production on 300wsm small base dies. A custom small base is one cure but that's probably another $200+ and several month wait period. There are other band-aid fixes as well.

OK, brass was trimmed to SAAMI before I got the click. No hangfires at all just a bolt lift click. I have been leaning toward tossing brass based upon new chamber and Yes I bet it is way tighter to tolerance than the factory chamber was. So I think I will toss brass since most of the previous firings were in another chamber. I checked several other loads ready to shoot that are on 2x in this chamber and no click ...yet so I bet it is the chamber being tighter. I realize the gauges are SAAMI and not truly representative of a custom barrel but I thought probably in error that rounds still should be OK if they dropped in cleanly. Old dog never too late to learn I guess. I was thinking of getting a body die as a backup for this rifle as well. Good feedback, thanks guys!

no
click is a bolt lift issue at the top of the swing..it does not swing..it clicks at the top.

were talking hang fires here , right ??? clean the bolt and firing pin port , measure pin protrusion before and after , bad primers ???

gotta be specific , with the term clicker around here as of latey

Seriously doubt the Wilson chamber guage and your chamber are exactly the same. You need to put a piece of brass in your calipers length wise. Measure before and after you resize. If it's not sizing the web (.200) line up from the case head, you will get clickers. Hornady snd RCBS gold metal match have the smallest diameter dies. You ideally want .0015-.002" sizing on the .200 line. About 3-4 on the shoulder.

Rhovee, totally agree and looking at getting smaller base die from Redding. My solution for this particular load was to pull entire lot, trashed the brass since it did have majority of loads with other barrel. I did a feed test on the only other load I have right now that was new brass for this barrel and no click etc. I will look at the RCBS gold medal match as well. This is my first build so little bit of a learning curve when you actually have a good barrel to work with! Sometimes you don't know what you don't know but have to recognize it when you do.... I think Yogi Berra said that once. I know. "Who is Yogi Berra"?......

3-4 on the shoulder.....NOT.

Seriously doubt the Wilson chamber guage and your chamber are exactly the same. You need to put a piece of brass in your calipers length wise. Measure before and after you resize. If it's not sizing the web (.200) line up from the case head, you will get clickers. Hornady snd RCBS gold metal match have the smallest diameter dies. You ideally want .0015-.002" sizing on the .200 line. About 3-4 on the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.