The Dreaded "Click" - WHY?

New brass is a short term solution. Your sizing die is too large at the base for your custom chamber. Contact the manufacturer of your sizing die - they most likely will tell you to send them the die plus 3-4 fired casings from your chamber. Wait 6-8 weeks and you'll get a new die back with not much explanation.

Sizing .003-.004 on the shoulder diameter. Not bumping the shoulder back. I was on the topic of how much dies size the case body. Not bumping the shoulders back.

You boys are beyond me on this but just went through much pain dealing with worn 700 ejector on 300 WSM. Was surprised at the weirdness it caused. Asked my smith to replace with Sako style for hopeful more robust trouble free action.

You may not have a die problem. If you fired the brass 7 times in a fatter chamber its grown to that size and it will be hard to bring it back down. If your new chamber is tighter you will have trouble. If you start new brass in this chamber the die may be able to keep up with it. Its much easier to maintain brass than try to fix it once its gotten too fat. Keep in mind clickers come from a diameter interference fit. Nothing to do with shoulder bump.

OK, I have followed a lot of the threads on this and wondered how this could be happening BUT last night I worked up a ladder load and since it was the 10th firing (yeah I know should have been less but short on brass) on a 300WSM and when I ran a feed test I got the click. SO here is why I am perplexed. Every round drops cleanly without any resistance into a Wilson case gauge. Every round headspace is measure and is perfect 0.003 off as it should which is also confirmed by the case gauge. The CBTO is 0.020 off which is measured and I even rechecked the measurement on the rifle as an added precaution and is spot on. BUT a new unloaded case does not give the click which is why I am posting up to the brain trust for help. I am thoroughly perplexed on how there can be a click when the measurements seem to be spot on.

Only 120 rounds through a new barrel. Every case does not have the dreaded ring of "terror" at the base. I measured the bases and all only 0.003 off at most but still drop freely into the case gauge. This is Hornady brass and the loads in past on this lot were not "hot" since I gave up years ago trying to make the 300WSM =300WM. I do think I have a worn ejector (previous barrel had over 1400 rounds through it) and even bought the parts to replace but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

So the brass drops freely into case gauge, headspace is perfect, CBTO measurement is perfect at 0.020 that I wanted, no ring of terror around the base, new unfired case doesn't give the click, BTW-Redding Premium die set with Competition shellholder set used.

OK brain trust, what do you suggest?

Rifle: Remington 700 SA, Magpul stock with Midwest Gunworks AICS mag, 26" Preferred Barrel Remage

Things to take into consideratio . First, are these measuments before or after sizing, next, consider the fact that after so many fireings the brass changes it structure sometimes just enough to do what you are describing. As with work hardening it deforms over time, next, what kind of brass (brand) are you using. Different manufacturers have become known fot. Having londer or shorter life. Think on these and you may answer your own question. My view only of course.

Okay - I give up! I read the term "click or clicker." Can some one PLEASE give an explanation of what it actually means? No firing when trigger pulled, or some bolt problem or? ALL have been alluded to. Thanks.

go read my earlier post...covered there.

Okay - I give up! I read the term "click or clicker." Can some one PLEASE give an explanation of what it actually means? No firing when trigger pulled, or some bolt problem or? ALL have been alluded to. Thanks.

I am absolutely convinced NOW my new barrel is much tighter than the OEM factory and this has been an interesting learning experience if you have never had a custom barrel before. I guess I should have realized what a custom barrel will do when everything I have loaded shoots well.😅 My initial plan is to keep shooting the brass that was formed with this barrel and see if the click returns which will probably tell me I need to consider some die changes. A lot of really replies and very much appreciated.
Thx,
Muddy

The Wheeler production team put together a video showing clickers.

I got a notification on this video earlier and I just watched it.....explains my "clickers"! I torcher tested Gunwerks brass in 6.5prc and I started getting "clickers" a reload ago on 9-10 times fired brass. Time to throw away I suppose.

I've been neck turning a little into the shoulder and was testing that also before I did the other 70-80pcs to make sure I'm not going too deep into the shoulder, been blowing necks off here lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.