The black grey squirrel

When I lived in Massachusetts there was a public park built by Stanley Home Products. They brought in jet black squirrels to inhabit the park. Over the years, the squirrels multiplied and migrated all throughout the community. They were a very common sight there.

The locals say that the squirrels were imported from Brazil, but who knows.
When I lived in Massachusetts there was a public park built by Stanley Home Products. They brought in jet black squirrels to inhabit the park. Over the years, the squirrels multiplied and migrated all throughout the community. They were a very common sight there.

The locals say that the squirrels were imported from Brazil, but who knows.
Makes perfect sense now , Black from opening up all those Brazil nuts !

Not sure how the Toronto, Canada area factors into this thread but whenever I visit my wife's family up there in the winter, the little buggers are around. The first time I commented on them I got a big 'oh hum'
One mans trash is another mans treasure.,keep your eye out I'm looking for a mounted one for a display, I tried painting one , but it ended up looking like it jumped in a bucket of used oil.

We had a gray squirrel make its home in a tall fir tree growing from the center of our chicken pen......that boy got HUGE from eating high protein layer feed. Scared the tar out of me several mornings, leaping up out of the near empty feeder as I came through the door. With the right food source they get bigger than I ever thought possible.

I shot a fox squirrel when I was a kid that had white spots all over it, only one I've ever seen. My grandpa said that was the only one he had ever seen too and he hunted squirrels his whole life. It tasted the same though

I shot a fox squirrel when I was a kid that had white spots all over it, only one I've ever seen. My grandpa said that was the only one he had ever seen too and he hunted squirrels his whole life. It tasted the same though
Didn't save the hide for me ? 😂 , that would have been it, the grand puba of squirrels!
Nice!

We had a gray squirrel make its home in a tall fir tree growing from the center of our chicken pen......that boy got HUGE from eating high protein layer feed. Scared the tar out of me several mornings, leaping up out of the near empty feeder as I came through the door. With the right food source they get bigger than I ever thought possible.
Revenge of the squirrels 😂

I wish I would have kept the hide, at the time I was 10 yrs old and no money for taxidermy lol. I have thought about ever since then.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.,keep your eye out I'm looking for a mounted one for a display, I tried painting one , but it ended up looking like it jumped in a bucket of used oil.
Here's a link to make you want to migrate. LOL
Black squirrels are actually the Eastern Grey Squirrel. The difference in colour comes from a genetic anomaly that prevents their fur from turning grey. Most people agree that black squirrels seem to be dominating the wildlife scene in Toronto.

Why Are There So Many Black Squirrels in Toronto ...

www.wildlifeshield.ca/blog/why-are-there-so-many-black-squirrels-in-toronto/

And with this I will shut up:
1648317679665.png

Black squirrels were fairly common in Michigan where I archery hunted whitetail deer.

I always thought they were simply a different color phase of the fox squirrel. But never researched it to know for sure.

A hunting buddy tried to shoot one with his arrow, and his bear razorhead clipped the tail clean off at its base. He said that black squirrel ran really strangely, without its tail.

Black squirrels were fairly common in Michigan where I archery hunted whitetail deer.

I always thought they were simply a different color phase of the fox squirrel. But never researched it to know for sure.

A hunting buddy tried to shoot one with his arrow, and his bear razorhead clipped the tail clean off at its base. He said that black squirrel ran really strangely, without its tail.
Same here on the color phase ,with me it's a black ,grey squirrel, in California.